Hey there tech heads, need some help

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So I got my new laptop today, and I want to make sure that everything in it is up to date. I updated the graphics drivers already, that was easy. Updated the sound drivers, anything else I need to update?

It's a new laptop. And because I didn't build it, I don't know everything about it. So is there software I can download that will tell me exactly what is in the computer?

Where do you think i should go from here

If it helps you any, It's an HP HDX 16-1140US

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That depends. Windows (I assume you are using that) should probably download most drivers anyway, but that doesn't neccesarly mean they are the latest drivers.

I don't know much about the laptop you are using, but I can see it uses the Montevina chipset, you could check if there are any new chipset drivers. The older Santa Rosa platform had a new chipset driver quite shortly after its release. (checked for it, couldn't find anything about new drivers, but be sure to check for them once in a while (just google 'Montevina chipset drivers'), should be a relativly small file)

Wifi drivers are also updated regularly. The Intel 5100 does have a couple of drivers, latest being...12.1.1.0 I think, so be sure to check that.

Windows should be able to update the touchpad drivers itself, but you could check on those anyway. Not sure which one that laptop uses, but I guess it is the Synaptic touchpad. Latest being v10.1.8

I always have to update my BlueTooth drivers myself, windows doesn't do it for me. So you might want to check on those too.

I think that's pretty much it. All the updates above aren't mandatory, but they can help to speed stuff up, use less CPU power and other resources, and fix some stability issues, if there are any at all.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best cliche to follow here is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If everything works fine, don't bother updating drivers. Update Windows for those security fixes, but don't update every part of your computer unless it isn't working.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That depends on your definition of 'broken'. In a PC, 'broken' doesn't necessarily mean, 'not working'. But rather working not properly. And many people don't know when their pc is not working properly, and updating your drives may speed up many things or lower temperatures of your CPU or GPU (which in turn is better for the life duration of your CPU and GPU). In which case, "It's better to prevent than to cure."

Best answers
Some stuff might help:

Start --> Run --> msinfo32
Start --> Run --> dxdiag

Also if you have bought the laptop, just use the CD's that your supose to be given e.g. drivers and install everything you have.

~ Regards Den - Microsoft Certified Professional

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom