Here's an ambitious project... I'm gonna make my own DBZ movie special

Best answers
Yep, you heard me. No, I haven't lost my mind.

I'm planning to have the movie go for about an hour, it will have some music by Bruce Faulconer, and the storyline will revolve around a war on Namek involving the Namekians and an alliance of Saiyans and an unknown race of Demon warriors. It will have NO correlation with the DBZ series' storyline, however it will feature a few cameo appearances from familiar characters. (Piccolo, Vegeta and Krillin to name a few).

I don't know how many people have tried this, but it's gonna be my studio arts project so that means once I commit to it, I have to see it through.

Anyway here are two of the characters, the Namek Sheng and the Saiyan Rico.

So, tell me what you think. Say exactly what you think. Tell me I'm crazy, wish me luck, whatever. By the end of the year I WILL upload the movie, whether it be without colour, voices or sounds, but I am hoping to have it complete by the 16th of November 2005.

EDIT: Oh yeah, crits on the artwork would be nice too. :D

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No you are not crazy, just insane O_O

Good luck dude!, those drawings look good, but i am curious, can you achieve the same quality of toei animation? i mean of the actual animators?

Would be awsome if you could get close to that...

and the art work? looks good, only the nameks head looks a little to big... but that could be because of the way he is standing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Love to see what you could come up with. That sounds like an enormous amount of work though, good luck to you man.

Best answers
Enourmous amount of work indeed. And I think I could get close to the quality of Toei... in my dreams. :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woah, a Namek in Saiyan armor. That sure looks weird.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Good luck, man.

Best answers
Sounds cool, and call me skeptical but I doubt it'll get very far.... HOWEVER!!! I wish you luck.. Voices? Any possibility you'll cast auditions on the forums? o_o

Comment on the artwork: the torsos and heads seem out of proportion in comparison to the legs. And on the hair of... what was his name again? Rico? It may just be nitpicking, but the hair doesn't seem very saiyan-ish.... The other saiyans had hair that had large spikes created by huge clumps of hair, rather than the several tiny spikes.... But like I said, just nitpicking.... Hey, if it's artistic license I'm all for it.

Good luck, once more...

Best answers
Sorry, I already have the voice cast picked out from a few friends and people from my performing arts class.

I'll take into consideration Rico's hair. The reason it's spiked like that is because originally his hair was completely tied back apart from a few little spikes near the ears, but that looked a little strange so I added a few more spikes, but that totally screwed it up so the only way to cover it was to spike all of his hair.

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
30 frames a second x 60 seconds = 1800 drawings

1800 drawings x 60 minutes = 108000 drawings

108000 drawings / 365 days = ~296 drawings a day.

I don't want to down on your project, but the reality of things is that it's a ridiculous amount of work to do for something you won't be able to show to people beyond your friends. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't even be allowed in animation festivals because it's based on copywritten material. So depending upon your goals for the animation you may seriously want to rethink what your about to start. But hey, if that's where your heart is set go for it. I'm sure most people on the boards would enjoy updates of your progress :0)

So I say, Good luck!

Best answers
you can do a lot of flash effects without doing the entire thing frame by frame. like using motion tween....

and to extend it, you can do 15 frames and repeat it twice, cutting down drawn frames in half.

anyway, i do have to agree that if you're going to do a flash series of this magnitude, it should be more original and not based on a series thats already out. fan work is nice but it's more rewarding to do something you make up urself, especially since u'll run into copyright problems with fan stuff if you plan to make a profit. and if your going to spend this much time, i would WANT to make a profit one day for doing that!

reconsider this, and do something based on what you make urself, you'll feel a lot better knowing its entirely your concept, story, characters and you spent months on it.........

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Linda is right i am afraid, what if they say to stop due to copyright reasons? you don't use the DBZ timeline, but you do use the DBZ races....

well i don't hope that this all makes you feel bad and stuff, since i would love to see what you would make, good luck to you again, you need it. :)

Best answers
I never said I was gonna show it in animation festivals, like I said: It's a studio arts project. It's purpose is solely to get a decent grade in the subject, as well as show my friends. The reson why I chose DBZ as my story base is simple: By the time I come up with my own storyline and characters, that's valuable time down the drain, meaning the final product will not be the best it could have been. It's an art project, so storyline has nothing to do with it. It's about the artwork. It's things like these that will look good on my resume.

I understand why you guys are doubtful, however I know a LOT of techniques which cut down on production time, for example, recycled footage? Anybody notice that in the first season of DBZ? :)

Well if they do say stop (which is highly unlikely unless Funimation go through these forums every day) I'll deal with that bridge when and if I get to it. If it means have to show nobody but my teacher, get a grade, then destroy every copy of the movie, so be it.

*EDIT: Btw, it aint gonna be flash.

Best answers
Hmm... I've thought about it, and I think I'll make a mini-series instead of a full movie. That way I can just make 2 or 3 episodes for art, then make the other few episodes in my free time. :D

Best answers
that sounds more reasonable like that..........

Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Does sound cool man, very time consuming, but cool none the less.

Good luck.

Best answers
THats grate amouth of work.. But hey Good LUCK!! :laff: Hope you will do it... se we can enjoy it :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good luck man, hope it turns out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom