Help Worst Nightmare!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I need help with this I can't open any program like Aim or Msn nothing neither TS or play ESF or half life mods.When I double click to start program I get this error "This File Does Not Have A Program Associated with it performing this action.Creat an Association in the folder Options control panel."I tryed going to Accesibility Option but I get the same error who can I fix this without accessing nothing.I can accest My Computer,My Documents,and other stuff other than run any program!! do I have to reinstall Windows Xp as in Upgrade so it can fix this errors or reformat completely?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vegetto91 said:
I need help with this I can't open any program like Aim or Msn nothing neither TS or play ESF or half life mods.When I double click to start program I get this error "This File Does Not Have A Program Associated with it performing this action.Creat an Association in the folder Options control panel."I tryed going to Accesibility Option but I get the same error who can I fix this without accessing nothing.I can accest My Computer,My Documents,and other stuff other than run any program!! do I have to reinstall Windows Xp as in Upgrade so it can fix this errors or reformat completely?
sounds like you need to... check the microsoft website and see if this has been reported. (from the main page of microsoft, support>knowledge base)

*edit
i think its saying that it cant find a program to open the file with. hmm i dont know how exactly to fix this but, go into a folder, and go to tools>folder options>file types.

*edit 2
alright, go to new file extension: .exe (or whatever your having a prob with) and click on advanced then click on associate file type and look for application, then click ok, ok. i think that will help.

=/\/\C

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already try that >_< omg could it be a virus or something??? a bug in my comp??? I can't take it anymore *MUST PLAY TS MUST USE OTHER PROGRAMS MUST TURN ON MESSENGERS* help! or I will reinstall Xp as upgrade again >_<

--Edit--
Everytime that message box comes another window pops up and says error with explorer the WINDOWS Button and the bar dissapear then they reappear.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vegetto91 said:
I already try that >_< omg could it be a virus or something??? a bug in my comp??? I can't take it anymore *MUST PLAY TS MUST USE OTHER PROGRAMS MUST TURN ON MESSENGERS* help! or I will reinstall Xp as upgrade again >_<

--Edit--
Everytime that message box comes another window pops up and says error with explorer the WINDOWS Button and the bar dissapear then they reappear.
well i guess it would be kinda hard if you cant open exe files to see if you have a virus, also check my post above (i edited again), i think that might help, but if it doesnt help you might have to reinstall xp.

=/\/\C

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*edit 2
alright, go to new file extension: .exe (or whatever your having a prob with) and click on advanced then click on associate file type and look for application, then click ok, ok. i think that will help.

=/\/\C

I try to try that but all it shows is this

Choose the Advanced properties you want for this shorcut

I did this left click then properties I clicked advanced I get that I don't see nothing about associate file or something >_<

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vegetto91 said:
*edit 2

=/\/\C

I try to try that but all it shows is this

Choose the Advanced properties you want for this shorcut

I did this left click then properties I clicked advanced I get that I don't see nothing about associate file or something >_<
hmmm, so you went to folder options>file types>new>advanced and it didnt show associate file type, hmm, did you place in an extension? after you do that you click on the advanced button then bring down the dropdown box and find application.

=/\/\C

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I see a whole list of applications do i go true each one and click associate??

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, this sounds like a virus, i think you should just format your PC, if all of your files are doing this, then it's a definate virus. Unless you have been tinkering with settings lately. But for this to happen just out of the blue, definately a virus.

Best answers
wut did u do before that error came up? did u instaled anything, downloaded anything? messed around with windows?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nevermind people I guess it was some dumbass virus I just format it my comp completely but all my stuff is safe on my other hard drives thanx for your help specially you Mc looks like was a virus.Something I must downloaded from the darn internet.But well may a mod close this the problem has been fixed so I don't see the point for this thread to keep open.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vegetto91 said:
Nevermind people I guess it was some dumbass virus I just format it my comp completely but all my stuff is safe on my other hard drives thanx for your help specially you Mc looks like was a virus.Something I must downloaded from the darn internet.But well may a mod close this the problem has been fixed so I don't see the point for this thread to keep open.
no problem (damn viruses lol)

=/\/\C

Best answers
yea virus's suck.... i usually got reformat once every 3 months o_O

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have some very serious registry damage. Time for a fresh install of windows, which means wiping your drive clean. See if you can save your stuff to safe place to scan with a virus scanner later.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, sorry I didn't see this earlier as I was asleep (GMT time for me), but my friend has experienced this problem before and it was only a small case of registry corruption. All you had to do is fix it running a registry tool or trace out and rewrite the properties for the "shortcut type". Anyway, I'm happy that you were able to solve this.

Vegetto91 said:
Closed on Request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom