Help with UAV

Best answers
I'm new to 3ds Max. I've come to the point where I need to start UV mapping the map I've made. Give me any helpful advice you can as an experienced UV mapper on what I should keep in mind.

I've looked at some very helpful tutorials by Ben Mathis, so I'm aware that I may need to get a third party program like DeepUV. I'm sure it'll be incredibly helpful and time saving since obstacles have fewer parts on them that really stand out.

I'm thinking objects on the outskirts of the map which have large faces on them will act as the seems for the most part.

I know that I'll need to map obstacles such as rocks and mountains separately first.

Would a good possible shortcut be to UV map a rock, clone it, and re-proportion it, and then use DeepUV to relax and reshape the UV mapping I did previously? I think in this way I can save time from having to remap the same objects over and over again.

Will I need to add some edges in order to make the UV mapping look better? When would I want to add new edges?

Simple links and references on UV mapping an actual map would help too. Or if someone wants to UV map it for me, I'd be up for that too.

Best answers
tiling textures, tiling UVs, flatten mapping and then stitch them back together, multi sub textures...theres looooooooads of ways to UV map an environment.

I suggest you go to google, search through websites on terrain texturing/UV mapping. Creating Tiling UVs (the good and the bad side of Tiling UVs).

You can also keep your UV's after changing a mesh if you select "Preserve UV" in the Edit Polygon list (if you add more geomitry it will require editing though).

its important to keep your UVs scaled correctly so make sure you keep snap to grid on in the UV editor.

go do some more research and practise, I'd say work on some lower detailed models to get the hang of UVing, try not to get in over yourself before you learn the basics. UV mapping is one of the most annoying things about modelling so take your time, I've never met any 3D artist in person who actually likes doing UV mapping.

Glode

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom