Help with PC restarting

Best answers
I've searched this forum as well as the esf-world's forums and found no answer to the question I'm about to ask but first my PC specifics :

- AMD Sempron 2300+ 1.6 GHz
- Galaxy GeForce 6600 128/128 + newest drivers from nvidia.com
- Dual 256 ddr 400MHz
- nForce2 motherboard

Everything works well but ESF. Menu appear slower than it should, game loads way slower than on my bro's PC which is slower than mine, and the most annoying thing - when i start my server, go back to menu (by clicking ESC) and go back to the game again it restarts my PC! Can anyone help me out? I've already tried some suggestions from other topics like changing OpenGL to Direct3D and resolution modes, I also tried changing some other options realted to graphics but nothing helps. Seriously, waiting for your help guys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
try scanning for spyware. That usually is the cause of your computer to start slowing down.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
try scanning for spyware. That usually is the cause of your computer to start slowing down.

Maybe so, but I doubt it'd affect only ESF.
CarouseL said:
Everything works well but ESF.
Try reinstalling ESF...?

Best answers
tried both of ur advices before, non of them worked for me, I've scanned my PC with antivirus, ad-aware, tried reinstaling ESF plus I've done scandisk but still nothing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm, it loads relaly slow?

How much RAM do you have? This thing happened to my friend who had 128 MB of RAM and had a bunch of background applications running

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Random resets are almost always a sign of powersource trouble. Does this happen in any other 3d accelerated game?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Defragment your disk. I had this problem way back in the day, but then I defragmented and it was like ZOMG SUPA FAST NOW!!! WEE!!! So try that.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Spunky said:
Defragment your disk. I had this problem way back in the day, but then I defragmented and it was like ZOMG SUPA FAST NOW!!! WEE!!! So try that.
I sincerely hope you were trying to be humorous. If not, I fear for any PCs you are in direct contact with.

Best answers
lol, defragmenting will take about a night. :eek:
But see what you are running in the background too.
Check what sorta stuff you are running in the background. Close all those which are not needed. Disable windows sounds and wallpaer. <I have 128 MB ram, so this makes A HELLUVA difference.>

1. Whats ur OS?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
I sincerely hope you were trying to be humorous. If not, I fear for any PCs you are in direct contact with.
Hey, I don't see you contributing anything to the problem.

And no, I'm not joking, I've had this problem before, and I seriously think defragmenting my hard drive fixed it.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Spunky said:
Hey, I don't see you contributing anything to the problem.
You're not supposed to contribute to the problem, and I'm contributing to the solution by pointing out unsound advice.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe try reinstalling HL/esf/Steam? (or all three as in completely reinstalling all of them). Other then that all I could think of is driver problems.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's your hl version , try updateit ,ar you using esf addons?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
You're not supposed to contribute to the problem, and I'm contributing to the solution by pointing out unsound advice.
Nice job noticing my mistakes in grammar. Forgive me, your highness. And no, you were shooting down my advice, without giving reason as to why my advice was unhelpful. And on top of that, you gave no contribution of your own to the solution.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It's customary to heil before addressing one's fuehrer o/

on-topic: You've only tried playing esf? What about other games?

Try to narrow the problem down some more so you get less stupid "reinstall this/that" suggestions and more something that might help

Or just forfeit your gibson now like you know you should o/

edit: i'd hate to be a forum which couldn't handle nonstandard characters -.-~

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Codeman said:
It's customary to heil before addressing one's f?hrer o/

on-topic: You've only tried playing esf? What about other games?

Try to narrow the problem down some more so you get less stupid "reinstall this/that" suggestions and more something that might help

Or just forfeit your gibson now like you know you should o/
He said "Everything works fine but ESF", thus indicating that he has, in fact, tried other games, and that ESF is the only game that does this.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Spunky said:
Nice job noticing my mistakes in grammar. Forgive me, your highness. And no, you were shooting down my advice, without giving reason as to why my advice was unhelpful. And on top of that, you gave no contribution of your own to the solution.
Reorganizing bits of data that are part of a fragmented filesystem (read: every filesystem Windows can use) will marginally decrease data seek times on the disk. And that's pretty much it.

It's not the "amazing wonder cure" for broken systems. In this case, it definitely isn't...

General, (non-maliciously coded) application layer programs can't force the system into a hard reboot. It's most likely a combination of bad things: Windows being homosexual, the fact that Steam relies on a lot of dlls/libraries scattered across the OS (which may have been overwritten by other program installers), etc. Why this causes a conflict with ESF is unknown, and without access to Steam's source code, there's no easy way to determine the problem (setting a breakpoint and running it through a debugger would probably work quite well).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would just try everything from defragmenting to reinstalling steam

check your drivers, check for viruses/spyware, reinstall ESF, run a system debugger (like kurt said)

but sometimes defragmenting really does solve the problem, i have no idea how but every time ive had a similar problem a defragment solved it

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think his problem it's he has evm addon instaled and he instaled worng and that's way the game crash and exit

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
john_volkov said:
I think his problem it's he has evm addon instaled and he instaled worng and that's way the game crash and exit
I don't think he's running EVM. He seems intelligent enough to have told us that from the start, considering he posted his system specs, and didn't sound like a 10 year old (In general).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom