Help With Cel Shading

Best answers
yo, i'm a noob wen it comes 2 modeling n stuff n i jus started dis week. i noe how 2 fake cell shade da models but wen i try 2 compile, it sayz ************ ERROR ************
too many normals in model: "Gohan"
how can i compile da model? n btw, i used da tutorial on cel shading from da stickies

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
too many normals means too many polies, whats the polycount of your model? i dunno if its true or not cos ive never done it, but if you use the fake cel shading, with the reversing verts and fatboying them, then ur effectively doubling the ammount of polies on the model...so maybe it doesnt like it...

Best answers
i dunno about da polys cuz i'm a noob :( but da vertices r 4062, my friend said dat there mite b 2 many verticies but i dunno.

Best answers
It won't compile because of the reversed vertex faces. You have to many so the model get's errors. The only thing that works is the black out line but not the cel shading effect. It could POSSIBLY work if you got MilkShader.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's just to help :D , the polycount for hl is 3000 so redusing is realy requeted

Best answers
Use proper english, not that "omg look at me im da gangsta!" stuff and you are easier to understand.
And "Too many normals" does mean too many vertexes, not polies. Be sure to use weld on the edited parts.
If it still refuses, do this:
1) Do your "fake cell shade" thing (But do NOT export anything, yet. Leave the original .smd untouched!)
2) Delete the original model, so you only have the "outline"
3) Export it as outline.smd or such into the folder where you decompiled the model
4) Go into the .qc file
5) Look for a line starting with
$body
6) Under that line, make a new line saying
$body "outline" "outline"
Make sure the second "outline" is like you named the outline's smd, just without the smd extension.
That way, you trick the poly/vertex limit of the compiler.

Best answers
If he want's cel-shading he isn't talking about the black outline. He is talking about the cartoon shading on the model, which doesn't export correctly.

Best answers
So he is talking about the unweld-all thing?
reckoning, be more precise on what you did please.

Best answers
He like used the alpha maping duplicate static cell shading in milkshape... there isnt a way i now of that u can export it... ive tried and ive failed....

Best answers
sorry if i confused u. i'm using the effect of the FAKE cel-shading which means putting a black border line around da model den i'm unwelding it 2 give it a 2d feel. i've seen this done in da forums b4 n da models pwn. n btw only da krillin models work. i think its cuz of da model size n krillin has less vertices.

Best answers
well do wat sin goku just told choo ^^ AHH i now why.. its cause you unwelded everything! There is a way to do that with out unwelding... it involves smoothing groups! Figure it out :p

Best answers
So do I have to smooth groups so that it works or can I use Sin Goku's way to compile my model?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when you export a model to smd smoothing groups are unwelded from the rest of the model instead of keeping the actual smoothing groups

Best answers
ahh ok so that wouldnt work... damo lol so yeh u have to use sin gokus way..

Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
too many normals means too many polies, whats the polycount of your model? i dunno if its true or not cos ive never done it, but if you use the fake cel shading, with the reversing verts and fatboying them, then ur effectively doubling the ammount of polies on the model...so maybe it doesnt like it...
You are wrong, it would say the polycount is too high then. :rolleyes:

Autosmooth 'da' model in milkshape, and export.

Best answers
If you also unwelded everything, you can truncate the model into multiple parts and then compile them into one via using more $body parts.
For example devide it into the arms, legs, head, torso and keep making smaller parts with less vertexes until you can compile it without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom