Help with a router

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well i own a Siemens Gigaset SX 763 WLAN DSL router(which is a bulky,ugly piece of crap but since i got it for free from my ISP i can't complain). And around every 24 hrs i get disconnected for a few seconds, presumably for an IP change. Now i've got dynamic IP(obviously) and i do not wish to change that. What i want to know is: is there a way to manually force that IP change anyhow? So i can for example force the IP change before i go play LoL so that it doesn't happen automatically during the middle of the game(which happens often).

Now i tried to restart the router and reconnect in the router options, however the thing still randomly disconnects me at the most inconvenient times.
Also i can never predict when it's going to happen. It should be every 24hrs but it's like the freaking thing just waits for me to start playing LoL or something online to troll me.

If you had any luck reading this poorly written slab of text , please help me :p

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Disconnect your router for 10 minutes and plug it back, and you all set. If it doesn't work, forward your port.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you by chance use Torrents a lot? Some routers can't handle the sheer number of connections.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Do you by chance use Torrents a lot? Some routers can't handle the sheer number of connections.
Nope. I barely download anything lately.

Also Jason, hard reset doesn't work as i said before. I get assigned a new IP however it still changes randomly at a certain time. And port forwarding is not possible on a dynamic IP

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does anyone other than you access that router? And do they use torrents? I have had a similar problem back when I used a router, hence why I am asking. Also, if you have an extra laptop, you could feasibly turn it into a router in its own right.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Does anyone other than you access that router? And do they use torrents? I have had a similar problem back when I used a router, hence why I am asking. Also, if you have an extra laptop, you could feasibly turn it into a router in its own right.
Nope. I'm the sole propeitor of this here router, unless someone managed to get through my WPA2-PSK encryption which i highly doubt is possible around where i live. I live alone so noone is torrenting anything when i'm not around. And no i don't have a laptop at all sadly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think your best bet is getting another router, if that's an option. If so, make sure you grab one that DD-WRT or the other types of fancy custom software is supported.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think your best bet is getting another router, if that's an option. If so, make sure you grab one that DD-WRT or the other types of fancy custom software is supported.
Have you contacted your ISP? Maybe have them replace it and see if the problem persists.
Well i guess i could do that. I'll let you know what happens

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Correct me if i'm wrong, but at least in my country, Dynamic IP means having a static IP given by your ISP until you stop using that line (disconnect, reset your router... etc). Port Forwarding has nothing to do with Dynamic IP unless your router is actually blocking a service's port. I suggest you look upon the router configuration and check if there's any option that automatically ask for a new IP.

EDIT: On second thought... it is VERY unlikely for a router to be doing that automatically, it is probably just malfunctioning... Try looking for a loose cable and if that doesn't work, ask for a new router.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Get a Cisco Linksys E4200 BEST ROUTER YOU EVER GET ;) never had a problem with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom