HELP! PC problems, can't boot pc properly.... :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, well here's the story, this afternoon I saw my pc was lagging for some reason on CoD 2, which it never used to do, so I decreased the visual effects and made the resolution lower, I even brought it down to 640X480 and still lagged, I really never knew what was going on since I didn't change any settings. So I tried overclocking my cpu(which wasn't very clever.....) by increasing the frequency, when I rebooted the pc never went into windows which oddly always happens when i try increasing it, so I set it back.

I then tried changing the CPU performance to "turbo" and then when the pc restarted I got an error message, I rebooted again and it worked fine, but the settings were reset. As nosy and curios as I am I tried setting it to turbo again(I really should stop trying this stuff, I'm such a noob....) then when I restarted I got the same error, I tried rebooting again, the same thing happens over and over and I can't get into my pc, not even to the bios, here's what the error contains:

A beeping sound coming from my box, not from the speakers, and the errors read this:

"Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Well I don't know what disc they are talking about, I tried XP and pressed enter but then they just repeat that capslocked sentence. I would really love if someone could help me with this problem, I'm definetly not changing my bios ever again without any pro nearby, etc. :(

Best answers
Try an easy attempt first: Clear the CMOS. To do so, unplug the computer and (for the sake of simplicity) remove this battery from the motherboard for a few seconds. Then put the battery back in and plug in the computer.

If that doesn't work, then that means you've corrupted your motherboard's bios and need to reflash it.

Information + more here: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=21970

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Hmm why won't you try a driver of ur c..
I think they give you a *disc* not a cd with the driver..
*i got one*
Since it says : Detecting floppy drive A media...
that means u will need that..
O_O i guess O_O
well there is and another solution faster / cheaper / with more % of succes
FORMAT O_O O_O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ar$enovicius said:
Hmm why won't you try a driver of ur c..
I think they give you a *disc* not a cd with the driver..
*i got one*
Since it says : Detecting floppy drive A media...
that means u will need that..
O_O i guess O_O
well there is and another solution faster / cheaper / with more % of succes
FORMAT O_O O_O
Rather unessacary. What you are suggesting has hardly a thing to do with his problem, It isn't his os giving him this problem of not being able to bootup since he's posted what happens at post when turning on his computer.
Mr. Zorg said:
Try an easy attempt first: Clear the CMOS. To do so, unplug the computer and (for the sake of simplicity) remove this battery from the motherboard for a few seconds. Then put the battery back in and plug in the computer.

If that doesn't work, then that means you've corrupted your motherboard's bios and need to reflash it.

Information + more here: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=21970
Agreed, this is the course of action to take.

Best answers
Donnierisk.. I had the same problem twice.

The first time this happened, i unplugged the computer. ANd reseated everything... processor, harddrive, PCI cards.. and crazy enough, it worked.

NOW being stupid, i tried it again... and i got the same error... so i tried the above step. ANd it didnt work. I tried everything i could, and i ended up having to reinstall WinXP. I think i corrupted XP somehow when i overclocked the proc.

Best answers
Let me add that if you get to the point where you need to reflash your motherboard's bios, please get someone who's done it before to either help you along the process, or do it for you.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Yeah, cant you like mess up your motherboard permanently if you reflash your bios incorrectly?
BIOS chip yes. Some boards feature multiple BIOS chips (so if one fails, another one can be used), and they can be replaced (provided that they can be removed from the mainboard).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am in agreement with Smith and Overlord for the solution to this problem, giving you a very rare tech bench hat trick. Use it wisely.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
I am in agreement with Smith and Overlord for the solution to this problem, giving you a very rare tech bench hat trick. Use it wisely.
Smith? Smith didnt even post in this thread Cuc... not unless he changed his name or sumthin without me knowing.

Edit: Nevermind... im an idiot. Smith| = Mr. Zorg, right?

Right :) ~Smiff/Zorg

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^^ thank you very much guys, I never thought anyone would've known about this error, but then again this is esf form, anything is possible.
I'll try everything you guys told me and I'll report back in a few hours.

EDIT:

OMG Zorg, I love you, I'm forever in debt, just took out the battery thing and after a few seconds popped it back in, my pc work, thanx so much, I love you all for helping! I'm definetly not going to try that again any time soon...but I still wonder why my pc is performing so much worse lately, it can't be fragmented files or anything....I defrag and scan for viruses often. can the amount of free disc space also affect in-game performance?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
^^ thank you very much guys, I never thought anyone would've known about this error, but then again this is esf form, anything is possible.
I'll try everything you guys told me and I'll report back in a few hours.

EDIT:

OMG Zorg, I love you, I'm forever in debt, just took out the battery thing and after a few seconds popped it back in, my pc work, thanx so much, I love you all for helping! I'm definetly not going to try that again any time soon...but I still wonder why my pc is performing so much worse lately, it can't be fragmented files or anything....I defrag and scan for viruses often. can the amount of free disc space also affect in-game performance?
Disk space can play a factor, if you're low on it then the windows virtual memory swap file may change the amount of space it will allocate to use.

If a control center of a virus program is left running then it can slow down the system because it's sitting there running and chewing resources while you're gaming, so I'd try closing it before gaming.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HDD space is critical when you have low or mid ranged RAM capacity. The system works in a way that moves the unused or non-focused processes from high speed dynamic ram, to slow as your grandma physical hdd space. If this space is low, the dynamic ram stays clogged.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AHA, I understand, I'm not sure is something like that called the bottle neck effect or something? then I better delete my unused programs....I'm the type of person that keeps anything for no reason......I should realise that I won't use those old stuff again...

Best answers
donnierisk said:
OMG Zorg, I love you, I'm forever in debt, just took out the battery thing and after a few seconds popped it back in, my pc work, thanx so much, I love you all for helping!
Hehe, no problem donnierisk.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
AHA, I understand, I'm not sure is something like that called the bottle neck effect or something? then I better delete my unused programs....I'm the type of person that keeps anything for no reason......I should realise that I won't use those old stuff again...
No, bottlenecking is when you have a fast part paired up with a slow part. Your machine is just bogged down with processes.

For instance, I have 2GB of RAM, my system cache is 900MB of that, leaving 1.1GB of free ram for whatever. The kernel is taking up 90MB, with only 20MB actually loaded into RAM. If my ram were smaller, say 512MB, you can see how that 900MB of loaded processes would force me into using my HDD as memory, or worse yet, force certain processes to not load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom