Help! My folk's Computer has Lost Internet Capability!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
We tried that once, but the pc is custom made and the d-link router card (the one with the antenna) has a useless bit of metal on it that prevents me from installing it correctly because the motherboard is too close to the inside of the CPU tower's walls. It'd probably work for my computer since mine's made by HP. Haven't tried it yet. I'm getting the urge to, so my folks could at least not worry about who's online and when, and they won't have to keep unplugging that thrice-damned cord from the computer.

A little update on the situation: System restore failed to fix the problem one iota. I was going to buy the NIC Card today (we were going to the Best Buy anyway just to buy a DDR Dance-Pad for my brother anyway) but that plan sank for some reason or another.
FYI, a router isn't a card that goes inside your computer (most routers at least that you will come across). You are probably referring to a Wireless network card.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DAMNIT! I just got a card with an extra ethernet port but it was to absolutely no effect. The computer recognizes a connection, but then says it has little to no connectivity, and when I try repairing it, it can't renew the IP Address. Worst of all, my folks point blank refuse to pay again for Geek Squad to sort it out so I'm up **** creek, and I'm NOT sharing my goddamn internet forever, I've put up with it long enough as it is...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your internet?, if you still live with your folks, its safe to assume they pay for it as well, and maybe a small/large chunk of your pc as well =/, show some respect lol.

i had some problems with this some time back, just for ****s and giggles try power cycling both the modem and router/hub, (if you use one). its what any tech support guy would tell you to do.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
your internet?, if you still live with your folks, its safe to assume they pay for it as well, and maybe a small/large chunk of your pc as well =/, show some respect lol.

i had some problems with this some time back, just for ****s and giggles try power cycling both the modem and router/hub, (if you use one). its what any tech support guy would tell you to do.
Agreed.

If powercycling fails, I would try doing the following. Go to start menu > run > cmd, then type in the following commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
Instructs the network host to dump all cached DNS entries.

ipconfig /displaydns
Instructs the network host to display all cached DNS entries.

After you have done that, run Winsockfix. Winsockfix rebuilds the windows TCP/IP stack. After you have run winsockfix, go back to cmd and type the following:

ipconfig /registerdns
Instructs the network host to register its hostname and IP dynamically to the local DNS servers.

If all else fails, a word to your ISPs tech support may be handy, and in the worst case scenario backup all your paretns required/important data and reformat their system.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Have your tried setting your own I.P's?
I had this problem recently actually, I just assigned I.P's to both computers.
And not a problem since.
And try running the Network Set-up wizard.
Make sure you try different ethernet cables and what not.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
Have your tried setting your own I.P's?
I had this problem recently actually, I just assigned I.P's to both computers.
And not a problem since.
And try running the Network Set-up wizard.
Make sure you try different ethernet cables and what not.
Network setup wizard is a waste of time IMO, maybe user friendly to the not so tech savy but there are better ways of setting a network. Manually set IPs make it easier across my home network to perform maintenance (IE: I need to fix my mum;s computer, I'm to lazy to walk up the stairs, so I just use tightvnc or any other remote access client to take over her pc temporarily to fix her issues, and some Remote access clients require you to enter a IP adress, and if you know if off by heart you know who's computer you are accessing).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord, you are the hero of the day! It worked!!! In fact, I'm typing this from the folks computer right now! God I'm happy! I owe you one dude, just say the word and I'm there, be it with art or whatever! I'm extremely grateful for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom