Help me, PC gaming menz!

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So, here's the scoop. I have just over two weeks until classes resume for me, and I'm looking for something to pick up and play in that time before I lose myself to the wonders of the lecture hall again. However, I've noticed something of a drought in decent titles as of late (as far as the more publicized games go), so that's where the awesomeness that is you guys comes in.

Here are, more or less, the criteria that might help you think up some suggestions. Please check back in this post every once in a while, as the criteria may change, and the more specific they are, the easier it is to come up with ideas:

- Please stick to the PC as a platform. I don't have a 360 or a PS3, and I highly doubt I'll bother picking either up. I do have a Wii, but, until Team Ninja's Metroid game hits the shelves, I'm not sure there's much there I want :p

- Try to avoid RTS, turn-based strategy, and sports games. I've had more than my fill of strategy for a while, and I just plain don't like sports games, heh.

- Also try to avoid console ports or something that seems very "console-ish" unless it's really exceptional. Stuff like Prototype, Assassin's Creed, or GTA4, or other somewhat-free-roaming, third-person games come to mind as examples of what I want to avoid. I'm sure they have their merits, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

- Age is not a factor. My PC can handle anything brand new well enough, and I don't, at all, mind games that are showing their age. As long as they work well enough with XP (without too much finagling in DOS Box, if your recommendations are that old), that's fine.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Last edited:
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not much of a PC gamer, but I hope these suggestions are good enough for you:

Bioshock, Mass Effect (ports, I know, but those games are an absolute must), TF2, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Knights of the Old Republic, and Knights of the Old Republic 2.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Monkey Island 2 and 3.

Uhm.. Baldur's Gate or something? BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale.. that kind of stuff.?

Far Cry 2 is pretty good if you don't mind walking through a desert. :p

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Yes, Bioshock and Fallout 3 are awesome. :D

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually have Bioshock, Mass Effect, TF2, Fallout 3, and KotOR. All very good. L4D is still not worth the price tag, though; I haven't changed my stance on that :p

BG2 is something I am playing through, but I'm doing so with a friend, so part of that rests on his availability. I suppose I can play through it again on my own if I can't find anything else. NWN 1 and 2 (with expansions and all) are things I've played through pretty recently.

Monkey Island games might be decent time-wasters, though :)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle,Grim Fandango, World of Goo,System Shock 2,FreeSpace 2, Mafia, Deus Ex, Sacrifice,

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, although you probably have it, and if you don't you need your head checked.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, although you probably have it, and if you don't you need your head checked.
You needn't worry. I've played D2 to death just like any respectable person would.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You may have heard of it through Hib, but Cave Story is a fun and free game with gameplay similar to other games I know you love.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
COD4 - Few years old but great game.
Swat 4 - Few years older still but also a lot of fun.

If you want to browse my vast library of games you can click the sig and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
L4D is quite worth the tag now that it has two DLC's for free on the PC

You have 3 game modes if you exclude single player. You have 5 campaigns (as of the end of september), add on campaigns from the community are coming out. VS mode alone can keep you going for quite some time.

But if you've been unimpressed, then there's little I can do to change your mind.

The old Delta Force games are on steam now too, and if you've never given them a whirl they're interesting. Especially BHD and BHD team sabre.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Why has nobody mentioned space quest (or leisure suit larry if you're feeling dirty)

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
The Gothic series (mainly 1 and 2, 3 was kind of fail though it looks pretty)

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sting is a nice arcadish style theft game. Quite fun really XD

Validated Steam Engine
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
PC games, let's see.... first off I second the suggestion of Deus Ex, Day of the Tentacle, and the Monkey Island series (recently replayed the 3rd and currently replaying the first two myself), also I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned Sam & Max: Hit the Road and Broken Sword. There's also Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, I assume you've already played Alien vs Predator 1 + 2, if not, then you're a bad bad person. There's also Freelancer and it's many many mods (another must play).

EDIT
Oh, and if you want to go back a bit further, Carmageddon is awesome. Not sure how well it works under XP but I'm sure one of it's sequels probably does.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
PC games, let's see.... first off I second the suggestion of Deus Ex, Day of the Tentacle, and the Monkey Island series (recently replayed the 3rd and currently replaying the first two myself), also I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned Sam & Max: Hit the Road and Broken Sword. There's also Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, I assume you've already played Alien vs Predator 1 + 2, if not, then you're a bad bad person. There's also Freelancer and it's many many mods (another must play).

EDIT
Oh, and if you want to go back a bit further, Carmageddon is awesome. Not sure how well it works under XP but I'm sure one of it's sequels probably does.
While Freelancer is nice. It looses in the indepth story to Starlancer XD

And the capital ship explosions are way better in starlancer XD

Validated Steam Engine
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
I started playing Starlancer (we found out about it after beating Freelancer) but I don't think I got very far in it.....I can't remember why, I think it was the Dreamcast kept crashing. :(

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Some good suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it.

@Pain: I do have CoD4 and have played it to death, but I haven't played a SWAT game since SWAT 2. I'll take a look at what SWAT 4 is all about.

@Cuc: For you, I'll consider L4D if it ever goes on sale in the near future. Delta Force games sound interesting, if they were anywhere near as fun as their predecessors from the late '90s.

@Dev: Classics! If I can find them, I will certainly consider them.

@Ready: I don't think I've ever played a Gothic game. I'll look 'em up!

@Grega: Is Sting still for sale anywhere?

@Cap J: I think my buddy had recommended the Sam & Max games, too. He said he found them a bit frustrating for his taste, but I think I'm far more masochistic as far as games go than he is. They're point-and-click adventure style games, correct? Freelancer I have, somewhere. My biggest problem with it would be finding where I put it, heh. Also, I have played AvP, so no need to worry :p

Thanks guys! It seems I have some homework to do, here. One of these suggestions (or more, if I'm proactive) should be a valuable lead, I'm sure.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, really, any of the lucasarts titles they put on steam. Also, Kings Quest collection just got posted a few days ago, and was totally worth it to me for the nostalgia XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom