Help me find a budget system?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alrightehhh, finally got a little bit of money to buy a new system. I have $100 to spend on a new motherboard and cpu. I have no idea what I'm doing so I thought I would ask around here.

I want a motherboard that supports PCI-E, thats about the only requirement I have for the motherboard. I don't really care about the processor, just has to be amd (maybe 64?) and over 1.5ghz (I have been stranded on 1.1ghz and under for years). I do plan to do a bit of gaming, really the main reason I am upgrading to a system with PCI-E and AMD64. I don't know about memory, I would like to keep the memory I have, I have 768 megs of DDR ram (184 pin), but if the new system requires something else, I will have to try and squeeze it in later ( I do plan to be on the onboard video until I can afford a new video card).

I am just tired of my current system always failing on me. I can barley get any of my 3D stuff done on it, and doing so is a massively unstable task. I know PCI-E video cards are faster, more abundant, and cheaper than AGP cards, so I need to make the switch. I just want a stable somewhat new system that I can use to do my 3D work and maybe play some HL2: DM (but my main concern is playing TS3 and other HL1 mods:rolleyes: ).

So...if anyone can help me pick out a nice motherboard and CPU combo for under $100, it would be great. The items have to be from newegg or another trusted site that takes credit cards (my paypal account is ****ed).

[edit]

I picked these out after lookin for a bit, nothin final, just wanted to know if anyone thinks they would be a good combo

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anything wrong with biostar? I <3 asus, but there are a bunch of complaints about instability, plus VIA chipsets :(.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya I deleted my post for that reason. Me personally I stick to popular name brands like Asus, Gigabyte and etc...
I just bought an Asus m2n-sli deluxe, 2gb of Geil dual channel memory and a AMD Athlon X2 6000+ for under $500 though I had to get someone to ship it to me up here in Canada because newegg is a ***** who does not ship across borders go figure. So cost me a little extra for the shipping here and who knows if I have to pay a weight cost when it comes because **** going through the border is always a pain in the ass.

Also with products like motherboards and such I like to see a users review on it and see if there are any known problems mentioned by a lot of other people and I checked out that motherboard you had in mind and theres no reviews or nothing which blows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, I have had really good experiences with ASUS hardware in the past. I had a geforce3 ti500 for about 3 years, I bought it from a friend who had it for awhile too, and I had no problems with it at all, was probably the most stable card I have ever had. But when I got HL2 it wasn't cutting (only a 64mb card) it and I "upgraded" to a card that died in about 6 months, and while using the new card I lost it somewhere.

I will look around and buy something tomorrow, but I will most likely stay with that processor, it sounds good, it's really cheap and everyone seems to like it. I just have to find a mobo for it, but thank god it's a bit under my budget, I might be able to fit in a video card (even the geforce 7 series is within my price range after the mobo and cpu combo...damn).

[edit]

Just saw this one, never heard of the brand, but it's got really good reviews, but the only downside if I get this is no video card for awhile, but the onboard will probably do for awhile

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186115

oh snap, and onboard DVI O_O

[edit..again]

Ok, was looking some more, I think I'm sold on this combo:

If anyone can find something better on newegg and around the same price, please tell me, otherwise I think I'm gonna go ahead and get this tomorrow.

Best answers
You're going to need to buy a HSF for that cpu. If you buy them when they're listed as OEM, they don't come with one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HSF? Heat sink and fan?

[edit]

Ok, here is my final order:

I just hope I don't get any dead parts :(. But I picked the parts that didn't have any DOA complaints, or at least I didn't read any.

Best answers
If you still haven't bought it yet I would recomend a different setup. Since you could go over budget a little...

The motherboard has an AM2 socket which makes it friendlier for later upgrades and has DDR2 memory slots for cheaper/faster ram.
The ram is a DDR2 1GB big module which should be enough in your case.
The CPU is should also be enough.

These parts are chosen to be very upgrade friendly unlike the ones you choose. Since both the socket and ram slots are getting pretty outdated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom