Help, maybe changing Video card HELP

Force Pit Member
Best answers
xD alright.

So this is my Motherboard http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915pcy/sb/CS-012065.htm

Now I want to get a video card that will serve me well for the coming years and after I will replace my current PC I will be able to not buy a new Video Card because this one will serve me.

Oh my processor is 3 GHZ celeron or pentium 4 not sure though xD but its 3 GHZ
RAM - 1 GB
my current video card is Nvidia Geforce 6200 Turbo Cache

Now what is the best you guys can get me with lets say 165$

Come on and thank ya!

oh, and do you think it worths it?

help

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We really need more information on your PC, what kind of PSU do you have?
also I really suggest you infest in some extra memory too! make it 2 gig's

Anyway, seeing as you do have PCI express, I suggest a 8800GT 512 MB
it should be around 150-200 euro, same price in dollars

but you need a 400+ PSU for that to be on the save side!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well I remember that if you click on the DirectX it gives you a detail of your PC hardware, but I can't seem to find it.

How do I check ALL of my PC hardware?

I need to know what information you need!

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well I remember that if you click on the DirectX it gives you a detail of your PC hardware, but I can't seem to find it.

How do I check ALL of my PC hardware?
The PSU is the power supply unit in your case. Bigger and expensive video cards mostly use up a lot of power and your PSU needs to be able to handle that. I don't know through which software can see what PSU you are using, but open your case and see how much "W" is on the case of the PSU.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
hmm do you mean the ATX case? its 500W

says: intel approved ATX 500W

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Not the case itself, I meant inside the case. The big black/white cube thingy mostly at the top in the case. But, I assume ATX 500W is the PSU W. Which, should be enough for the video card.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
How much a 8800 GT needs? and how can I check how much Watt each card needs?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nvidia is always a bit fuzzy on the wattage area, but they recommend a minimum of 400 Watt's (as I've said before!)

http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/fx/HelpMeChoose.asp <- look there, ignore the prices though they don't update it that often! :p

Hey dude, I want to do some upgrades on my system since I don't think theres a point in getting those dual core or a brand new complete system.

Well I thought if you might help me in live chat like MSN or Steam or something. Nothing big, I just wanna know if it worths to add/change some stuff without buying a all new complete system.

Please contact me, I need help
I'm afraid your system won't last for several years, especially with modern games being more and more optimised for dual cores.
still it's a slow process and most gamers do game on single core cpu's still

With this new graphics card you'll be able to play some of the new games, but due too a "old" Processor and not enough memory it might get sluggish.

the CPU really isn't that bad, and it might last another year so before it becomes really obsolete, however, you just don't have enough memory in your pc
modern games needs ATLEAST two gig's for it to run smoothly.

so my advice is get the 8800GT, upgrade your memory and you're set for some 1280x1024 gaming! :)

ps. the reason I posted your PM here is because I might be wrong and others could point that out if that's the case

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
OK thanks. But if ill upgrade the video card and the RAM how much time do you think my PC can still be good for the new games?

And if ill upgrade the video card and RAM, isn't the processor gonna slow down the game so the investment of new card and RAM doesn't really worth it?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you're not willing to spend alot of money so there is only so much you can do.

however in my opinion this should last you atleast a year or two, but that might be a bit optimistic

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Money makes the world go around.

ok hmm well ill see, do you think it will let me play the upcoming Empire: total war in good frames with a decent quality?

I think gta 4 is a bit over the top

well the Help me Choose website you gave me tells me to get 8500GT

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it will, it will just underclock which isn't bad at all, it's probably cheaper to get slower memory modules though.

try to make them the same speed as the ones you have now

Best answers
I would say the 8800GT great card, the biggest problem is though a lot people get confused with PSU, the watts help but its not the biggest prob, you want a PSU with a 2 12v rails otherwise your comp will just crash over and over and end up screwing up the graphic card. Also if your planning on gaming you want to get a PSU that is pretty well know and has good reviews (lots of bad PSU out there that dont take much to blow) I would recommend the Thermaltake W0104-RB Toughpower 650Watt ATX Power Supply, its the perfect PSU for the 8800gt, not loud and has great cooling.

If you cant get hold of that PSU go with any Thermaltake 2 12v rail PSU or the
Corsair TX 750W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU but Corsair are a bit more pricey then Thermaltake.

*EDIT* If your looking at RAM also make sure its the same MHz as your current because if u buy faster or slower then your computer will be slower then it is currently.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I have a 8800GTS and a 400W Power Supply, never had any problems.

Best answers
I have a 8800GTS and a 400W Power Supply, never had any problems.
Thats pretty risky on ur PSU side, the 8000+ models all require alone 425W also a 12v rail, depending on ur CPU ur PSU might not have long to live *dum dum dum*

*EDIT*
A 425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more *Minimum system power requirement based on a typical PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I have a Intel Core Duo E6750 CPU, 2.66GHZ (2 cpu's). I've had this pc for almost a year now, and never had any kind of video card problems.

Best answers
ur lucky that the PSU hasnt gone or when in the middle of heavy taxing games ie crysis ect ur comp turns itself off to stop it from serging.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the 8000+ models all require alone 425W
that's absolute bull**** Gama!

the 8800GT uses, when fully stressed about 150~ watt TOPS
and just a fraction when idle.

I mean seriously, how can nvidia even recommend a 400 watt PSU if the card required 425 watt to run

the recommended PSU that's needed is based on a working system with demanding gear so it should work without issues.
heck, on his system it should run fine on a 350-300 watt PSU

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom