Help buying a car!!!!

Best answers
Yup, bout time for me to start looking for cars... I have a problem though, I cant find any websites to look at them from. I only know of 2 websites.. www.cars.com and www.autotrader.com.

SO, If you guys would be so kind to give me some used car websites... if you know any. I heard of this one thing called "goggle"... wait! No... OH, thats right, it was "Google" I think.. .but it didn't favor too well for me. :p

BTW, if anyone is interested, here are some cars I've been looking at so far. What are your thoughts???

[url="http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=203467968&dealer_id=57931566&min_price=1&distance=25&lang=en&end_year=2007&make=PONT&address=48446&start_year=1981&certified=&isp=y&max_price=4000&advanced=&search_type=both&model=[/url]

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205184702&dealer_id=56426037&min_price=1&distance=25&lang=en&end_year=2007&make=OLDS&address=48446&start_year=1981&certified=&isp=y&max_price=4000&advanced=&search_type=both&model=

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205184702&dealer_id=56426037&min_price=1&distance=25&lang=en&end_year=2007&make=OLDS&address=48446&start_year=1981&certified=&isp=y&max_price=4000&advanced=&search_type=both&model=

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=204818756&dealer_id=56426037&car_year=1998&model=SONOMA&num_records=&bkms=1154262063986&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&mod_bookmark_id=null&certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=GMC&min_price=1&address=48446&advanced=&end_year=2007&max_price=3000&cardist=22

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=204097966&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=0&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_21_%7CB-3000%7CD-_235_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-48446&aff=national

KyoKusanagi

K
Isn't there a Trading Post newspaper you can pickup or even flick through the Auto Trader magazine. Thats sure to turn up something?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your best bet is to get a membership to consumerreports.org. They have a great rating system for every car in existence and it is dead on accurate--I looked up cars my friends had and they had warnings against all the parts that died on them first.

I used it to buy my car. It has great mileage (better even then some of those rip off hybrids), it can take a beating (got into an accident and barely got hurt), and is discontinued, which 9/10 times means that it is a great car and they discontinued it because it got too good a mileage rating and lasted too long, thus never needing a high turnaround on replacement parts.

Trust me man. Get a membership to Consumerreports.org. Or go to the store and get the Consumer Reports Auto Guide, it's the same thing. Just remember that the more recent the car the less accurate the reliability report will be, because it relays on surveys from auto repair shops and car owners and obviously newer cars will have had less problems so they will mostly seem great. I read the 2001 guide and thought the 01 Volkswagen Passat was the most reliable car ever made, until I became a member and saw that now in 2006, it has a horrible rating, cause it's been around longer and people have more accurate ideas of it's shelf life.

Yeah. It will be your best friend in making sure you don't get ripped off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a Honda Civic, don't get a truck, Truck = Alot Of Gas Money.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're better off buying a certified pre-owned. Granted they're more expensive. But you know you're not getting ripped off.

Best answers
Well, here lies my problem... I have a budget of about $3,000. Keep in mind, im turning 16 in September and I dont get my license until Febuary (atleast), but I think it is smart to start saving up money. So Im kinda stuck with a car with high mileage and older than most.

Now, about them cars I showed you guys. Anyone advise against any of them? And does anyone like any of them?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First one has been in an accident.
Second is an oldsmobile...'nuff said
Third one something has to be wrong with it for that kind of price.
Last one no.

Just because you get your license whenever doesn't mean you need to get a car right away. If you were smart you'd save up your money until you had enough to buy a decent car. 3,000 dollars will buy you a car for about a month. After about a month your car will break down and you'll end up having to save another 3,000 for another car that will last you a month. But you don't want to trust me? That's fine, you'll be sorry in the future.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's why he should use consumer reports. He could see what of the cars in his price range is going to last the longest.

Best answers
I totally disagree with the fact that 3000 dollar car runs only for about a month. Oh well i live in finland though, but my father bought car for less than 1000€, and it still runs nicely.
The thing is that you have to know what to look for when checking out car you gonna buy. Best way is always to have a test drive and listen to the sounds from the engine. Also pay attention to the steering and suspension. Also looking under a car can also help. See if it leaks any fluids or oil, and if theres any rust.
Checking those all is at least what you must do when buying a old car.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can spend more than $5000 on a car and still get a dud. Just be sure to get whatever it is you're looking to buy checked out at a shop before you buy it. It might cost a bit, but it could save you from buying a car that is in bad shape or has had the miles rolled back.

Definitely get a car though. Gas prices are going to continue to shoot upwards, and not many people are going to be admiring your truck when you show them how much it costs to fill.

Best answers
Yeah, gas mileage is my #1 concern.... followed by reliability, then looks :p

So I should save up for like a couple of years and then buy a car when I have like atleast 5000 saved up? Sounds good to me.

oh btw, whatever I make, my dad is gonna put up the same amount. If i make 1000, then I really have 2000. Pretty sweet....

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's my run down:

Milage: 4 cylinder, 2.0 liter or less displacement, PORT FUEL INJECTED

Reliability: 4 cylinder. 2.0 liter or less displacement

Japanese Makes: Probably Toyota, Mazda, Honda, in that order.

4 bangers are very fuel efficient, especially with fuel injection. They are usually pretty reliable, I recommend immediately changing your timing belt if it has any where near 50,000 miles, unless they assure you it has been changed already. Some import four bangers have a timing chain, they are preferable to belts in every way. A chain will not have to be changed. As an added bonus, import 4 cyls are usually easy to fix.

Best answers
Hmm... I was gonna go for a FI 4cyl anyways.... maybe a V6, but definately with FI. So I should definately go for a Foreign made car?

What type preferrably? Japanese made?

Oh, btw... I found a car!

1995 Mazda 626

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't recommend Mazda enough. I had a 89 1.6 MFI Mercury Tracer (actually a Mazda 323 manufactured under license) that got 1,000,000 miles, and had 53 mpg. It only had two major break downs from wear in that million miles, both were timing belt issues. The car was involved in 3 accidents, the last finally killed it (head on while my dad was driving it). One accident was at 300,000 miles, a side impact at 40 mph, and the car survived it. The only thing that broke was a spider gear in the transmission. It was replaced and ran worry free for another few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom