Heliodisplay

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy Crap! *JAW DROP* I am happy! I never thought this would happen until I was an old fart :O!

The only thing is I think this only projects in 2d. It's like having a monitor with just the picture, minus the rest.

Best answers
I've a few questions about this, can they be connected to a computer or a satelite reciever or analog antenna/cable, are they high definition, how large are they, what can they connect to,and how much are they? I dont expect any of you to answer these questions, i'm just curious. I bet they are going to cost upwards of atleast $3,000.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I've a few questions about this, can they be connected to a computer or a satelite reciever or analog antenna/cable, are they high definition, how large are they, what can they connect to,and how much are they? I dont expect any of you to answer these questions, i'm just curious. I bet they are going to cost upwards of atleast $3,000.

Visit their website @ http://www.io2technology.com

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh my God, my prayers have been answered. o_O

Best answers
holy crap.. i am speechless.. but excited at the same time!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart said:
I bet they are going to cost upwards of atleast $3,000.
I know you probably said that to shock, but thats actually the cost of a modern industry projector. My school bought one for about that.

This rocks, between this and Dewds recent thread I have a newfound respect for humanity o/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soon, we'll all have machines that project holograms!!! Yay!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woa, this is interesting news, but is it for t.v-like use or communication use? If they can make it cost-effective, I can picture this being in the average household eventually.

But then we will have a wave of starwars/halo knock offs -_-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, so it's not going to cost upwards of $3000? Thats great!
Er...you got that backwards, i'm saying a standard large projector is $3000 (ours was £2200) so the Heliodisplay is likely to be more depending on projection size.

I'm quite surprised at how far along it is. Usually when we see threads like this you get 'a working prototype will be constructed by 2008'. They've announced it and got a working model. WINNAR!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's finally happened! !_!

I wonder though, how exactly does it work? I mean, the light has to be bouncing off of something, but there's nothing there. I always figured holograms couldn't exist for that reason, that they'd have to bounce the light off smoke or something. o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.io2technology.com:8080/dojo/204/v.jsp?p=/technology/images

the videos are pretty cool, but from reading the overview it seems like it works as a humidifier, but they claim it just sucks air in and ejects it. This could easily be created with a fog machine and an old projector, minus the touch movibilty ofcourse :p. I think its cool and all, but its just another device that looks cool untill you see how it actually works. If you watch the videos [particularly the medical demonstration] you can clearly see the light uses the ejected air as a screen [like light on fog] . I still think its cool and gets us one step closer to holographic display, maybe im just too hard to impress :(.

Best answers
If it's just projected on air, then how the hell does this work;
Instead of a mouse, a viewer uses their hand (no special glove needed) to move an image, or a finger to move the cursor

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
If it's just projected on air, then how the hell does this work;
It works with lasers. There are already laser-based computer keyboards that project the letters of a keyboard on your desk, and the device registers the movements of your fingers. Your fingers break the beams and reflect the light back, and the device is programmed to register this as control input. This heliodisplay will most likely work in a similar way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HOLY MOTHER OF PERARLE!1!1

I thuoght I'd never see science get THIS advanced.

I'm so glad their doing this. Imagine this:

Have the image surrounding a room your in, you on a ball-like pad, wear a suit, and bam. Kung Fu virtual reality :D!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightTerror said:
This could easily be created with a fog machine and an old projector, minus the touch movibilty ofcourse :p. I think its cool and all, but its just another device that looks cool untill you see how it actually works. If you watch the videos [particularly the medical demonstration] you can clearly see the light uses the ejected air as a screen [like light on fog] .
Yeah, so it does kinda work how I figured (I've always wanted to try the projector on smokescreen effect, screwing with smoke and laser pointers is good fun).

Don't get ahead of yourselves with the virtual reality ideas, though. Remember, it's just light. There's no "feeling" to any of it (unless you're incredibly sensitive to light: AHHH IT BURNS!). That's for the waaaay future, I guess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
Yeah, so it does kinda work how I figured (I've always wanted to try the projector on smokescreen effect, screwing with smoke and laser pointers is good fun).

Don't get ahead of yourselves with the virtual reality ideas, though. Remember, it's just light. There's no "feeling" to any of it (unless you're incredibly sensitive to light: AHHH IT BURNS!). That's for the waaaay future, I guess.
Holodecks ftw! o/

Best answers
It's a step closer though. Quite revolutionary imo, I wasn't expecting anything like this for years.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I agree with you there, it's a technological breakthrough, it can only get better and more advanced.

Now to get a helio-holographic woman to greet me when I come home ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom