Heh, Oblivion is going to be awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just some little snips of a couple interviews I found:

Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber, because they like to go off and do things that really mess the world up. A few weeks ago there was an instance where a player dropped the "Skull of Corruption," an artifact that when used on an enemy makes an evil clone of that enemy. He was just testing and wanted to make sure the object used the physics correctly when dropped. So he drops it and an NPC runs up, grabs it, and shoots the player with it—creating an evil version of the player who starts killing everyone. It was hilarious.
And

It was written in the code that every day at 3 pm, Man 1 would rake leaves and Man 2 would sweep. This all seemed fine and dandy until the devs gave Man 1 the broom and Man 2 the rake. Man 1 ended up killing Man 2 so he could get his rake so he could do what he wanted.
I can't wait to play with the AI's head :p.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crazy, sure, but like they said, they've been making the NPCs dumber. I'd rather they leave the uber smart AI in with a disclaimer rather than make it idiot-proof for the player.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or have it adjustable via a slider in the options menu

Best answers
Crazy, sure, but like they said, they've been making the NPCs dumber. I'd rather they leave the uber smart AI in with a disclaimer rather than make it idiot-proof for the player.
I don't think they're making it the AI dumber in a literal sense, just restricting what they can do so as not to mess the game up for the player. I doubt the changes they're making have any real impact on how the player see's the AI, it just makes sure they don't mess up quests or do something that puts the player in a very awkward, not so fun situation.

This game is number one on my waiting to play list. I've not been playing games all that much lately, but I get the feeling this one is going to have me shut up inside my room for days regardless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never heard of this game. However, good AI is always good news!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have never even heard of this game, but it scares me o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never really liked games like this, but everytime I see it, Oblivion is getting cooler and cooler. I just might have to get this when it comes out.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, certainly those of you who haven't heard of Oblivion have heard of Morrowind (best-selling RPG for both PC and X-Box a few years ago). Oblivion is the next chapter in the Elderscrolls series. With the voice cast including both Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean, as well as the fact that it'll be an open-ended game just like Morrowind, I've been sold for the longest time.

I was rather impressed with the E3 footage that showcased the AI, and that tidbit you posted, Smith, is just as impressive, heh.

I just hope that it's actually going to be released, this time, and not get pushed back yet again.

🍂 Regular
Best answers
I am really looking forward to this game, I already pre-ordered the Special Edition for the X-Box 360 :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh my god, i just had the most awesome-est idea. If the AI is as smart as they claim it to be, then lets say this happens:

Respected Man is Assassinated.
Soldiers of Respected Man find Assassinator.
Assassinator's Employer kill the Solders of Respected Man.
Soldiers' friends kill Asassinator's Employer.

OMFG THERE WILL BE ALL-OUT WARFARE!

But on top of that, the brooming and raking scenario is great.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I laughed so hard when I read that. It's awesome.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never heard of this game, but you had me at rake story. I want to be able to do that.

Best answers
The Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind, you know that game, FP? Oblivion is another game in the Elder Scrolls series.

Lol, i read that and couldn't help but laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom