Heat lag?

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey people, just a couple of quick questions.

I've got a little program called speedfan which reads processor, Gfx card and HDD temperatures.

Although it only shows my 2 cores and my HDD. I've got an X1600 mobility and I'm pretty sure it should be able to get it's temperature read.

Anyway, I was wondering if;

1.) Over heating of my HDD or Gfx card could cause lag (particularly in games). I ask this because there seems to be some correlation between amount of fps and time I've been in any certain game. I have not seen any glitching artifacts or any other heat related symptoms though.

2.) Is it possible I've busted the heat sensor on the gfx card by over heating it?

3.) Are there any cooling options for a laptop? Any like heat absorbent desk mats or anything of the like?

Thanks guys :scared:

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.) Over heating of my HDD or Gfx card could cause lag (particularly in games). I ask this because there seems to be some correlation between amount of fps and time I've been in any certain game. I have not seen any glitching artifacts or any other heat related symptoms though.
Not sure about the other stuff, but sounds like a potential RAM issue rather than overheated gfx/hdd.

The longer you've been in a game and/or had your PC turned on the more RAM is being used and not being refreshed. So if you've been playing a game for a long time it's possible you're running out of RAM space and feeling sluggish because of it. A good way to check is when you're feeling the sluggish come out, save and restart your computer and see how you go, if it's a RAM thing the sluggish will be gone, if not then it's something else. How much RAM do you have out of interest?

In general though, I can't see how an overheated HDD could slow you down (in fact I've never really heard about HDD's overheating, seems odd to me). Especially since when playing games very rarely if at all will you be running files from the HDD direct, since that'd make the game run slow (HDD's being slow components and all) which is why we use RAM since it's faster and all, the HDD loading files up into RAM in preparation for them being used by the application.

Anyway, best way to check if you've busted anything is to open it up and take a look, but likely if you've busted something you'll notice it without having to open her up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got 2 gigs of DDR(2 I'd assume).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This has something to do with topic so don't say it is completly off topic:

wheres, what is your average CPU's temperature? In C if possible? Mine is around 49C

Best answers
Hey people, just a couple of quick questions.

I've got a little program called speedfan which reads processor, Gfx card and HDD temperatures.

Although it only shows my 2 cores and my HDD. I've got an X1600 mobility and I'm pretty sure it should be able to get it's temperature read.

Anyway, I was wondering if;

2.) Is it possible I've busted the heat sensor on the gfx card by over heating it?

3.) Are there any cooling options for a laptop? Any like heat absorbent desk mats or anything of the like?

Thanks guys :scared:
You can get laptop cooling bays if necessary. What do your temps for both your gfx card and CPU get to under load?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This has something to do with topic so don't say it is completly off topic:

wheres, what is your average CPU's temperature? In C if possible? Mine is around 49C
It says my 2 cpu temps are at like 10-15c and my HDD is at 40c I'm not sure if it's naming components wrong or whatever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It says my 2 cpu temps are at like 10-15c and my HDD is at 40c I'm not sure if it's naming components wrong or whatever.
That does seem wrong, CPU's are generally a lot hotter than that. Can you list the specs of your entire PC? I think your little program is probably just crap and the problems you're feeling are something else, most likely RAM-related.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That does seem wrong, CPU's are generally a lot hotter than that. Can you list the specs of your entire PC? I think your little program is probably just crap and the problems you're feeling are something else, most likely RAM-related.
Nec versa p8210

Dual core @ 2ghz
2 gigs ddr2
120gb hard drive
x1600 mobility (256mb or 512mb-w/ shared memory I think)

yeah.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh Laptop, why didn't I pick up on that before...

Anyway did you try what I said when it gets sluggish to give it a restart and see what happens? Theoretically if its a heat issue it'll still be hot and be sluggish after the reset, if its a RAM thing it'll restart back to normal. Give it a go and let me know.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
kk thanks man i'll try now.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a lot of confusion in this thread. I'll try to clear some of that up.

GPU (video card) temperature shouldn't have any affect on performance UNLESS it's overheating to a dangerous level, and the card is clocking itself back as to avoid being fried. If this was the case, the system would beep loudly, you'd get messages and or harsh, sudden reboots.

As for your CPU temperature--CoreTemp, Speedfan, etc--are known to have temperature discrepencies of 15c when used with DUAL or QUAD core chips. If your chip is reporting 15c, it's actually 30c--which is a very good temperature for an at-load dual core chip, and phenomenal for a quad-core chip.

There's a way to add a +15c modifier to CoreTemp/Speedfan so you can see the actual temperature, but I don't have access to it right now and don't remember how to do it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know it really just sounds like whatever you are playing just has some huge memory leaks or something else you are running is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah... It's mostly with tf2, I'll be playing in 40-50fps in a nasty arse full server fire fight and then 20mins later it'll start getting choppy- and then half way through a fire fight of the same intensity the frame rate will shoot back up for no reason. Maybe like pre cache problems? Or it might just be tf2 lol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah... It's mostly with tf2, I'll be playing in 40-50fps in a nasty arse full server fire fight and then 20mins later it'll start getting choppy- and then half way through a fire fight of the same intensity the frame rate will shoot back up for no reason. Maybe like pre cache problems? Or it might just be tf2 lol.
Can't be a heat issue then, I can't imagine it getting hotter and hotter and hotter then cooling off miraculously before getting hotter again. I'm almost positive it's a memory thing, probably related to laptop's not being very suited to running video games, buy a desktop!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah I can play anything on this thing if I tweak and mod the game hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom