HDTV (Yes another one)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Okay, so I know I have made a few of these in the past. Problem was, every time I go around looking at T.V's something else comes out and I go "OOOO shiny I want that one instead." Problem is, I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Though this will probably be my last thread about HDTV's, my sister and I are going to go halfzies on one. So we're looking at something no more than $900 US dollars. I have 'narrowed' down the list some. However, there are a few things I'm unsure of. A. Is the brand good and reliable? B. Is the price decent for what I'm buying? C. Will the sound / picture be sharp and clear, defect free and all that jazz?

So here is what I have so far:
Samsung 40"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oduct&id=1218063829730#tabbed-customerreviews

-So far this one is my favorite. It seems decent, I read the customer reviews, and it seems like a solid T.V for the money you're spending. Though it's right at our budget line.

Samsung 40"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8793996&type=product&id=1205537712071

-Another Samsung, seems decent. But there are very subtle differences in the two, yet a 100 dollar difference. Which is where I need someone who knows what they're talking about.

There were a few others, but I can't seem to find them right now. At this time, if you know T.V's and can help. Awesome, I'd like some input, if you know something better for the price, I'm glad to hear it. I'm basically looking for a 40"+ T.V

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only difference I could tell between the two that may or may not be a real deal-breaker for your are the inputs.

The first one you linked has one more component input than the second one you linked. It also includes an S-Video port as well as a couple of RF ports (should the need arise that you'd actually want to use either of those. For RF ports, that might be an old console; for S-Video, that might be an old DVD player that doesn't support component cables). It also seems to have some sort of proprietary engine for enhancing the picture's colour balance, which might be nice to have, in my opinion (coming from a person who's consistently changing his picture settings on his TV :p).

The second one, however, sports an optical port, which would be a nice addition if you're planning on hooking a sound system up to your TV. A lot of people do, as, more often than not, HDTV's tend to have fairly lack-luster speakers built in. Having said that, the second TV also seems to sport the ability to use simulated surround sound. I've only had limited experience with that as far as using it on a TV goes, and I'm pretty sure I could live happily without it, as I didn't notice much of a difference. I, personally, have never hand a problem with the sound quality from my HDTV's speakers, but I also don't watch enough movies at home or use my consoles enough to warrant purchasing a sound system, so sound has not been the biggest selling point for me.

So, the way I see it is this: they're both the same price (at least, that's what the site is telling me). One has a few more jacks for video input, as well as more robust image-enhancing abilities; the other has the optical port (preferable if you're going to be using a sound system) and the simulated surround sound engine. The question, then, becomes this: are you looking for a somewhat better image and more versatility with what you can hook up out of the box, or are you more interested in getting a home theater up and running and/or getting a bit of a boost in the audio department?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The only difference I could tell between the two that may or may not be a real deal-breaker for your are the inputs.

The first one you linked has one more component input than the second one you linked. It also includes an S-Video port as well as a couple of RF ports (should the need arise that you'd actually want to use either of those. For RF ports, that might be an old console; for S-Video, that might be an old DVD player that doesn't support component cables). It also seems to have some sort of proprietary engine for enhancing the picture's colour balance, which might be nice to have, in my opinion (coming from a person who's consistently changing his picture settings on his TV :p).

The second one, however, sports an optical port, which would be a nice addition if you're planning on hooking a sound system up to your TV. A lot of people do, as, more often than not, HDTV's tend to have fairly lack-luster speakers built in. Having said that, the second TV also seems to sport the ability to use simulated surround sound. I've only had limited experience with that as far as using it on a TV goes, and I'm pretty sure I could live happily without it, as I didn't notice much of a difference. I, personally, have never hand a problem with the sound quality from my HDTV's speakers, but I also don't watch enough movies at home or use my consoles enough to warrant purchasing a sound system, so sound has not been the biggest selling point for me.

So, the way I see it is this: they're both the same price (at least, that's what the site is telling me). One has a few more jacks for video input, as well as more robust image-enhancing abilities; the other has the optical port (preferable if you're going to be using a sound system) and the simulated surround sound engine. The question, then, becomes this: are you looking for a better image and more versatility with what you can hook up out of the box, or are you more interested in getting a home theater up and running and/or getting a bit of a boost in the audio department?
They have a 100 dollar price difference. One is 799 the other 899. Sound is also not a huge selling point for me. I have the cheapest pair of speakers on my computer right now (they were 11 dollars) and they work just fine.

With that said; it seems like the first one might be my best option, seeing as I NES and SNES etc and would like to play them on my new T.V. Seeing as I want the best bang for my buck in the image dept. It seems like the first one would be my best bet.

Since you said you are constantly changing your T.V settings, is there anything I didn't link that you deem worthy enough to fit in my living room?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've only every shopped around in the 32" and below area of HDTV's, which, ostensibly, is a different ballgame, so I'm not sure what kind of recommendation would be best. My friend uses a 48" Samsung HDTV (not sure of the model number), and the image was consistently crisp, clear, and vibrant; that was on digital TV alone, too. When he, later, got an HD subscription, the picture had no flaws that I could detect. I was, vicariously, completely satisfied with his purchase.

Having said that, I didn't see that the other listing you linked to would only list the sale price until it was added to your cart, so I assumed $899.99 was the sale price. Before you settle on the first one, however, take a trip to your local Best Buy and make sure that the second one, indeed, lacks the RF and S-Video ports, or if they just weren't listed online. Moreover, if they have that first model set up somewhere, take a look at what kind of difference that colour-correcting/image-enhancing engine makes, if any.

If you can shave $100 off of the price, I don't think you'll end up missing that dynamic colour-correcting engine; for $100 off, you can compromise on some colour settings that meet with your satisfaction (much like I, repeatedly, have done with my TV). I should mention that my other HDTV (one I went halfsies on with my bro) is made by Westinghouse, and we picked it up more for the component jacks and the DVI port (as well as the <$500 CDN price tag). Despite being made by a company that used to specialize in light bulbs, I've never had to correct the picture settings on it since we got it up and running, and the sound is, if nothing else, passable.

So, what I'm saying is that, at the end of the day, if you can get everything you think you need in a TV AND shave $100 off, go for it. Worry about the bells and whistles if, and only if, you think you will make consistent use of them.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Maj, you never invite me over for some fine wine and hot sex. Why not?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got a 32" westing house and a 50" haier Both seem good to me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom