HDMI Male to VGA Female connector

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Recently I bought me a new laptop, the HP Envy 15. Great laptop, but is has a slight inconvenience. It only has a HDMI port, and at school, we still use a lot of old projectors that still use VGA cables. Thus, I basically need a HDMI Male to VGA Female cordless connector. Now I know these exist, because on the US HP site, they sell these for like 60 dollars (which is an outrageous price), but they don't ship abroad.

Now I was wondering if anyone else knew of any of these connectors on a site that ships to the Netherlands, without charging ridiculous prices. I can pay with a credit card if necessary, though ideally I would like to pay with Paypal. Even more ideal would be to have a seller that is situated in Europe, though I am not expecting to find any of those here, since most of the viewers here are American. I have tried looking on Amazon myself, but haven't been able to find it, I have only found a HDMI Male to DVI Female, which I could buy as a last resort.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I deleted my post because i misread something.
He needs hdmi male to vga female. that was vga male. :|
And i couldn't find anything under 60 bucks.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried eHarmony or Match for your HDMI male? Taking it out to a bar frequented by the more desperate kind of VGA female?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm afraid you are going to need to spend 60, because you are buying a converter, not just a cable. HDMI is designed to be secure, so you can't copy stuff illegally, you are asking it to be not secure and analog AND dump the audio signal.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Or use an USB stick to transfer your presentation from your laptop to either the computer that's connected to the beamer, or a classmate's laptop.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is a HDMI>DVI cable that much different from a HDMI>VGA cable then?

I saw a HDMI Male to DVI female for like...5 pounds on Amazon (yes, build quality may not be the greatest, but it is significantly cheaper than 60 dollars), and I have a DVI to VGA converter lying around here that wasn't that much more. I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem, since I am not trying to convert an analog signal to a digital signal. Losing the audio is pretty much just...losing a pin or 2. And, buying a HDMI Male to VGA Male cable is also possible (which, again, is significantly cheaper than buying the overpriced HP connector), I am just asking for a VGA Female, so I can plug something into my laptop, rather than plugging my laptop into something else.

Or use an USB stick to transfer your presentation from your laptop to either the computer that's connected to the beamer, or a classmate's laptop.
Aside from the fact that transfering files over to a different computer isn't that handy, it's also annoying when I am trying to show other stuff than a presentation over a beamer, like using Photoshop over the beamer, showing a movie, etc. etc. That, and I also have a couple of older screens standing around here, that I would be able to connect to my laptop then.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is a HDMI>DVI cable that much different from a HDMI>VGA cable then?

I saw a HDMI Male to DVI female for like...5 pounds on Amazon (yes, build quality may not be the greatest, but it is significantly cheaper than 60 dollars), and I have a DVI to VGA converter lying around here that wasn't that much more. I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem, since I am not trying to convert an analog signal to a digital signal. Losing the audio is pretty much just...losing a pin or 2. And, buying a HDMI Male to VGA Male cable is also possible (which, again, is significantly cheaper than buying the overpriced HP connector), I am just asking for a VGA Female, so I can plug something into my laptop, rather than plugging my laptop into something else.
You could probably pull that off. You would, just like you said, need to do two conversions, and thus have two converters.

Best answers
Probably not. DVI (as provided by a video card) has both the analogue and digital signal. A DVI to VGA adapter just hooks up the analogue signal from DVI to VGA. HDMI only provides digital signals, so a HDMI to DVI adaptor will only provide the digital DVI signals. The DVI to VGA adapter probably won't even physically fit (the analogue signal is transmitted through the 'cross-like' pins on the left, which are not used in the HDMI to DVI adaptor).

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom