HD Quicktime format having issues with a lot of programs

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, I bought an HD camcorder, the Kogan HD, which is capable of recording 1080p and 720p resolutions and has given me some pretty neat results.

I'm using it primarily so I can do a fan film that will require a good deal of CG work and video editing. The videos encode into a Quicktime movie (.mov), which I generally like because the format always seems to come out in crystal clear quality, not to mention the player lets you move frame by frame, which is more than can be said for a lot of players.

I'm running into problems though. I've been testing the format, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing here.

If I try to import the footage into Max, it tells me something went wrong with the decoding process, and it fails. If I try to load the files into Sony Vegas, it effing fails; I get an empty sound file and no video on the video track, tells me it can't find the stream or something.

Well, no matter, I thought, I'll just convert it to a high res DivX file, though I'd rather not have to go through an additional step in order to load my footage, let alone add a stage of encoding to dumb-down the overall quality one more degree than is necessary before I can even work with it.

And no dice on THAT one either! DivX won't encode those damn clips, it tries to convert, and forever remains at 0%, never moves.

So currently I'm using the camcorder's video editing software (came on a disc) to try and encode the footage to different formats, but most of them so far are pretty crappy, or get the wrong frame rate, or the wrong resolution. MPeg4 didn't look too bad until I brought it into Vegas, and then the preview window gave me nothing by raped and missing frames. Cinepak Radeon had the same issue that DivX did. Right now I'm trying to encode it as an MPeg1, which forces to 30fps, but I stretched the video to twice it's length so it would still get all of the frames, as the 720p format records at 60fps (audio capture of the camcorder isn't a priority).

I really don't want to put all my footage through filter-rape if there's a better way to go about this. I just don't understand why everything is going so crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom