Happy Fourth of July!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2 hours late on my end...But I am not seeing fireworks and what not until Saturday. Though it's an American holiday, anybody have plans?

232 years of unconditional kickass!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Time to celebrate a meaningless human construct with beer and hot dogs from Germany, fireworks and small American flags from China, and an unconditional, over-the-top, blind patriotism seen no where else in the world because no country is as arrogant as the USA.

Sorry, in a pessimistic and cynical mood.

Yay, happy fourth of July.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm so pissed off.

The fire works display was so amazingly bad, like, it was ridiculous.

They shot one firework at a time and had like, 7 different 2 minute pauses.

Like, it'd shoot up a few, and no fireworks for like one or two minutes, then they'd shoot it again, and then at one point there was like a 5 minutes pause and everyone thought it ended. then they shot up again.

it was so disappointing and badly made :(

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's depressing as hell dude, I hate it when people act like pussies with fireworks on the 4th of July. :(

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optional said:
Time to celebrate a meaningless human construct with beer and hot dogs from Germany, fireworks and small American flags from China, and an unconditional, over-the-top, blind patriotism seen no where else in the world because no country is as arrogant as the USA.

Anyways, fireworks are basically banned in New York which I believe is silly. Pools can kill someone just as easily as fireworks can, should we ban all pools?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:

Anyways, fireworks are basically banned in New York which I believe is silly. Pools can kill someone just as easily as fireworks can, should we ban all pools?
Can you shoot a pool into someone's eye? Didn't think so.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optional said:

Hey, watch it >:[

So what, we're not allowed to be proud of our nation? We're not allowed to celebrate our liberation from England which allowed us to become the free nation we are now? We set a lot of damn trends when we had our revolution and pioneered the world's ascent from the dark ages. Then consider all of our contributions to technology. Every nation has things it's NOT proud of, but we're still allowed to celebrate what we SHOULD be proud of, in one unified voice on the day celebrating it's creation.

We don't rain on other's independence days, or what have you, so don't rain on ours -_-

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've got to agree with J-Dude. There's nothing wrong with loving your country. If it's arrogant to be proud of where you live, then I think the entire world should be arrogant if they aren't already.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
Can you shoot a pool into someone's eye? Didn't think so.
CAN YOU DROWN IN A FIREWORK? DIDNT THINK SO!!111!1!

Your argument is idiotic.

Best answers
J-Dude said:

So what, we're not allowed to be proud of our nation? We're not allowed to celebrate our liberation from England which allowed us to become the free nation we are now? We set a lot of damn trends when we had our revolution and pioneered the world's ascent from the dark ages. Then consider all of our contributions to technology. Every nation has things it's NOT proud of, but we're still allowed to celebrate what we SHOULD be proud of, in one unified voice on the day celebrating it's creation.

We don't rain on other's independence days, or what have you, so don't rain on ours -_-

Hooray for Arrogance.

Happy 4th of July anyway.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't seen a lot of patriotic things lately =/. Decorations and fireworks yes, but I was hoping for like a history channel special (maybe I missed it) or some kind of honor.

America went from a bunch of colonies settled in a "new" land (we stole it from the Natives, I know, that's the terrible part), fighting off the then-ruler of the world at seemingly impossible odds, to establish a new type of country. Then only 200+ years later, we're a superpower and one of the most influential countries in the world.

Obviously, America isn't all sunshine and smiles, but that's something to be pretty proud about in my opinion.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:

First off, I'm an American. Secondly, I was trying to point out the stupidity of things like calling the USA the "greatest country on Earth". Why is it stupid? Because you've never been to every other country on Earth. No other country says that type of phrase as much or with so much arrogance as Americans. Such arrogance is one reason the USA isn't very popular in the world today.

Patriotism is a good thing. Blind patriotism is what causes wars and extraordinary amounts of death. Blind patriotism is what causes xenophobia.

When people are so blindly patriotic is when they think thoughts like, "I'm American, **** all you foreigners." As a comedian once noted, it's really not that far from saying "I'm American, **** all you [ethnic slur here]."

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree wholeheartedly with Optional. Don't get me wrong, I love America, but we have done some pretty ****ed up things. Besides that, to say things like all Americans should celebrate it's creation in one unified voice is silly. You're supposed to have freedom of speech in America, it's supposed to be fine if you don't agree with everyone else.

As for the greatest country on earth thing, it's a matter of opinion, that opinion usually being formed depending on where your born.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
You're supposed to have freedom of speech in America, it's supposed to be fine if you don't agree with everyone else.
That's the ironic part. One should definitely have the right to say "America isn't as great you people make it out to be", but should that person celebrate that he has the right to say something like that?

And while there are definitely countries out there that may have better living conditions or more flexible laws, there's a lot of things I can do in America that would have me punished/censored in other areas, so it's a nice day to remember to not take such things as granted. I celebrate this day to say "America is great", not "the best" or "better than country X/the world", just "great".

I and I bet each person on this forum could write an essay on the bad and/or questionable things America has done, easily, but that's just as bad as saying America is the greatest country ever. And besides, this day is to celebrate our independence, not how much better we are than the world.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Do I love America? Absolutely. Do I love what our Government has done in the past and is doing in the present; no. Don't confuse the two please.

I love America for what it stands for. The concept behind it. But the government and the people destroy that concept. Again, the two are different.

We're celebrating our country's independence, not the horrible things we've done in the past (Hooray for blaming the Americans of today for what happened 200 something odd years ago YAY!)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, I don't agree with a lot of people on this forum, but there are some definite brains here.

Best answers
America? I have alot of pride in our military forces, they're the most advanced and powerful in the whole world (my opinion). As for the government though... not too proud of that so much.

@Sub - Fireworks are virtually banned in Michigan also.. but that doesn't stop me from driving to Tennessee and Ohio to smuggle them across the border. lol

My dad spent $1400 on fireworks this year. It was worth every penny. The 1 1/2 stick TNT mortars are what made it special though.

Best answers
Celebrating the day the great empire of Brittain kicked you out of their club? :O

GZ anyway? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom