Hand to Hand Combat

Best answers
Okay,

This is a message to Harsens, any of the ESF developers, or anyone in the forums that can answer my question.

The Half-Life engine SDK is very flexible, but I dont see how you can develop such a hand-to-hand combat system that people have been waiting for in the forums! I was wondering, will the melee combat system be everything everyone says it will be, or will be almost only pure beam combat like in the alpha?

either way, the ESF beta is going to rule, good job guys!

Thanks,

--Frog102

p.s. im a programmer, and my opinions are based on what ive done with the half-life code. So my opinions are informed, so dont flame me saying otherwise.

Best answers
From what i've herd melee and beams are like 50 50 you depend on both. Its not just melee and its not just beams.

Best answers
From what I know the melee system we're getting in the beta is a BASIC melee. In later versions we'll get the advanced...atleast thats what I was told o_o

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of you guys will love melee. It actualy takes skill to use, not just point and click like most of the beams. It also takes time to learn it as well :p

Best answers
I think the melee system should be like Oni. That game's hand-to-hand combat owned.

Best answers
Ill give you an example..
I start off using melee and after i hit the guy to the ground and he's rollin around ill charge up a kame wave or whatever my char has and blast the motha f***** to the next dimension...
so there. basically if you are a beam only person you will get ur A$$ rocked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oni's melee engine SUCKED ASS

and is NOTHING like dbz

Best answers
im sure it's hard, but im sure its not as hard as you make it out to be.

if you have coded for half life and are any good at it, you should be able to make a similar system

Best answers
Okay, thanks. Not quite as detailed an answer as i would have liked, but beggers cant be choosers.

The ESF team is really taking they're time with this beta, and im sure it will show.

You guys rule, and I think this beta will Kill any other amature DBZ created mods! good job ESF!

Best answers
Well, I don't know how much of answer we could give you. You really just get the ideas, and create it on your own.

It should spark some new ideas for some new mods.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say most 3d engines are capable of good melee systems, it's just a question of the time and effort develeopers are willing to commit to animations and code which can be a very daunting task.

-Karrde-

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets start off with the basics... ESF cant have any "advanced hand to hand combat" melee system, like oni, street fighter, or whatever else. The game is just too fast for that, by the time you get up to the guy and land a punch in his face, you will probably be in gibs by the kame that just rammed you up the ass.

Melee is quite simple. You aim, target, Swoop , and hit the guy, nothing to it :) In the current system, there are only powerful hits that send the guy flying across the level. There are no melee powerstruggles, no small punches, ect. This is just a basic outline, melee will improve greatly. For the time being though, this is pretty fun:)

Best answers
I have a simple question. Can you stun someone? Like lets say you hit them a couple times so they are low on HP then you hit them up and back to the floor will they become stunned? That would be cool so you can finish them with a big finish.

Best answers
You can't "stun" somebody that way. The only time you can stun someone is when they are out of ki and can't defend themselves. Then you can smash them into a wall, the ceiling, the floor, whatever and hit them with an energy attack. But don't think you can get off a fully charged GG or K-Wave...recovery times are a bit too quik for that ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats what the basic attacks are for :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can kinda stun someone if you hit them with melee and they dont recover before they hit the ground!! While they are on the ground for the next few secs, they are vulnerable to ki attacks!!

Best answers
well what are we guys thinking and complaining about:rolleyes:
i say esf team rocks and what ever they do its good so you guys says no you can do destructeble maps esf team says yes you can.... o_o

what i mean is.. esf team= good things

I LOVE THE TEAM!

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
from what ive seen the melee has a lock on system its based on. you aim your crosshair and lock on to the enemy. click the mouse button and start flying forward. either kicking or punching them to the ground or the other side of the map.

then you ki attack them to falling gibs while they spiral or skip on the ground helplessly across the screen. it would be cool if your power level effected the damage of getting hit like that.

strong/high pl = not flying as farther or barely moving

weak/low/noob pl = smacked around......literally

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom