Hammer v4.0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it possible to use Hammer v4.0 to map for ESF? I've had a play around on it and there doesn't seem to be many apparent differences except Textures is now Materials and you can view models and entities in their compiled entirity through the 3D view window, which comes in handy when doing things to scale. Speaking of which, the scale is 1 Unit to 1 Real World Centimeter (or possibly inch) in Hammer v4.0, but because everything's scaled down in ESF would it be 1 Unit to 1 Real World Meter or something?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The scale is 1 unit to 1 inch in Hammer; it is 1 unit to 4 inches in ESF. And of course not. Hammer 4.0 is for the Source engine only.

1) Displacement mapping (how you make terrain for HL2) is not in HL1.
2) Maximum alotted world is different (HL2 allows fours times as much room as HL1).
3) Lighting in HL2 > lighting in HL1.
4) 3D skyboxes are in HL2 but not HL1.

You would have to port over a HL2 map (which Hammer 3.5 cannot read). You would need to retexture (make a brand new WAD, texture by texture), get rid of several types of brushes (remake all displacement brushes, meaning you would take one brush, delete it, and replace it with hundreds of brushes), and get rid of many entities (HL2 has a special entity system with parent entities 'n such).

I could go on and on. Bottom line is no.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a shame, oh well.

It came configured for CS: Source but I can't configure it to work with Half-Life 2, can anyone help me out/link me?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just a minor question, can anyone host hammer 4.0 somewhere?
steam doesn't do anything i ask and my cd-key is stolen with a crack(likely), so i can never get my own game on steam unles i pay $10.00 to get my own cd-key back.(and that's realy not what i'm gonna do, i'm not gonna pay for something i already own)
so is there someone so kind to host it, it will be a verry big releaf for me. :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it's hostable, correct me if i'm wrong but the new Hammer is built into the Source SDK which is built into Steam, it's not a seperate program or anything. If you don't buy the game then don't expect it to work, Valve invested a lot of money in anti-piracy stuff on Steam. Besides, what's $10.00 compared to rebuying the game?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1)2.50 euro
2)wy pay for my own game i already have, just is something the dutch man sais: gewoon afzetterij

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Take it up with Valve, if they say your CD-Key is invalid then take the game back to wherever you bought it from and get a new one. Failing that, 2.50 is hardly anything, a very reasonable price for a new key.

And if you can't register your key because you're using an illegit version of HL2 then you're only getting out what you put in, nothing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wtf,hl2
i dont even want hl2, it's for hl1 to play mechmod and yes i've an legal one(hl generation)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's not for HL2 then why the hell are you on this thread? You can't make HL1 maps on Hammer v4.0 as it uses materials instead of textures which HL1 doesn't support.

Contact Valve about your HL1 key, it has nothing to do with this thread.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhmm,is there anyone here with a brain in his\her head.
there are also ppl with a project on hl2 but doesn't want hl2, there are also ppl that are on a team for hl2 and only neads hammer 4.0 to continue working.
think further than only your ego........
if i by hl2 then it would be when it's on a normal price, like 25.00 euro or maybe 30.00 euro. :devgrin:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's for hl1 to play mechmod
So you want it for a HL1 mod despite it not supporting HL1. That makes sense :rolleyes: Plus, if you'd read my post you'd notice that Hammer v4.0 isn't available for DL, it's part of the Source SDK, which is considered by Steam to be a game like the rest as it's in the 'Play Games...' Menu and is run like a game.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and that's wy i post"is someone so kind to host it", i dont do that for nothing.

Best answers
either way, you're still offtopic...

The hammer 4.0 is built into steam, u need to buy hl2, and then dl the source sdk tools, and then run it on steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom