hammer making a sky

Best answers
I've recently started mapping and i was wondering how do i make a sky? If you could help that would be great, thanks!:)

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have to use the 'sky' texture. The game will render the env map on all the brushes with the sky texture.
So basically, you can make a big box around your map, make it hollow and apply the sky texture.
If you do not have a sky texture, get 'Wally' (you can google for it). You can make your own *.wad's with it. To make a sky texture, just open your wad or create a new one, make a new image, select whatever color you think is better and name it 'sky' (in lower case letters). That's kinda it.

Best answers
You have to use the 'sky' texture. The game will render the env map on all the brushes with the sky texture.
So basically, you can make a big box around your map, make it hollow and apply the sky texture.
If you do not have a sky texture, get 'Wally' (you can google for it). You can make your own *.wad's with it. To make a sky texture, just open your wad or create a new one, make a new image, select whatever color you think is better and name it 'sky' (in lower case letters). That's kinda it.
thanks but another thing, my map is a pretty mig map and the largest size texure doesnt fit the map any ideas?

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you mean?

Best answers
when i apply i sky texture it looks really cheesy because its so small compared to the surface im putting it on

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the sky texture should be about 32x32 in size (i think) and it should have one color on it. You can only preview it ingame, so compile your map to see if you got it right.

Best answers
the sky texture should be about 32x32 in size (i think) and it should have one color on it. You can only preview it ingame, so compile your map to see if you got it right.
oh only 1 color tyvm how do i select only 1 side, been trying to do that for a while

Last edited:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm, on the left bar on the screen there's the texture button, it's above a one with a brown thing on it. Press it and then you can select faces.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
apply the "sky" texture to the whole object (all sides)
The scaling doesn't matter at all, ingame the whole thing will be replaced with the actual sky cube images.

Best answers
ahhhhh I see, thank you also if i wanted to add a cliff far away or some mountains in the distance how would i do that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom