Half-life / ESF

Best answers
since I lost my cd key I just bought the platinum collection edition and when I went to install it said something about a 16bit error, though I'm running on 32bit. I tried registering the cd key with steam and it seems to be working, just updating. if half-life is on steam but doesnt play will ESF still work?

Best answers
well, I dont remember the old one and I cant get it to happen now, but when I tried to play normal half-life from steam it said has to switch to software mode and it was taking along time to load a new game so I stopped.

Best answers
and I am installing ESF as we type, I'll let you know how it turns out.

and thank you for being so kind and helpful, wanting more players to enjoy this game :)

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
wtf software mode? got graphic cards driver installed? lol

Best answers
yes I do.

The game works fine though. the only thing I dont understand is when I get attacked the screen goes black and sometimes I go out of the map...its hard to exlain.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Use Hardware Mode/OpenGL. Nobody uses Software mode, too many problems.

Best answers
it says that half-life doesnt support openGL and must change to software mode. I can run it on D3D...is that good?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
D3D is better than Software but if it says 'Half-Life does not support OpenGL' it probably means your gfx card doesn't. What card do you have?

Best answers
umm...nvidia something, I dont remember at the moment. but it shouldnt be my gfx card since I can run half-life 2 and counter-strike: Source perfectly, even on high resolution. I'm going to reinstall the game with my old half-life disc when I find the bugger, since I had it installed not to long ago and it was running fine.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i couldnt use opengl either, but after i installed the newest drivers i could use opengl...so you might try that

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be that HL uses the old 16 bit installer and you are using a 64 bit OS such as Win XP Pro 64. Just in case people didn't know, 32 bit works okay on the 64 bit OS, but old games may not install right with old installer packages.

Best answers
well I was at my friends house and I asked his dad because his dad is a programmer and he said he had that proublem with hl before and it might be that my gfx card is to good. he says that my openGL is proubly alot newer than the one running on half-life.

ANYWHO! how do I 'install the newest drivers"?

Best answers
and from before, the exact error from not installing half-life is:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats the problem Nvidia has drivers for 3 kinds of cards unles you know wich one of theese you have you cant download -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom