Half-Life crashes to the desktop when I launch it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got a problem. When I run Half-Life, it starts up, but after a few seconds it crashes and returns to the desktop. I'm using Steam, I have a legal cd key of Half-Life, and I have reinstalled Steam twice already. Does anyone know what to do?:cry:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you using software mode? If you do, try switching it to OpenGL (or if you can't, Direct3D) That is, if you can atleast make it to the options. Also make sure you have the latest drivers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't make it to options. It crashes as soon as it loads. And the game has worked for me before, then one day it just crashes. And my drivers are up to date, how else would ESF work before?

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you may have a virus in your pc

Best answers
whats your OS?
Coz in case its XP/2000, then did it ever run that scandisk?
Because, in that case, sometimes that program might change/edit a file that was last running when the PC was shutdown improperly. So I guess if that happened, its time you reinstalled steam and halflife.
In case it isnt the problem, just reinstall steam and download half life once more. (groans, thats what i did yesterday after i quit on my 2000 and took XP)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried it, it didn't work.

EDIT:Hey, I solved my problem. It appears that somehow my OpenGL drivers were deleted or something. But when I played the last time, I was using OpenGL mode, and Steam remembered that, and since the drivers weren't there, Half-Life wasn't able to start. It was thanks to WON that I solved my problem. I ran the game with WON, and switched it to OpenGL mode, from Software mode. Then, when I saw that OpenGL wasn't supported, I knew that there was only one explanation: No drivers! Then I reinstalled the drivers, and ran Half-Life with Steam, and it works!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom