Half-Life 2 VS Doom 3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
Doom 3 did not suck, Half-Life 2 just proved to be better.
no it did suck

it was boring, lame, and unfun

the only thing they tried to was scare u by having a monster come out behind u every time u walked into the middle of the room

doom 3 totally ignored everything that made doom cool and decided "hey wouldnt it be cool if we made a super nice graphics engine and ignored the rest of the game! and since our monsters are stupid and the physics engine is crappy compared to everything else released lets just make it so dark u cant see anything when playing!"

see that isnt doom thats a lame crappy fps trying to pretend to be doom

Best answers
I've played both.

If anyone says Doom 3 is better, they deserve a good backhand smash across the face.

Half-Life 2 owns Doom 3. No questions. At all. Ever.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Half Life 2 is the funnest game i think ive ever played. I just got the dune buggy and it pwns. The airboat chase part was amazing. Everything is so well done.

Doom 3 was fun for like 20 minutes. Then the same things started happening over and over again.

So in short, Halflife 2 > Doom 3 in pretty much everything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...I enjoyed Doom, as is no secret. It's a hit or miss thing. If you're...well, like me...you might have enjoyed it. If you're some adhd internet brat who needs a vehicle chase and 60 different weapons and enemies to find the game entertaining

When Half-Life 2 can have full environmental bump mapping, no skippy sound, and textures that don't look like the underside of a nutsack, call me, and I'll be glad to cast a vote in it's favor here. Oh, and when they update the sound buffer from HL1 that they forgot to tweak, let me know about that too, cause then me and 6 million billion other people on steam will be able to play it a lot more enjoyable and maybe give it a fair shot. The double standards piss me off either way.

Too much hating going on between these two games. Technology and atmosphere, Doom wins (whether you liked it or not), gameplay variety and Super Party Fun Time with Physics, Half-Life wins.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I admit the scare tactics were repeated over and over in Doom 3. But it was still a good game, you cant say you weren't amazed when you arrived in Hell. The Cyber Demon was bad ass, and actually harder than the original one, All you needed to do for the Old Cyber Demon was keep your distance as he threw rockets at you and you repeated the same thing. Atleast they made it so one weapon can kill him. Not to mention you had other demons **** blocking your battle as you circled around the level. The Flash Light thing wasn't really all that lame if you got used to it, the weapon switch was pretty fast and it made the game more challenging, if it were just like Doom 1/2/Final then all you would do is BFG the entier map.

Best answers
Doom 3 was amazing in Graphics/ Level design's (especialy the level design's). Doom 3 is of course the most scariest FPS there is. Ever. But gameplay sucked , and that's is the most important for a game, so my choise is HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SIEG VALVE! SIEG VALVE! SIEG VALVE! SIEG VALVE!

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Well...I enjoyed Doom, as is no secret. It's a hit or miss thing. If you're...well, like me...you might have enjoyed it. If you're some adhd internet brat who needs a vehicle chase and 60 different weapons and enemies to find the game entertaining

When Half-Life 2 can have full environmental bump mapping, no skippy sound, and textures that don't look like the underside of a nutsack, call me, and I'll be glad to cast a vote in it's favor here. Oh, and when they update the sound buffer from HL1 that they forgot to tweak, let me know about that too, cause then me and 6 million billion other people on steam will be able to play it a lot more enjoyable and maybe give it a fair shot. The double standards piss me off either way.

Too much hating going on between these two games. Technology and atmosphere, Doom wins (whether you liked it or not), gameplay variety and Super Party Fun Time with Physics, Half-Life wins.
I like how you put down people who do not enjoy Doom 3. Maybe you can look at the poll, and understand that you are only one of a few who enjoyed it more then HL2. Your opinion is noted, and I respect it, but the fact you had to make it seem people who disliked Doom 3 were brats, is really low, and lame. Obviously you are just a pissed off Doom 3 fan, because HL2 and H2 came out, and rocked Doom 3 like a million times over.

Doom does not win in atmosphere, it was boring, and the last boss was easy as hell. The amount of immersion in HL2 simply beats Doom 3. D3 was not scary, it didn't make me jump, and I at no time felt afraid. Everything was scripted, and once the enemies appeared out of a wall or something dumb like that, you shot them. They had terrible AI, and it felt like they were just programmed to follow you around and try to kill you (instead of working as a team to eliminate you).

Whoever said the last boss was cool, is right, he looked sweet, but all you had to do was run around the pit, and dodge his attacks well you kill enemies. Then you just soul cube him and it is over (wow, HARD).

You are all entitled to your opinions, but come on, be reasonable. You keep complaining about the proplems your PC is having with HL2, but you fail to mention how much trouble some people had trying to run Doom 3. Sure this Steam stuff is lame, but they are just trying something new, sooner or later the idea will work, but at the moment they are the first company to do this on such a fullscale, they'll need time to learn from mistakes. So don't ***** about that.

Not to mention the gameplay in HL2 was more creative, and ALOT more enjoyable... :rolleyes: and in my opinion, gameplay, and immersion are what makes or breaks a game, and just like HL1, I couldn't put down HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree that the monsters in Doom3 were not scary, they either 'appeared' in front of you or behind you, and you could hear it and see it very obviously. In HL2 they stumble from shadows, rappel from skylights, jump through windows, smash through barricades and interact with the map.

Ravenholm could be the scariest part of any FPS (inc D3) because of the faster species of headcrab and their zombie counterpart. When you drop into their 'nest' and you hear them hissing and scuttling all around you...god, it's a nightmare.

Just to be statistical, HL2 is beating D3 by 11:1, or 1100%

Best answers
If HALF LIFE 2 need;s the same resorses as Counter Strike Source then I would choose DOOM3 cuz I have no trouble playing Source but Doom3....lets just say I play it in matrix mod....cuz it's funny I have only 731 MHz,Geforce2,326 Ram and half2 would work and doom3 not......I think that HL2 has better animations....and doom3 it's more based on the grafic

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Ravenholm could be the scariest part of any FPS (inc D3) because of the faster species of headcrab and their zombie counterpart. When you drop into their 'nest' and you hear them hissing and scuttling all around you...god, it's a nightmare.

Just to be statistical, HL2 is beating D3 by 11:1, or 1100%

Im going to have to disagree with you there, Doom3 actually scared me quite a few times, while I wasn't afraid at all during HL2. For the scarier game, I would have to give it to doom, but I thought HL2 immersed you in the atmosphere around you better. Mostly becuase there were other AI you interacted with. Doom 3 went in the direction that system shock went, dark, scary, and alone. Half-Life 2 went into a freedom fighter-type direction, militia against the enemy, allthough there are many moments when you're alone as well.

There are a lot of people putting Doom 3 down. While I think Half-Life 2 was better, Doom 3 deserves some credit as well. It looked amazing, the gameplay was good, and to anyone that liked System Shock, you'd like the similarities. There will be no game that ever can stand to the unbeleiveable level of awesomeness that System Shock acheived, but Doom 3 gave it a good attempt.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:

So I suppose that since I like HL2 then I now have ADHD? Good thing I came here instead of the doctors. *completely agree with OWA about what you said*

Anyway, I haven't played either game extensively but I plan on getting HL2 soon (no money now ^^''), and I hear from people I know and this thread that D3 wasn't that great. I have, however, played HL2 on my brothers computer and I played CS Source and omg...when I get it soon its going to be sweet. Not to mention the fact that HL2 is just better, it has much more multiplayer potential.

Bolteh2

B
half-life 2

for the simple reason that hl2 is a game, and doom3 is an engine placeholder.. and a very bad placeholder it is

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
half-life 2

for the simple reason that hl2 is a game, and doom3 is an engine placeholder.. and a very bad placeholder it is
Seeing as how most people vote for HL2 in all these versus threads by the "future Mod Capability," I'd say HL2 itself is the place-holder for it's engine, not Doom3 for it's :\

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Seeing as how most people vote for HL2 in all these versus threads by the "future Mod Capability," I'd say HL2 itself is the place-holder for it's engine, not Doom3 for it's :\
But if you note, they also bring up the fact that HL2 has better gameplay, and is more immersive.

Simply because they mention the mod community, doesn't mean a thing. They are just saying it will have longer life then Doom 3, and Halo 2 because the modding universe will just take it really far.

Doom 3 was just graphics, it is a placeholder for another company to make a great game out of the capabilities the engine has. The same can be said about HL2, but atleast HL2 had an amazing single player, and would still win game of the year with or without the modding community.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I voted HL2 for several reasons. The environment and physics are awesome! When you hit metal, it sounds like metal. When you hit wood, it sounds like wood. You can dint doors. Plus I love the way the physics were done. If you stack barrels wrong, they will actually lean, and you must hop on top of them the right way, to balance the weight. It's bad ass. I love the weapons! Especially the MP6 (Yes I said MP6, not a typo) they put in the game. It sprays like hell. But for zombies, and all the slow enemies, I use my trusty magnum (Or the Glock). And I love the realism of the faces. And the way the wind can blow objects over. The faces look so real, the hair of a person can blow in the wind. I give Half-Life 2 10/10, and I haven't even beat it yet. God only knows how awesome the mods will be.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I only got doom 3 but i voted for HL2... since doom3 is fun, but boring after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom