Half-Life 2: Plot Hole?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At the end of Half-Life 1 you get to keep the hazard suit (the gman says 'I think you've earned it') but when you start Half-Life 2 you haven't got the hazard suit. What's more, Dr. Kliener seems to have had it the whole time and modded it up. He says 'Your old hazard suit, I see it still fits'. Well if it was 'your old hazard suit' then there's no way he could've got it.

The point my friend came up with is that the gman takes it from you when you're in stasis and gives it to Kliener, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If gman and Kliener were working together then why doesn't he just drop off Gordon right at the lab instead of putting him on the train? Also, why Kliener? The gman has access to stasis systems and has dominion over time, yet he can't find anyone better than an old scientist in a makeshift lab to fix the suit? That can't be right.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He probally takes it from you and gives it to kliener since he knows you will most likely end up going back to your old friends or something

Best answers
Well, here's what happens IMO:

1: Gordon meets up with the G-Man in HL1.
2. Gordon is put into the stasis.
3. G-Man removes Gordon's suit and puts a regular City 17 blue suit on him.
4. G-Man leaves the HEV suit somewhere in Black Mesa where Kleiner'll find it.

And voila.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since Gman has knowledge of the future and always intentionally shows up wherever you're going to be before you get there I'm sure he could have just put the suit somewhere where you'd run into it rather than leaving it on you (which would have made you suspicious to everybody at City 17).

Best answers
If gordon walks in city 17 with his suit, the Combine would have him arrested and who knows what done with him. But one thing - G-man can travel anywhere and anytime without being seen, so why doesn't he help the rebels? We dont know why is G-man doing this. And how can it be, that the world is already conquerd by aliens? I mean Gordon did arrive to the city straight from the Black mesa, but he didn't arrived in the same transportation. No! He arrived in a city 17 train! Maybe he was transfered through time? Im telling you G-man can go anywhere and any time! So why the future? Coudn't he save the past by warning people before the attack?

Best answers
or dr klinner found a new haz suit and the one gman had he lost it when he time traveled

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
'Your old hazard suit, I see it still fits' that means it is not a new suit...

And probably, gman doesnt want to help anyone in that way, he takes orders from people (if you noticed the ending of hl2) and passes them on to you, the times he comes in the hl2 game, are probably just the times he checks if your ok...

Best answers
If I remember the ending, Gordon was left in a chamber, so G-man wanted to protect Gordon from explosion. And doeas that mean, that the citadel is gone?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
probably not, since in hl2 aftermath you will run together with alyx to get out of city 17, the citadel is on the edge of exploding

Best answers
If you will be Alyx in aftermath, that means :shocked::You're going to see Gordon! Neat! :D

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
noo....you will play as gordon...together with alex you will run away from the citadel

Best answers
But if they destroyed the black energy portal, that means, that no more aliens are gonna come to earth! So the rebels will only have to destroy the remaining aliens in the world and Gordons gonna go the alein planet Xen to destroy it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont thinks so since in HL1 he got rid of the Xen planet treat as far as i know, however the combine used some headcrabs to shoot civilians, if gordon would destroy any planet it would most likely be the combine homeplanet

Best answers
combines are people, just modified by aliens! Look, a striped combine:

It's a human! See the microphone in the neck? That must make their voice all the same. And the woman in the first level said: I would join the civil protection for a descent meal, so that means that the combines are humans.

Best answers
Shadershi said:
Coudn't he save the past by warning people before the attack?
Ok, what Gman (in general) would EVER make things that simple? Furthermore, no Gman works like that, especially not our loveable pale one... They take PRIDE in being pricks. They only do what's best for them and who they work for.

As for the human thing: yes, they are. Does anybody remember the part where you're going through a sewer in city 17 (lots of head crabs underneath the radiation goop), and on the wall there's a little picture?... On the far right is a chimp, with a picture of his miniscule brain. In the middle, is a picture of a human with it's advanced brain. And the very last picture to the left? A combine soldier, where his mutated brain.... Now THAT one made me think for a minute...

Best answers
But here is a bigger mystery:

What is this? I found the pic in my HL2 directory. It was named super combine. When I checked the super combine model, I found combine elite soliders! Can it be a pre-version that didn't get out?

And what is a synth?

You see these things moving in the Citadel. So what do you say? Aftermath enemies?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably. The first thing looks like an unusual combination of a Combine Elite and an Antlion. The Synth's you see in the Citadel, as well as the Combine Scientists. You can put the latter two in a custom map with Hammer v4.0 and fight them. The scientists fire spooky red eyebeams :O

Shadershi said:
so that means that the combines are humans.
There's an ingame texture of a wallchart (I don't know where it is in the game, I found it in Hammer) that shows anatomy and brains of Humans, Apes and Combine. The first two are different, and the Combine is a 'combination' of them, hence the name. I'm not saying Combine are monkey humans, but rather the alien scientists studied evolution and gene spliced humans with other species then sped up the evolution to make a race of highly evolved super humans.

Who happen to suck against a regular human in a Hazard Suit.

EDIT: Just noticed Wolf Devil already made that point to an extent, whoops.

Sicron said:
noo....you will play as gordon...together with alex you will run away from the citadel
That's what they said in the press release, which is strange because at the end of HL2 the gman apparently puts Freeman back in stasis.

Shadershi said:
You're going to see Gordon! Neat!
You see him at the start of Blue Shift in the train, and halfway through Opposing Force jumping into the portal to Xen.

1: Gordon meets up with the G-Man in HL1.
2. Gordon is put into the stasis.
3. G-Man removes Gordon's suit and puts a regular City 17 blue suit on him.
4. G-Man leaves the HEV suit somewhere in Black Mesa where Kleiner'll find it.
That makes the most sense to me out of all the theories, but why would he give it to Kliener to fix up? Come on, he added what, an energy sprint feature at the cost of the longjump? If the gman can control Time/Space then i'm sure he has the technology to give the suit a flight feature or inbuilt teleportation device or something.

I seriously begin to question the gmans powers though. If he had real time/space dominion then why not just stick Freeman in the citadel with the HEV suit and all the weapons he confiscates at the end of HL1 and have him destroy the combine from the inside out, starting with Breen? He proved in the HL1 ending that he can teleport more than just himself (his suit, his briefcase, Freeman, his suit, and his weapons.)

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravey't said:
If he had real time/space dominion then why not just stick Freeman in the citadel with the HEV suit and all the weapons he confiscates at the end of HL1 and have him destroy the combine from the inside out, starting with Breen?
becuase ... omg I forgot the guy's name.. who created half-life.. uh.. jim?..
GABE! yeah.. becuase gabe newell want's more money and to eat you're baby's..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I seriously begin to question the gmans powers though. If he had real time/space dominion then why not just stick Freeman in the citadel with the HEV suit and all the weapons he confiscates at the end of HL1 and have him destroy the combine from the inside out, starting with Breen? He proved in the HL1 ending that he can teleport more than just himself (his suit, his briefcase, Freeman, his suit, and his weapons.)
Becuase if everything was that straightforward and easy, the game would have sucked. Seriously though, there are tons of different explanations you could come up with, beleivable or not. The story isn't finished quite yet, so we'll probably get some more insight with the other releases.

Best answers
That's what makes half life so ****ing awesome. You're always as confused as Gordon... Everything he knows, you know..

Like Slugga said, if everything was so linear, what fun would this game be?! Honest to god, I LOVE being confused. In Half-Life 1, self preservation is my goal, and is therefore the goal of Gordon, and both of us try to find out wtf is goin on. In Half-Life 2? You seriously ****ed the world over. Now you gotta save the world again.

Note: I haven't really finished Half-Life 1, unfortunately, so my facts might be a little messed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom