Half-Life 2: Plot Hole?

Best answers
Yeah, all those mysteries makes the game even better. This is a mortar synth. That means he can shoot:

And here's the slave, but you can't fight him, because the game crashes, when you kill him:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the stalker can kill you, it shoots a red laser beam, but as soon as you kill him or...it you game crashes cos it doesnt have a death animation or a ragdoll

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's what I think happened: Valve made a game with only the bare minimal amount of plot they could stomach to create, and we've all read much too deeply into it and think it's this big deep thing. Most of the HL story is speculative at best. Taking that for granted they probably didn't see much need to check for loose ends, so to speak.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they wanna keep the hl-series mysterious....i wonder how much hl games there will come, but i atleast hope they will clear some things up in hl3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gabe Newell said in an interview that it would be a trilogy (not including Aftermath of course). So HL3 will be the last installment and hopefully have all the answers.

If you consider how much of a jump there was from HL1 to HL2, then apply that from HL2 and HL3, we should be seeing some really amazing stuff. And hopefully a liquid physics system.

Best answers
LIQUID SYSTEM ROCKS!!!!!!!! Imagine of a bucket full of water and then the liquid spills making a puddle!!! That would be awesom!!! And I think that HL3 isn't going to be so surprisingly amazing as HL2, because it will use the same engine

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm...I strongly doubt HL3 would use the Source Engine. Half-Life was released in 1998, Half-Life 2 was released 6 years later in 2004. If HL3 is released in 2010, they'll have improved on the source engine vastly.

Best answers
But can you just imagine what would HL3 look like with the liquid system?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do realize that was speculation... right?

Best answers
I thought Gabe Newell said in an interview somewhere, that they were going to just build on Source for HL3, and because of that HL3 would have a much shorter development time. Also, I wouldn't get your hopes up for proper liquid physics; it's very harsh on the processor. The PS3 can handle it with the cell chip, but I don't think anything like that powerful will become mainstream for PC's for quite some time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be completely honest, i'd be dissapointed if they released HL3 any time within the next five years. The mod community has barely scratched the surface compared to HL1. Give it 5-6 years and make HL3 a huge improvement over HL2, kthxbye Valve.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The original half life had next to no story, it was all totally speculative nonsense that people strung together in an attempt to make it sound like the greatest first person shooter ever; the portal opened, you fought stuff to get out alive, along the way you find Gman, and there wasn't much between. Half life 2 definitely has more 'story' to it in that the characters speak and explain the situation and you have a definitive goal besides survival. It might be a plot hole, but I wouldn't hold it against Valve... George Lucas had a bigger plot hole in episode 3 when he killed off Lea's mother before Leah could ever have seen her to remember her as she claims in future episodes, and nobody seems to care about *that* miscalculation. Anyway half life 2 wasn't exclusively about the story, it felt more like a really fun technical demo of next-gen first person shooters. If the third one has a better story than the last two I'll be pleasantly surprised.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Me too. And for the record lots of people care about the Leia/Padme plot hole, i've seen it on at least 3 forums including this one.

Linking back to what I said about the gman teleporting you straight to Breen, I remembered that Kliener does actually teleport you to Breen for a few seconds when he tries to send you to Eli. Unfortunatley you're unarmed.

"What if Barney gave Gordon his Pistol?"

"Huh? How did you get in here?"
*BLAM*

/Half-Life 2.

Funnily enough, killing Breen does make the game end. You don't teleport any further, it doesn't crash but there's no 'Mission Complete/Failed' either like there was in HL1. Haw!

Best answers
Ha, t3h awesome. Yeah, that is a big question though.... BARNEY, WHY THE **** DIDN'T YOU GIVE HIM A PISTOL?!?! YOU'RE PITTING HIM AGAINST COMBINE SOLDIERS WITH A ****ING CROWBAR?!?!!!

Grrr... when he started to give me something I was likes "yes! Barney, you rock" and then I have a crowbar and I'm like "..... I'm gonna wrap this around your neck when I see you again!"

... That reminds me, I just rescued him from the snipers. I should do that soon.

Sonic, you're right that HL1 wasn't about story, it was about survival... I don't know about you, but I LOVED that little mechanic. I got more enjoyment out of destroying the 3-tentacle pit monster (and trying not to get heard by it and not succeeding for 3 hours) than I did from runnin around in CS scoring frags with a shotgun when I first got HL.

Is there something wrong with that?

(And about that plothole: she's a friggin jedi baby, I'll bet most jedi remember crap from when they were just being born too... and besides, it's a known fact that once you get that damned old you remember stuff from when you were a baby)

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gman is a business man. He's hiring you out to other people, He's most likely just doing what he was told todo

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The young scavenging lad in me decided to mess around with the models in the HL2 folder, and guess what I found?

Animations for the Combine Advisor model! This is probably old, but I never knew he had ATTACK ANIMATIONS! The Synth, Mortar Synth, and Ichthyosaur all have attack animations as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom