Half-life 2: Episode 2

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just passed it then.

I have to say, that was one of the best games I've ever played, interms of atmosphere and character driven story. It was like playing through a really good film.

I'm not going to spoil anything but the ending left me stunned.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how long is it ? is it 4 h or more

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm in the car level right now. I swear, I hated all the crap with the antlions in the mines. Creepy setting, and even worst when you have to get PAST the gaurdian instead of killing it. That thing makes the most intimidating sounds when it's chasing you, and having to find cover by ducking into a little cave you have to CRAWL into is worst. I felt genuine terror when that sucker was chasing me; nearly lost control of the mouse.

Good so far; can't wait to see how it all goes down.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree with that guardian, that **** was nerve wrecking. im running as fast as i can and i start hearing loud snorting and i just start going "**** ****, GOD DAMMIT!"

right now im in the car traveling up the mountain, im hoping theres alot more too it still.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spoiler: Honestly I thought it was poor in comparison to episode 1. It had its cool moments, and I like the ending (hearkens a bit back to Empire Strikes back), but half of it felt like I was playing World of Half Life. "Collect 30 ant lion legs! Now fight through the dungeon to aquire the sacred larva artifact!" And all of it for a side quest, which had nothing to do with the story. Felt like they dropped the ball on writing this time around.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just finished it. As was the case in Episode 1, I had no idea that the ending would be so very abrupt. Although I'm glad we once more got to see large scale environmental stuff going on in the distance. I'm really glad this time around that we got to experience the great outdoors a bit and had large scale maps that really covered some noticeable ground, as opposed to Episode 1 which was block after block after block of bombed-out City 17.

Also, did anyone take note of Kleiner's mention of Black Mesa's competition, "Aperture Science"? I love how this game and Portal comliment each other so well. I'm curious though as to when "Portal" takes place. There's no human or Combine personelle in the whole thing, which may suggest it was abandoned, but then why is the protagonist still there? Or perhaps the facility was refurbished and made to be 100% automated by GLaDOS by the Combine. The facility's projectors still show images of their competiton with Back Mesa, but still I'm pretty sure I've seen a random poster of Doctor Breen somewhere. Though maybe back then he was just the face of Black Mesa.

It all makes me excited to see how Episode 3 plays out. I really hope we either Freeman runs into Portal's protagonist, or at least the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, and maybe the portal gun, if only for a little while. Maybe GLaDOS will still be enough alive to give Gordon some tips, commentary or dis-information.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have to say, i liked the ending. those valve *******s really know how to force you to beg for the next episode.

i liked the variety in this game. there was alot more to be done than in episode 3, and although i didnt go for the achievements it was kinda cool getting them done. *spoiler kinda*my favorite part was facing off those striders, it just kept me going "aw ****, i cant do this, there are way too many of these things." when i did beat them i jumped up and cheered for me. i fully expected to lose then all of a sudden i fire off 3 of those bomb things simultaneously and just unleash this hail of bullets and i win.*end*

all in all i really enjoyed the game. i liked the fact that you audibly went "oh ****...", thats what i think makes a good experience. not even mentioning the vortigaunts awesomeness in the antlion den.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spoiler: Honestly I thought it was poor in comparison to episode 1. It had its cool moments, and I like the ending (hearkens a bit back to Empire Strikes back), but half of it felt like I was playing World of Half Life. "Collect 30 ant lion legs! Now fight through the dungeon to aquire the sacred larva artifact!" And all of it for a side quest, which had nothing to do with the story. Felt like they dropped the ball on writing this time around.
BS, ep2 owns ep1 imo,in every way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hai thur wheres_!

I haven't had a chance to play Ep2 yet, I was wondering if there was a site with a plot synopsis of it? I'm bored of the FPS genre as a whole (read: My PC will never run Ep2) but i'd love to see what's going on in story-line land.

Unless someone wants to write one? =]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remembering back to the mines/antlion den levels, there was this part after you fell down a pit after a wild minecart ride (Indiana Jones can kiss my ass) where you climbed to the top, and right when you reach the top, out of nowhere the Vortigaunt peers suddenly over the ledge at you, right in your path above the ladder, saying, "Ah!" That jumped me out of my skin so bad I think I plugged 10 SMG rounds into his face on reflex. He then mutters something about no pit being complete without Gorgon Freeman climbing out of it, while I literally laughed myself to tears as I realized what had just happenned. I have to wonder if Valve expected anyone to react differently to suddenly having a rhaspy brownish normal-mapped-all-to-Hell alien in your face. If not for the "no friendly fire" stuff HL does, I imagine that Vortigaunt would probably have had his head blown off a few thousand times minimum by now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
all in all i really enjoyed the game. i liked the fact that you audibly went "oh ****...", thats what i think makes a good experience. not even mentioning the vortigaunts awesomeness in the antlion den.
That was awesome.
*spoilers*
After the turrets died, and the final tunnel started lighting up, I went "oh ****" Then they burst in the rescue. They've definitely gotten a helluva alot more badass than we've ever seen them.

Really can't wait to see how they tie off the series with Ep3, or if they move on to a Half Life 3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On Joystiq they said that HL2: Episode 3 will be the last episode of HL2. HL3 will have a whole new engine. Hopefully it'll put Crysis to shame and wrap up the saga with style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom