Hah. Soon we'll be able to buy courage-pills.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A pill that gives cowards courage could be in the pipeline.

Scientists have pinpointed an area of the brain that is vital in overcoming fear.

A drug that activates these brain cells could help people face their phobias, from spiders to heights to public speaking.

Researchers looked at how the brain reacts to ophidiophobia – fear of snakes.

Volunteers with and without a fear of snakes had their brains scanned as they watched either a cuddly toy bear or a live snake move past them on a conveyer belt.

A touch of a button brought the bear or snake closer – or moved them away.

A region called the subgenual anterior cingulate cortex, which helps us process emotions, lit up when those who were scared of snakes exhibited bravery by moving the snake closer to them.

And the bigger their fear of snakes, the greater the activity in the region, the journal Neuron reports.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...scover-secret-feeling-fear.html#ixzz0rhot359K

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is very dangerous. Think of all the bullies that will get a thorough beating by geeks and nerds?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no idea who Jeramy or Matilda is. Am I the only one?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Matilda;

Jeremy;

[video=youtube;WezGcUA9WjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WezGcUA9WjM[/video]

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome, Jeramy can finally tell Matilda how he feels. Except the courage to do so is fake and he'll never truly learn the strength required to do so, leaving him unprepared for life.
I wouldn't count on that. Maybe you'll get your confidence up faster than usual. Maybe it does help you figure something out.
Anyway, imagine the military uses for this. Because that's the first area where they'll use it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Removing fear does not make them reckless. It allows them to keep their heads cool and think rationally as opposed to panicked. There is no advantage to fear in war (on your side, that is).

There's also a possibility that this will reduce civilian casualties.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Courage isn't necessarily a good thing in war. Perhaps for soldiers that are so scared they're having nightmares or dare not stick out their heads in a fire fight, but removing fear from people that don't definitely need it would just make them reckless and dangerous.
It'd be kinda like fighting a platoon on PCP.

And that's a terrifying thought.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think its going to be more of an Adrenaline Shot...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Being courageous doesn't make you less aware of the consequences of your actions, though one might argue ridding oneself of fear isn't the same as being courageous. Courage is typically being able to confront your fear and and carry on despite your fear, rather than there being a complete lack of fear to begin with.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's the point though, you're suddenly able to confront your fear to tame your fear of monkeys and instead you get ravaged by them.

Apply it to something else, you're now willing to confront your fear of snakes, so you go to snake island and get bitten.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not confronting your fear, though. You're eliminating it. Who's braver? The man who fears closed spaces, but forces himself to crawl through a vent or the man who fears nothing and crawls through vents?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valid point, if you need to take pills everytime you want to play with a monkey you're terrified of, is that really meaningful?

As for your question, I could swing both ways, is it braver to confront your fear, or braver to not have any fear?

I don't think it's brave to feign courage by taking medication.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To me, a degree of fear is a prerequisite for bravery. Are you brave because you love sandwiches and decided to make one for yourself? Not unless there's an IED in your fridge. Then the argument of courage vs. stupidity arises.

Taking a pill to rid yourself of fear isn't courageous in much the same way getting hammered so you're oblivious to everything isn't courage.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I figure the pill is a way to deal with hesitation.

So, you don't experience bad fear and sprain your ankle as Jason and/or Freddy is pacing towards you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There ... is an actual Monkey Island?

My god. I'm moving there. And rename myself Mancomb Seepgood.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't seem to find a wikipedia entry for the island, might go under another name and Monkey Island is the english translation.

Still cool nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom