Guitar String.. snapped?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm, do I have to replace the string when it snap and also how do I fix it or replace it? o_o

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the first question is what kind of guitar is it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just tie the two ends back together, it'll be fine.

You can buy strings at your local music store. Tell them what kind of guitar you have and they'll be able to recommend strings.

Best answers
If you have a Floyd Rose bridge, I'd recommend going to the guitarshop/musicstore and let them replace the strings (always replace all 6 strings when 1 snaps).. If it's a standard bridge, go buy a package of strings (again, all 6 strings) and figure out how they are attached..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally when a guitar string breaks, it breaks at one end. If this is true, just take the small broken part out, and re-apply the guitar string, no need to buy a new one. If it snapped in the middle you're ****ed and you get to buy guitar strings which are cheap as hell.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
If you have a Floyd Rose bridge, I'd recommend going to the guitarshop/musicstore and let them replace the strings (always replace all 6 strings when 1 snaps).. If it's a standard bridge, go buy a package of strings (again, all 6 strings) and figure out how they are attached..

You don't have to take it anywhere, it's fairly simple if you know what you're doing and only have to replace the string that you snapped. You can look up online how to for Floyds and floating bridges online but if its a hard tail it shouldn't be a big problem..Just go buy a set of strings.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Once you understand how the tension in each string is, you'll have no problems changing strings.

Basically:

1. Loosen all the strings quite a bit starting from the highest to lowest (thinnest to thickest), in standard tuning that would be E B G D A E (if you do the opposite, the higher strings will snap as they can't bear the tension normally held by the lower strings)

1b. Assuming you're replacing a string, feed it through the guitar and hook it around the tuning peg. Then crank it up til it has just about the same tension as the rest of the strings. You may want to hold your thumb against the tuning peg while cranking it up (makes it have a nice clean wrap)

2. Tune from lowest (thickest) to highest to whatever tuning you desire (EADGBE, DAGFAD, etc.)

3. After tuning all the strings, start with the lowest (thickest) string and tune them again. they should be slightly out of tune, but after the 2nd time they're fairly close.

3b. If you have a Floyd rose trem, do this (it will save time): hit the lowest string open (let's say E). If it's flat, which it should be, tune it a little bit sharper than you want it. Do the same for all the strings (tuning a bit past where it should be) EXCEPT for the highest (thinnest) string. Always tune the highest exactly to what it should be. Repeat step 3b over and over until it is in tune. After you've done it a few times, it'll make sense (the thinnest string has the highest tension, but the least overall effect on the angle of the bridge itself. Over-tightening the lower strings causes it to lay closer to where it should be when you tune the higher strings). Now the fun part, if the bridge of your Floyd isn't parallel to the body of the guitar, adjust the screws inside the back of the guitar to make it lay flat, i.e. if the bridge is sunk into the body, loosen the screws, and vice versa. You'll have to start and repeat this step over and over again.

4. Make any final small adjustments.

They say when you break a string on a Floyd, you should change all 6 strings, but I don't bother. It's easy enough to change a single one if you know what you're doing (or follow my guide above)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, i'm sorry but I have really have no clue what the crap you guys just said. I haven't really practice my guitar since I got it since because I have been taking notes for school. (School first, then guitar.)

The string just snapped. (E), or the first string on the right of the guitar. I have guitar stringes that came with it but I think of replacing all of them (since because people were saying the strings suck when you buy it new) but not sure what to use. I have like a .024 .032 .042 .011 0.016 and 0.009

Oh and my guitar = Squire Strat (Black Eletric)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lith said:
Okay, i'm sorry but I have really have no clue what the crap you guys just said. I haven't really practice my guitar since I got it since because I have been taking notes for school. (School first, then guitar.)

The string just snapped. (E), or the first string on the right of the guitar. I have guitar stringes that came with it but I think of replacing all of them (since because people were saying the strings suck when you buy it new) but not sure what to use. I have like a .024 .032 .042 .011 0.016 and 0.009

Oh and my guitar = Squire Strat (Black Eletric)
Look at your guitar, see how the strings closer to the ground are thinner than the ones closer to you. Take the biggest numbered string you have and that one replaces the thickest string closest to you. So in this case, the .042 is the string which replaces the thickest string on your guitar, aka the string farthest from the ground. Then just work your way down the numbers. The next string is .032, followed by .024 and so on until you get to the thinnest string.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

There is a nice easy to follow guide with pictures and stuff. It is on an acoustic but its the same process so don't worry about it. The only difference is you have to take the strings and push them through the back of your guitar up through the bridge, than pull it up to the headstock. It's pretty easy to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom