Guitar Hero

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys! Long time no see, hopefully I'll be able to stick around more often, but enough of that, has anyone else here played Guitar Hero? Holy crap, what an awesome game. I just bought it last night at work, and I've been playing it since I got home for about 3 hours. I just had to say how much I loved this game, pretty much the most fun I've had i na long time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is the premise of the game? Ive actually never heard of it before.

G
I believe he is refering to this, the offical site is here
by the look of it its a virtual music (mostly rock) game, the controler is a electric guitar you use to rock out to the beat. sounds cool :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, basically it's DDR but with a guitar, and WAY cooler ( i was never a fan of DDR). I just finished easy mode, and it got pretty hard near the end. However I have work in about 4 hours so I'll be crahsing ,but the game is hard to put down, it's a blast.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it actually play tabs,s o you can learnt he guitar and stuff? or is it faked-out?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They list Franz Ferdinand as having written one of the greatest rock songs of all time...

I take it this is like that PS2 game where you play each instrument of a song? I cant remember what its called ATM, but my ex really liked that game.

For one brief shining moment I thought they had somehow put a guitar simulator onto PS2, but I guess not. Is it like that other game, but with better music?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not a guitar sim as much as it is an air-guitar sim. It might help teach the very basic of basics, but really it's just about jaming out to your favorite songs via plastic guitar. Lot of good songs on the game, I've unlocked 30 so far, they range from easy stuff like "I Love Rock and Roll" to really hard stuff like "Crossroads". You can get 2 guitars and jam out together or against your friends as well. Really fun game, in my opinion it's worth getting a ps2 for it.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THIS GAME ISN'T OUT IN CANADA (At least, I sure as hell can't find it) YET AND I WANT IT >_<.

I went to EB on release date, they said we'd have it tomorrow. I went that day, now they're telling me the 16th.... LAME!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
They list Franz Ferdinand as having written one of the greatest rock songs of all time...

... ill finish that sentance with "which is why im not touching it with anything shorter than a bus, preferrably traveling at around 90mph".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually Franz ferdinand is listed as one of the easier songs, further down the list you have stuff by Clapton, Hendrix, Blue Oyster Cult, and more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive yet to find a clapton song which is hard to play tbh. if you read the quote it says "greatest rock songs of all time" which i take enough offense to, to dislike the game already.

point being, the level of difficulty has no grounds on its "greatness" many of the greatest anthems of all time, are so simple its rediculous, take "we are the champions" or "we will rock you" hardly complex, yet they will live forever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying the game is good because it's hard (and it is hard), and in no way am I equating the skill it takes to play this game to the skill it takes to play the real guitar. I'm not challenging your skill either, I'm just saying it's fun. Don't get all elitist on me and bash the game becuase you're such a hardcore guitar player.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im not, i was just giving the reason why i wont be getting it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with Gir on this one. The only song I've ever played that I have trouble with is Eruption by Van Halen.

Even if I had a PS2 I know I wouldn't get it because what's the point? *I play guitar*

If you don't play guitar and you just wanna make it sound like you're good, I guess this is the easier way out than practicing for 30 minutes a day on a real one.

I do have one question though. Do you actually have to do anything fret wise? Chords? Power chords? Notes? Or do you just kinda hold the neck and strum to the beat?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game is hard to explain. Other than the fact that the controller is a guitar, you aren't really playing the guitar in it's traditional sense.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/748/748976/vids_2.html
Watch the video "Rockin' Out to Iron Man" to actually get an idea of what the game is about.

It may look easy, but I doubt it actually is. It looks similar to Amplitude (minus the guitar), which was by no means easy at all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
This game is hard to explain. Other than the fact that the controller is a guitar, you aren't really playing the guitar in it's traditional sense.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/748/748976/vids_2.html
Watch the video "Rockin' Out to Iron Man" to actually get an idea of what the game is about.
Thanks for the link. Though because no one can seem to help me with my quicktime problem, I can't watch/download them :(

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Thanks for the link. Though because no one can seem to help me with my quicktime problem, I can't watch/download them :(
I believe if you use the "watch now" option, it plays in flash? I could be wrong.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
I believe if you use the "watch now" option, it plays in flash? I could be wrong.
Nope. Nothing works. If I click the watch now button I get a big Q with a question mark through it. If I click the "download quicktime/wmp" button I get a big Q with a question mark through it. :x

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically, the guitar has 5 fret buttons on it, a strum flipper, and a whammy bar (and a start and select button). On easy modes, you usually just use single frets (bear with me here, I don't know my guitar speak very well), but as difficulty levels increase, you go into chords, hammer-ons and pull-offs, tempo increases for some of the songs as well. Now some of the songs are easier than others. Franz Ferdiand was mentioned above as one of the greatest, I don't know where that came from, becuase it's one of the easier songs in the game. Here's a ;ist of the songs that are in the game.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/662/662002p1.html

Opti is right, it's a lot like Amplitude, but with a guitar. For those of you who don't know what that is, then it'd just be easier to think of guitar hero as DDR with a guitar. So when you choose a song, you're taken to a screen, your fret buttons are shown on the bottom of the screen. Notes start coming down and you have to have the corresponding fret buttons held down while you strum the beat that the notes are coming at you. Here's a screen.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/928520.asp?screenid=5

If you hit the correct notes in time, then the guitar part of the song will play, if you miss then it will be replaced with a mess-up noise. usually sounds like a broken string or something. For the longer notes, or power chords i think they're called.., you can use the whammy bar to distort the guitar sound, and certain notes will have "star power". If you hit them you fill up your star power bar (using the whammy bar increases the amount it gets filled). Once filled you can rotate the guitar so it's vertical and it goes into rockstar mode, where you get more points and your character starts doing all kinds of crazy guitar moves and such.

That's the best I can explain the game, and while it may not be a good explanation, you really have to play the game to get it fully. Let me remind anyone that I don't think I'm good at the guitar becuase I'm good at this game (Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty damn good ;) ). I know a lot of friends who play the guitar and they all say that the game is completley different than playing the guitar. Even though I'm better at this game than they are I don't think I'm better at the guitar. It's really just the next level of listening to your favorite songs, jamming out to them. I know there are people out there who probably do think that they're badasses at the guitar, but they fall into the same category of people who think they're good at dancing becuase they're good at DDR. I usually ignore those poeple. :)

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, I remember how long it took me to beat Komputer Kontroller on Insane in Amplitude... and how great I felt when I finally did it.

I'm really looking forward to playing Guitar Hero, and getting that same feeling of accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom