Guildwars good game?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm thinking about getting GuildWars, but i'm not sure whenever its a good game or not. My friend tells me its boring, to fast level up. Etc. And others say its good, so i have no idea what to do now. Especially with my crappy computer specs at the moment:

1001Mhz (1ghz)
640MB ram
GeForce 2 GTS
And don't complain about my computer, its just fine :D Even though i wish i could get a faster pc soon. I'm just doubting i can or can't play this game. Specs of Guildwars are 800mhz to 1000mhz. If i can't play this game, how about someone suggest a good game? (which is not montly pay, but can be played on multiplayer like Diablo 2) I love MMORPG games :)

nge

Best answers
It is a very fun game, and the leveling isn't a major part of it- the top level is 20, and you can choose to start with a level 20 charecter or start at the beggining of the game with a level 1. It's a more skill/strategy-based fighting system in PVP, as the max level is not that high and most people will be fighting as such quickly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o__O You can actually choose to start with a level 20 character?

Where's the fun in that? If you do that, then what's the point in playing?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Believe me--Guild Wars is full of people who wish to do so, Shiyojin.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu : Sure you can create a lv 20 character only for pvp.
But you will still need to unlock skills from PVE or from faction points earned in PVP. The skills are what really make the difference in combat.

Bolteh : You can still take people along when doing anything. It'll be limited from 2-8 people depending on where you are in the game.
It's done that way so that missions are actually a challange and don't have 100+ people clearing everything out for you.
About it being a MMORPG. It's not stated anywhere that it's actually a MMORPG. Because infact it is a CORPG (competitive online role playing game.)

It's a mmorpg style game where it's not at all about levelling up and having better stuff simply from playing hours more than anyone else.
The best part is the PVP, which imo is fair and balanced really well.

What you wont see :

Mass amounts of people fighting constantly spawning monsters or raid bosses.
People grinding for levels.

What you will see :
Missions to complete with people or bots and progress further into the story.
Big competition with PVP teams.

So If that's your sort of game you'll like it. It's the price of a regular game with no monthly fee's anyway, so it's not like your wasting any money.

Bolteh2

B
Guildwars -could- be a fun game, if it wasn't for the serious designflaw of making everything instanced apart from the cities.. During questing/grinding, you won't see a single soul, unless you end back up in a city.
PvP is based around premade PvP-arenas which is quite lame, this is, after all, an MMORPG, not an RPG that requires a connection to the internet.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it. It all depends on your taste. You might like it, you might hate it. Going with what other people say won't do you any good. It's like flan, some hate it, other's love it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this is, after all, an MMORPG, not an RPG that requires a connection to the internet.
That is pretty much what Guild Wars is. It's not truly MMO; if you're not into the grandeur of MMOs you'll like it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yup. Think super refined Diablo 3-D.

Except all of the magic attacks look really lame. I guess that's my big complaint about Guild Wars. The graphics are really nice in general, but my god, the spells more often than not look pathetic. I once got this fire elemental skill called "Phoenix", the description being something like "Creates an explosion of fire around you that deals XXX damage, followed by a fiery phoenix that flies at your target. The actual attack is just a bunch of weak particle effects that go out from around me, and then I throw a little baseball sized sphere of glowing red at my enemy... it was totally weak... I was expecting a badass bird of fire.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:

Except all of the magic attacks look really lame. I guess that's my big complaint about Guild Wars. The graphics are really nice in general, but my god, the spells more often than not look pathetic. I once got this fire elemental skill called "Phoenix", the description being something like "Creates an explosion of fire around you that deals XXX damage, followed by a fiery phoenix that flies at your target. The actual attack is just a bunch of weak particle effects that go out from around me, and then I throw a little baseball sized sphere of glowing red at my enemy... it was totally weak... I was expecting a badass bird of fire.
You sure you didn't mess with effects quality or something? :eek:

Best answers
Nah, he didn't mess with anything. That's the actual spell for Fire Elementalists.
It's a good attack though

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Indeed. I found Guild Wars detestable, though. If Diablo were 3-D, it'd own Guild Wars because its characters and environments are far more original.

Since you don't need to pay a monthly fee to play Guild Wars, it may be fun to try out, but in the long run you may as well settle for something like WoW. I don't understand why people are comparing WoW to Guild Wars, they are two completely different style games, and have completely opposite requisites. Guild Wars, being the No-Pay-To-Play Morrowind lookalike, with some medieval looking characters, and a PvP arena developed for team deathmatches--the characters look bored, and unoriginal, the spells and attacks are fairly limited and the total accumulation of players were obviously children. WoW, on the other hand, is worth the monthly fee, and it requires a long-term committment due to its immense world of creatures, quests and levels--there's a good chance you'll see more than 3 players in the most unpopulated areas of its world. PvP could use tuneups, and it'd be nice if the game didn't solely revolve around gear, but its monthly fee is worth it over the money you spend to buy Guild Wars. From experience, even if you weren't looking for a long-term committment, I'd say try WoW over Guild Wars.

Best answers
i play GW and i love it the one thing that will let you down is the GF 2 Sky, i am buying GW:Factions when it is out for the assassin Class( been playing with the assassin in PvP on the 20th -22nd during the Faction PvP beta weekend). think the assassin from Diablo 2

Best answers
i disagree with revitalized prince on almost every point, i like the guild wars art style very much, WoW ont he other hand i find the visuals boring(except the undead they are cool). I like a lot of the games effects, although i don't play an elementalist so i'm not expecting giant visually impressive skills. How is guild wars like morrowind at all, i don't understand that statement at all? The spells and attacks are hardly limited, the warrior class has over 70 skills, and you get 2 proffessions. Now you can't use these all teh same time, the game requires you to *gasp* plan ahead what skills you want. as for the child comment i disagree again greatly and am confused as to why you would compare it to WoW in that respect, the number 1 complaint i hear from people who actually do like WoW is that the game is full of annoying children. Guild wars on the otehr hand i have run into very few annoying kids(although i've met some selfish/immature adults). I don't think guild wars would be worth 10-15$ a month but its definently a good game to play around with, WoW on the other hand wouldn't be worth playing even if it was free.

the people who say guild wars isn't an MMO are correct though, it is more like a better version of diablo 2 than anything else.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Pride, Hito and RP. But Tolore, even if you disagree--and I can accept that, I just can't see how you could possibly believe:

tolore said:
the number 1 complaint i hear from people who actually do like WoW is that the game is full of annoying children. Guild wars on the otehr hand i have run into very few annoying kids(although i've met some selfish/immature adults).
You must play in a different universe than I did. I couldn't step FOOT into a common area without being BOMBARDED with idiotic children trying to spam their wares over and over--the GM's don't control the populace, and heaven forbid you yourself want to sell anything over the obnoxious spam of anyone else.

Not only that, but there's no atmosphere at all. People left and right make the most idiotic names like "MahBoobsRHUGH" and "SirMcCun...Rag" and .. well, you get the picture.

It is because Guild Wars has no monthly fee that it is full of "annoying kids"--the monthly fee keeps those kind of garbage players out, for the most part.

And unlike GW, the WoW GMs have an actual interest in preserving the happiness of their players--it means they keep getting paid. I played over 30 -days- worth of gametime on my Druid, and I did quite a bit of selling over public channels in Orgrimmar and Undercity--and I can tell you, the VERY few troublemakers I came across were dealt with swiftly. The kind of garbage that goes on in -every- major city-zone of Guild Wars isn't tolerated in WoW. They just aren't in the same league.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Inevitably if you make a thread about GW, it turns into a big Guild Wars vs. WoW battle.

I'll try to keep this on-topic and just say: I think Guild Wars is a good game. If you buy it, I bet you'll have fun. If you want to know whether or not to decide between GW or WoW... well, we can direct you to one of the zillion threads that discuss the differences again and again.

Best answers
i can accept yhat you disagree also.

But when i played wow all i heard over shout was A. noobs asking questions, followed by B. 50 people going on and on about how dumb that noob was(no matter how good or bad the question was). And again everyone i know who plays the game whine about the community, and i've read some of the WoW forums. All of those factors lead me to believe WoW is full of children(i'm not saying any of you guys are, most of the people who have posted in this thread about WoW seem like perfectly reasonable people).

For guild wars, how are people children/childish for trying to sell gear? if you don't like it you can turn off the trade channel(i would say 80-90% of the trade spam i see is red, and thus the trade channel). As for the names, no immersion doesn't really bother me, its not REALLY an MMO and thus immersion isn't all that important to me. That being said once your in the instances you get to be away from all those annoying noobs(who are only annoying because of their names and trying to sell gear apparantly, not for being a selfish/jerky child).

i've played a lot of MMO's, and i would not consider GW one of them, but i do think its a high quality game. WoW on the other hand i played and i couldn't stand, i had to use the ignore feature in that game for the first time ever, and i found myself soloing as much as possible and only grouping when i absolutely had to, in most MMO's i like to group as soon as possible.It wasn't entirely the community either, i know theres plenty of fine WoW players, the game just didn't seem to promote grouping to me. Anyway thats my opinion on both games, i didn't like WoW one bit and i love MMO's and i've loved and have been playing blizzard games since lost vikings, so i don't know how they could have lost my interest in that game.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm not in to PVP.. (player VS Player). I dislike that honestly. I just want to know if this game is worth it for me to play. Especially on a 1 GHZ machine with a GeForce 2 GTS video card. If GW is not for me, know any more sweet MMORPG games? That you can buy and play online with no montly fees.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
i can accept yhat you disagree also.

But when i played wow all i heard over shout was A. noobs asking questions, followed by B. 50 people going on and on about how dumb that noob was(no matter how good or bad the question was). And again everyone i know who plays the game whine about the community, and i've read some of the WoW forums. All of those factors lead me to believe WoW is full of children(i'm not saying any of you guys are, most of the people who have posted in this thread about WoW seem like perfectly reasonable people).

For guild wars, how are people children/childish for trying to sell gear? if you don't like it you can turn off the trade channel(i would say 80-90% of the trade spam i see is red, and thus the trade channel). As for the names, no immersion doesn't really bother me, its not REALLY an MMO and thus immersion isn't all that important to me. That being said once your in the instances you get to be away from all those annoying noobs(who are only annoying because of their names and trying to sell gear apparantly, not for being a selfish/jerky child).

i've played a lot of MMO's, and i would not consider GW one of them, but i do think its a high quality game. WoW on the other hand i played and i couldn't stand, i had to use the ignore feature in that game for the first time ever, and i found myself soloing as much as possible and only grouping when i absolutely had to, in most MMO's i like to group as soon as possible.It wasn't entirely the community either, i know theres plenty of fine WoW players, the game just didn't seem to promote grouping to me. Anyway thats my opinion on both games, i didn't like WoW one bit and i love MMO's and i've loved and have been playing blizzard games since lost vikings, so i don't know how they could have lost my interest in that game.
You said you had to use the ignore feature for the first time in WoW. But then you say, in GW you had to turn off an entire channel just to deal with the spam. It's not just about people trying to sell stuff. It's about people spamming as fast as they possibly can. That's annoying, childish and "jerky." And in WoW, especially out of the newbie zones, you never see any problems like that, as opposed to every single major cityzone in Guild Wars--where every single person trying to sell spams repeatedly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The major spammage is a real turnoff for me. I seriously hate that.

Maybe I should give WoW a try. ;o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom