Guild Wars vs, World of Warcraft >:E

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just wondering which you like more an why.

I've never played WoW, only because you have to pay to play. I'll never EVER buy a game, and then continue paying for it just to play it. So I got Guild Wars. And so far I like it a lot. But now I got curious. Which do you think is better and why?

I like Guild Wars because you don't have to pay ^.^ But from rumors WoW is better, (World of Warcrack, etc). Post your opinions.

::EDIT::
I understand that such a thread might result in an argument and/or a lot of flaming. I'm hoping that it doesn't. But if you feel that this isn't a good thread, just close it :)

Best answers
I have played both.. and I must honestly say that GW is better. It is more of a mature game IMO. In WoW.. you can only take so much of the 12 year olds that play =/. In WoW, yes it is big (in-game wise), but they didn't make it up to what it COULD have been. I mean, in GW you can cross-class.. that is so cool. In WoW, you are stuck with one class the entire game. But meh. GW ftw.

As for World of Warcraft being like crack.. no.. just no. You have to be someone who has more time than they should to get addicted to it. I am a lover of all RPG's, especially MMO's, but WoW.. you have to let yourself get addicted to it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kenny83 said:
I have played both.. and I must honestly say that GW is better. It is more of a mature game IMO. In WoW.. you can only take so much of the 12 year olds that play =/. In WoW, yes it is big (in-game wise), but they didn't make it up to what it COULD have been. I mean, in GW you can cross-class.. that is so cool. In WoW, you are stuck with one class the entire game. But meh. GW ftw.

As for World of Warcraft being like crack.. no.. just no. You have to be someone who has more time than they should to get addicted to it. I am a lover of all RPG's, especially MMO's, but WoW.. you have to let yourself get addicted to it.
Heh, that reminded me of a story. My friend Jon was going to let me use his account to play a little of WoW to see what I thought of it. I said "Sure why not" so I took the CD's and installed them. But I never got around to getting his account/pw. So one day his friend Stan rang my door-bell. So I'm like "Hey Stan what's up?" He's all like "OMG! Chris!!! DO YOU HAVE WOW?!?!?!?!? Jon told me it was at your house, and i'm going away for the weekend, and I want to put WOW on my laptop" I was like "o.0 whoa calm down there, yeah I have it hold on" I decided to mess with him due to the anxious hyperactive mood he was in. So I said "sorry man, I can't seem to find it" and he literally grabbed me by my shirt, and yelled at me saying "DON'T **** WITH ME WHERE IS IT!" i'm like "whoa, here man, jeez i was only joking calm down" gave him the CD's and I never saw him again >.>

You can't tell me that's not addicting. It's a true story too :(

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I am a hater of all MMORPG's, then one day I played WoW while visiting my sister, liked it so much, I bought it a few months after coming back home. And right now I have a level 60 rogue :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
I am a hater of all MMORPG's, then one day I played WoW while visiting my sister, liked it so much, I bought it a few months after coming back home. And right now I have a level 60 rogue :p
Actually I have a question about your character. So knowing that level 60 is the highest level right now. When they come out with that expansion which let's you go up in level. When it comes out and say you get it, will your character automatically go up to the level (s)he should be in? Or will you have to level up from where you started off? Also, just curious, why do you like WoW more?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WOW hands down, i brought guild wars after all the hype, and it lasted me a whole 2 days before i uninstalled it. WOW is much more fun on so many levels. Besides, WOW is a great laugh with friends if you dont take it seriously, GW is way too serious and simplistic for me. i like games where i can enjoy myself. jogging around fancy fields with minimum interaction and no sense of humour gets tiring fast.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
will your character automatically go up to the level (s)he should be in? Or will you have to level up from where you started off? Also, just curious, why do you like WoW more?
Your character will stay at lvl 60. Blizzard is planning on releasing a ton of new quests that span from lvl 54-70 in the Outlants. The Outlands is not just a new little sectoin to goto, it is suppose to be a whole new continent in itself. Besides most people stop doing alot of the quests once they get level 60 and start raidings which does not get you very much experiance at all.

I pick wow because its a longer game, more content, more story and better gameplay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer Guild Warshttp://www.GuildWars.com.

WoW is great and all but reminds me way too much of Everquest and I hates me some Everquest.

Before playing Guild Wars I had played many MMOs but the one I was addicted to was a game called Dark Ages. A very old 2d MMO but it had me for some reason. I was addicted since the age of 14 (currently 19) but managed to break my addiction last year when I subscribed for another month (after a hiadas) and just realised that the game is full of noobs, no matter what level anyone was they were all noobs EXCEPT for the handful (literally) of people who've been there since the game first came out.

ANYWAYS -- The reason I like Guild Wars: No monthly payments is a big reason. When there are monthly payments I feel like I NEED to play the game or else I am wasting money, but with Guild Wars I can take big 2-week breaks then come back to the game and pick up where I left off.

Also, there aren't that many 'noobish' people (aka the annoying 12-year old people). Well....that's not entirely true, there are alot, but you don't see them / hear from them as often as in ANY other game I've played, it's like they are too spread out, so that's cool :)

OH -- I forgot to mention leveling. In EVERY MMORPG I have played in the past leveling has consisted of going out with a party and slashing at enemies for countless hours. Of course there were quests but 'hunting' was the main source of experience 'income' -- However, on Guild Wars missions are the main source of experience. I LOVE THAT! It doesn't make me feel like "UGH! I have to go out and hunt again :/" -- It's more like "Wewt! Time for a mission! I wonder what'll happen next in the 'story'! It's be nice if we got the bonus too!"

I don't know, there isn't much I don't like about Guild Wars. And surprisingly, I'm not addicted (a definate PLUS) -- I just enjoy the game.
<center>
My Personal GW Screenshot Archive
</center>

Best answers
At its best, I'd say WoW is better. If you can spare the time it takes to really get into the game, then it's incredibly fun to play. Guild Wars is better when you haven't got the time to spare though. It's kind of like Diablo 2, in that you can just hop into the game, with or without friends, and just have fun playing a few quests for a while. I also really like the way that Guild Wars has got a proper story with cutscenes and stuff, it gives the quests more meaning imo.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WoW and GW are only loosely the same type of game--but if you have to compare them, I'd say World of Warcraft is better.

Why? The monthly payments are a good thing. Because they stop the online garbage "riff-raff" from flooding the servers with idiotic names like "SqueezeMyBoob" and other idiots spamming the trading channels with:
"OMG! BLUE WAND 4 S3L3 PST PST PST PST PST PST PST"

Guild Wars--with no such monthly payment, is ABSOLUTELY FULL of these people. There is next to no roleplaying on GW, and quite frankly, it got boring after two weeks.

World of Warcraft does have a few of those 'idiotic children' but they're kept in line because unlike ArenaNet, Blizzard (to an extent) enforces their rules. Especially if you play on a roleplaying server, it's easy to find friendly and intelligent people to play with--especially as you raise in level, you find that the 'children' don't usually have the coordination to make it through the higher instances.

Technically speaking, GW has better graphics and a lighter demand on performance. But I think WoW's world is prettier and more distinct. Neither game really lets you customize your character's appearance, neither lets you really own land, WoW's crafting system is far better than GW's, and as for the actual atmosphere? Blizzard made a memorable, funny world just like they did for the other Warcraft games, while GW's is pretty unremarkable.

On my main character in WoW, I spent over 30 days of gametime (admittedly, with a significant amount of idling) but I think it's fair to say that I got my money's worth out of the game. I'm glad I never paid for GW--I shared an account with a friend, because GW became boring fast.

In any case, I've moved onto D&D Online beta, which is really epic. There are actual quests, no "hunting grounds." You can't heal infinitely either, you don't regenerate HP/mana, you have to rest at specific resting points and can do so only so many times--so healing spells, potions, etc have a real meaning. This method also makes it so being a rogue and sneaking BY things (You don't get exp for monsters--only for completing the quests) is actually viable. The graphics are incredible, and I find myself wanting to complete the quests just for the story. It's interesting exploring, even the city is interesting to explore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warcraft is 500 times more fun an interesting than Guild Wars if you play with decent people. It is not hard and even a casual player can reach level 60 eventually; you are almost always clearly attempting a goal, and certain classes can play alone well enough that you can reach level 60 without ever doing a dungeon.

The most important difference, i think, is that Warcraft's gameplay is fun and logical. When it comes to Gameplay Guild Wars is a pile of garbage. When I play Guild Wars I am often more confused then enjoying myself; the combat is weak and cookie cutter--while it's in real time the game doesn't make much of an effort to keep you educated on your capabilities. The interface is aggravating, you can only have 8 moves at a time, and the actual fighting itself is fairly brainless when compared to Warcraft's precision-oriented tactics.

I've been subscribing to Warcraft since release and have never felt like I'm 'wasting my money' if I don't play it a lot. When I bought Guild Wars, within an hour I felt like I wasted 50 bucks.

Offtopic: Alea--I've seen DnD Online in action at a big press conference over a year ago. I am dying to play it. Tell me they left in the dice rolling? From the press conference/job fair thing I went to, the designers seemed to have a pretty clear goal--they wanted to capture DnD and put that DnD style stuff into a game that capitolized on all of WoW's (admittedly minimal) shortcomings. The very fact they had a job fair for DnD Online GMs, and that thousands of people showed up in my hometown alone, is a great sign that it will be a great game with a good player base. Can't wait for that...

Best answers
I would say Guild wars in the longrun, once the new content is added and the level cap is increased the game will be much more enjoyable.

Wow is all about high level content, even the new continent is basically just high level content. The one fact that blizzard is missing is not everyone is 60, they have the lower levels who got bored of killing bats, furbolgs,ghosts,werewolves etc. That is for one reason why i heard alot of people quit WoW, the lack of the lower level content, and the boring raids at 60 weren't something to look forward to.

As for guildwars, you can get to 20 in a max of about 3 to 4 days playing time, its extremly easy to level in that game, and until the cap is raised it got pretty boring, the pvp was mediocre,but the pve was pretty fun, i scrapped my necro and turn em into a battery necro which worked out pretty well.

It is all down to opinion, you can either jump on the wagon as it passes and scoops up people, and hop into the world of azeroth, or you can jump into the land of i think it is Tyria? i forget...

Ah well, both games are similar they both have pvp, and both have pve, they just both give it in different ways, however i will say this, it seems blizzard is working more towards eye candy, then actual gameplay toodaloo!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you can either jump on the wagon as it passes and scoops up people, and hop into the world of azeroth, or you can jump into the land of i think it is Tyria? i forget...
It says a lot that you like Guild Wars but couldn't remember the name of the world the game takes place in.

Ah well, both games are similar they both have pvp, and both have pve, they just both give it in different ways, however i will say this, it seems blizzard is working more towards eye candy, then actual gameplay toodaloo!
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If ever there was a game where I had to really strategize my combat thinking, WoW was it. And I don't know if you noticed but Guild Wars is the one with the flashy graphics and hollow gameplay mechanics.

Bottom line, you know what you are getting into when you get World of Warcraft. You know from past experience what Warcraft is all about. And you know that it is good. So for me...any person who ever liked Warcraft or an MMO before should at least try it.

I can guarantee you will want to play it, once you get it. Hell send me 30 bucks and I'll GIVE you my guild wars account.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I havent personally played WoW but I think GW is better, because well...it is free, it has a good community (I dont care about people yelling to sell stuff) and its fun, I just wished it were a bit more in depth in some things, It could use mini games and not only fighting/questing...

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, not that this should come as a surprise, but I like both. I liked the primary quest in Guild Wars. After going on a good, hour-long venture through a jungle that is teeming with fearsome creatures and corrupt, religious zealots, I like to emerge and feel as though something major has been accomplished by me and my group, rather than finding out, "oh...there's another tedious epic quest to cap this particular line of quests off. How fun...".

Then again, I find WoW's scope to be completely awe-inspiring. Warcraft, to begin with, is an epic series (though I really wish WoW took place during the time of WC2, but that's just my preference). Being able to put yourself into that ceaseless, epic battle between the Horde and the Alliance is just too neat. There is also a lot of little things offerred throughout the game that make is very immersive and very interesting.

There is one feature, though, that is very neat in Guild Wars, but seems a bit redundant in WoW - guilds. In Guild Wars, a guild is given the opportunity to have a custom cape, a Guild Hall of the guild master's choosing, and they can hold rather involving battles with other guilds. In WoW, I see little difference between a Guild and a Friends List. Yes, Guilds offer convenience in terms of communication, and you can get a tabard and a tag under your name...but what else? Forgive me for saying this, Blizzard, but you could have either made guilds a bit more of a game element...otherwise, a more extensive friends list would do just fine.

Having said that, though, the battlegrounds in WoW make up for the lack of guild battles, offerring very similar capture the flag and capture the points elements (haven't tried Alterac Valley yet, so I don't know much about that one, heh).

In the end, I guess the preference depends on what type of experience you want. I find Guild Wars, because it is a bit more structured in terms of story development, is very fun to play if you are interested in something along the lines of a cooperative story (not unlike Diablo). WoW strikes me as more of a "traditional" MMO, where the emphasis shifts more toward the community and to an open-ended experience that allows for a player base that more closely resembles realism - you can do what you want, when you want...provided there aren't creatures 30 levels higher than you around.

As I said - I like both.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mogwai said:
Wow is all about high level content, even the new continent is basically just high level content. The one fact that blizzard is missing is not everyone is 60, they have the lower levels who got bored of killing bats, furbolgs,ghosts,werewolves etc. That is for one reason why i heard alot of people quit WoW, the lack of the lower level content, and the boring raids at 60 weren't something to look forward to.
Lol this is funny since 75% of Wow is for lvl 1-55 and they are adding in all new lvl 1-35 content for the new races and the areas they will start at.

As it stands right now there is only 3 instances for lvl 60s. Molten core, Black wing lair and ZG.... Raids at lvl 60 can get boring if you are the type of person that rather be soloing. Like I have been doing Molten core on my druid since early May and I dont even go there anymore, but I got the chance to actually take my lvl 60 rogue in MC and it was like a whole new isntance because I was finally playing the other side of the line. It also depends on the groups and the amount of time it takes you to do the content.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
World of Warcraft by far. I played Guild Wars at my best friend's house, and he even thought he'd wasted his money, and I agreed. The gameplay in GW simply can't stand up to the hours of fun and experience of World of Warcraft. The world is massive, immersive, and while it may seem a bit cartoonish, it's so addicting that you will find yourself staying up until 4:00 a.m. and then saying "****, do I have school tomorrow? What's today? Oh shiznit, I'd better get to sleep. After I finish this quest anyway..." Whereas in GW you have a bunch of 10-12 year olds running around spamming chat (Yes, it happens, quite often.) with stupid crap like "WILL SOMEONE PL ME PLZ?" over and over again. World of Warcraft, on the other hand, prevents this. Not to mention that the PvP in WoW is simply sweeet. I mean, being able to Stealth up to an enemy, give them a hug and a smile, and then give them the finger and whack them dead, simply pwns the GW PvP. Overall, WoW owns GW, and I seriously doubt my opinion will ever change.

- Amnestometh (60 rogue, 60 shaman, 60 warrior, and another 26 rogue).

Best answers
And the fanboys come marching in heh..

Alrighty first off i don't like either, you asked for differences and i spoke of them.

It doesn't matter that WoW doesn't have alot of high end content, the difference is anything added is high level, look at other mmo's it ranged through all levels.

Guild wars pvp is more diverse why? Because you have only i believe 8 skills, you don't start with them all or can switch to them all at your leisure aka WoW.

WoW's PVE is better, but in the long run, guildwars pvp is way better, for reasons play it yourself, WoW is ok in pvp my brother enjoys it, but it just bores me.

Frankly i don't like either games, but i have played them both to high level, guild wars you can get 20 in 4 days, WoW 60 in 4 weeks, either way they both offer very slim gameplay.

The quests in Guild wars are a story line, WoW errm just leave it like that..
Nothing better then collecting the fangs of a raptor, then a rare one that takes hours when people need it as well! Yea thanks blizzard!
Don't get me wrong i love blizzard, but i enjoy their RTS more so meh, its all opinions.
Alrighty then commence the flaming i know you will or just send me pm's to save bandwith, whichever floats your boat.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually in Guild Wars if you go into a town like Ascalon City, you can change your skills. You have all the skills you have earned up to that point, you can only use 8. But you can change them at will as long as you are in a city.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Actually I have a question about your character. So knowing that level 60 is the highest level right now. When they come out with that expansion which let's you go up in level. When it comes out and say you get it, will your character automatically go up to the level (s)he should be in? Or will you have to level up from where you started off? Also, just curious, why do you like WoW more?
I like WoW because there's always something to do, even when you have no one else available to help you out, I always felt a sort of dependency after watching my friend play Guild Wars, I'm probably wrong though, so that's just me.

Aside from the 8 year old e-penis farmers EVERY game will have, if you check out the realm forums on the WoW site, people are pretty cool (for the most part, excluding e-penis farmers). I've been wanting to join an RP server kind of, I can really see how it's fun..then again, I don't want be in the deeprun tram walking up on two night elves cybering while a dwarf is stroking his hand cannon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom