Guild Wars: Nightfall

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ftp://ftp.guildwars.com/movies/gwn-ingamecinematic01.zip

I don't know if any of you have seen, or even heard of it. But Guild Wars: Nightfall is expected to hit stores October 27th. Or if you preorder, then september 15th.

Much about Nightfall is still a mystery. But there is a little information on it. We know the two new GW classes are Dervish and Paragon. Not impressed? Let me explain:

Dervish: My personal favorite. It allows you to temporarily transform into a God, giving you special powers, such as immune to certain nerfs, such as conditions,, hexes, damage, and energy denial. Awhile back there was a PvP free trail of sorts, where you could "test out" these classes. During that time, the Dervish were unstoppable. Very unabalanced. Hopefully that's been fixed, because everytime you casted a spell, added or removed a condition, or did much of anything you were healed for a certain amount, so you always were recieving a lot of health. Thus unstoppable. I never died as a Dervish. They wield sythes, and do AoE damage. So they are close range, and attack multiple targets at once.

Paragon: Not as impressive, it's more of a support character, they can deal damage, while keeping people alive, and shutting down enemies, a mixture of the Mesmer, Ranger, and Monk. They wield spears, so they do ranged damage. I tried the paragon during the PvP special event, but wasn't as impressed, but would deffinately be good for added healing.

As most who have tried out Guild wars know, that Prophecies (the first campaign) was mainly PvE based, with a little PvP in there. Factions was more PvP based, in fact, it was entirely PvP based.

It's said that nightfall will be PvE based, and from what I've played and seen and read, it seems like it's going to be a very very good game, whether you like GW or not. If you want more information, www.guildwiki.org has a lot of information on it. Along with pictures and stuff. Fantastic looking game imo.

Also, incase you're wondering, just like Prophecies and Factions, Nightfall will be a stand alone game. So you don't need the first two to play.

:edit:

if you're too lazy to look at guildwiki:

quildwiki said:
Previews provided during E3 expo (see external links) as well as screenshots and the PvP preview show the use of a North-African theme, with landscape, architecture, art, and creatures inspired by Africa/Arabia as well as ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, and other historic cultures of the North-African/Arab/Mediterranean region.

From the Press Release on the Prerelease Bonus Pack:

Guild Wars Nightfall takes place on the continent of Elona, Land of the Golden Sun. [...] In Guild Wars Nightfall, Elona has fallen under the shadow of an evil, outcast god. Against the encroaching desolation of an infernal realm, the people of Elona will need more than a hero to save them, they will need a hero to lead them ... for nightfall is at hand.

[edit]
Features

Only features that are officially announced by ArenaNet will be posted here!

* 2 new Professions:
o Dervish - "a scythe-wielding holy warrior"
o Paragon - "guardian angel of the Elonian people"

* From Press Release August 24,2006:

Guild Wars Nightfall introduces new customizable Heroes who level up, follow player instructions in combat, and use skills and equipment of the player's choosing. These Heroes will follow the player through savage coasts, ancient monuments, and poisonous deserts during an epic story that spans twenty missions and hundreds of quests. And for the ultimate one-on-one challenge, competitive players can choose to enter the new Hero vs. Hero Battles, where they group with a custom team of Heroes and fight against other players from around the world and their customized groups of Heroes.
guildwiki said:
The Dervish armor will consist of robes, which include bracers for the hands and hoods which symbolize their humility to the gods.

From what was seen during the PvP preview, the Dervish will be a close range fighter wielding a scythe capable of hitting multiple opponents and utilizing enchantments to deal damage, cause conditions, and protect and heal itself. Many of its abilities strike multiple foes, allowing it to be a fierce combatant on the battle field.

The Dervish will also have the ability to temporarily transform into 'the physical embodiment of a god'. This consists of 5 Elite Form skills, each referring to one of the five Gods of Tyria.

guildwiki said:
Paragon is a word which is used to describe anything which is a model of excellence, representing an unequalled ideal of its kind.

Images of the Paragon show that they have been given an angelic appearance with white and gold armor. Their armor is reported to often have wings etched into the back. They wield spears, which are ranged weapons, as well as using shields, which are tied to the Command and Motivation attributes.

The Paragon is a ranged support character, who buffs teammates and helps them combat conditions, while throwing spears at range. The Paragon may use shouts and chants to buff their teammates.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Paragon probably just needs to get a good secondary class to be very effective. The Dervish seems pretty powerfull from what I hear from you, combined with some other classes, this is a serious tank. o_O

Best answers
Can't wait to create a Dervish :) Had one during the PvP weekend and they sure pwn some buttocks.. + the females are hot o/

I can only hope that it will match the greatness of Prophecies' PvE.. Factions was rather lame when it came to PvE (but was made up by PvP)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
Can't wait to create a Dervish :) Had one during the PvP weekend and they sure pwn some buttocks.. + the females are hot o/

I can only hope that it will match the greatness of Prophecies' PvE.. Factions was rather lame when it came to PvE (but was made up by PvP)
Very true. Factions only has 13 missions, and well...factiosn pve sucked. I can't 55 farm anywhere :x

With Nightfall having 20 missions, and new bot commands (and hopefully pet commands) i think that it will be a much better pve game then prophecies could ever be.

Updated original post with link to a movie, as well as more information.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Scythe + God Powers = Fun PvP class

I am being converted to switching to GW.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too bad I wont be able to get this one too, as I am still on my first Prophecies character.

Guild Wars is hella fun though (even though some people Kaination do not agree).

Transforming into a god also seems like an insane idea, i can imagine what kind of skills you would have.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
Too bad I wont be able to get this one too, as I am still on my first Prophecies character.

Guild Wars is hella fun though (even though some people Kaination do not agree).

Transforming into a god also seems like an insane idea, i can imagine what kind of skills you would have.
http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Dervish_skills_quick_reference

Arcane Zeal: Elite Enchantment Spell. For 10 seconds, whenever you cast a Spell, you gain 1 Energy for each Enchantment on you (maximum 5...7 Energy).

Avatar of Balthazar: Elite Form. For 1...48 seconds, you gain +40 armor, you move 33% faster, and your attacks deal holy damage. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds.

Avatar of Dwayna: Elite Form. For 1...48 seconds, whenever you use a skill, you gain 5...41 Health and lose one Hex. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds.

Avatar of Grenth: Elite Form. For 1...48 seconds, whenever you use an attack skill, you also remove one Enchantment from your target, and your attacks deal cold damage. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds.

Avatar of Lyssa: Elite Form. For 1...48 seconds, you have +10 maximum Energy and your attacks deal +5...41 damage to foes activating skills. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds.

Avatar of Melandru: Elite Form. For 1...48 seconds, you have +200 Health, you are unaffected by Conditions, and your attacks deal earth damage. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds. - i'm going to love this one right here

Avatar of Melandru is going to be sweet for FoW forest farming. I really like the fact that you have that +200 health, and that you can't be affected by conditions.

Unfortunately, I heard somewhere that these elites are un-echo-able. So you can't use Arcane Echo on them to use them again, which sucks =/

I also like Avatar of Lyssa, because the +10 energy is always good, energy management is a big issue in GW, and with the game being based around skills you'll be doing a lot of damage.

The damage range for the sythe is 9-41. The only one that comes close to this is the hammer, which does 19-35. I can see a lot of D/R's right now, using Favorable Winds and Winnowing for +10 extra damage, and then using read the wind for even more damage.

I also like this:

guildwiki.org said:
A Form is a (currently) Dervish-only skill type that temporarily transforms the user into avatars or representations of Gods. Forms alter a player's physical appearance, as well as provide positive benefits. Players also have an alternative set of emotes while in a Form.

When a form ends, you are interrupted. This is a hard interrupt that cannot be avoided with Mantra of Resolve or Glyph of Concentration.
::EDIT::

also understand that 48 seconds is quite a long time for guild wars. Also that's with only 12 attribute points in mysticism. With the ability to put a maximum of 16 (or 17 with a +1 mysticism weapon, if there is one) then it will last longer than 48 seconds.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Another expansion that fast huh? Gotta go soon, so can't post as much as I'd like. I just hope this time we finally get to surpass level 20. And imagine, there's a new level of ascension! I always think of DBZ when they talk of ascension.

"This is me level 20! And this is a Level 20 Ascended! And this...is to Ascend beyond ascension! YEEEEAAAGH!!!"

lol ^_^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously...Dervish + Elementalist = pretty f-ing powerfull. Or Elementalist + Dervish...Which one of them gain more energy per level?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
Seriously...Dervish + Elementalist = pretty f-ing powerfull. Or Elementalist + Dervish...Which one of them gain more energy per level?
You don't "gain" energy per level. An elementalist you can slap attribute points into "energy storage" and raise your energy that way. My elementalist is level 16 i believe, and she has 108 energy. You can raise your energy in three ways. 1. Putting energy into energy storage if applicable, this only applies to elementalists. Weapons/offhands. Some weapons come with anywhere from +5 to +15 energy. Offhands go from anywhere to +3 to +27 energy. And energy boosting armor.

J-Dude said:
Another expansion that fast huh? Gotta go soon, so can't post as much as I'd like. I just hope this time we finally get to surpass level 20. And imagine, there's a new level of ascension! I always think of DBZ when they talk of ascension.

"This is me level 20! And this is a Level 20 Ascended! And this...is to Ascend beyond ascension! YEEEEAAAGH!!!"

lol ^_^
Unfortunately Anet never will change the level cap in the game. They base the game on skill rather than level and gear. For example. I've seen a level 3 monk kill off over 20 guys at once using the correct skills. The games purely skill based and strategy based. So the level won't ever change. Sorry to disappoint you.

Also, they plan on releasing a new game every 6 months. I just hope a game so soon isn't half assed. But Nightfall seems to be pretty awsome to me so far. I just hope I'm not wrong :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
You don't "gain" energy per level. An elementalist you can slap attribute points into "energy storage" and raise your energy that way. My elementalist is level 16 i believe, and she has 108 energy. You can raise your energy in three ways. 1. Putting energy into energy storage if applicable, this only applies to elementalists. Weapons/offhands. Some weapons come with anywhere from +5 to +15 energy. Offhands go from anywhere to +3 to +27 energy. And energy boosting armor.
My bad, been a couple of months since I last played Guild Wars, so I forgot alot...haven't played alot with an Elementalist either, Currently have a Warrior/Monk level 17 or 18...should really install Guild Wars again.
But even then...it would still be pretty powerfull.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GuildWiki said:
The Guild Wars Nightfall World Preview Event will be an open beta event that focuses on the PvE aspect of Guild Wars Nightfall.

The event is scheduled for the September 22 - 24, 2006 weekend. It starts at 12:01 a.m. PDT (7:01 a.m. UTC) on the 22nd, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT (6:59 a.m. UTC) on the 24th.

From the Press Release:

"The Guild Wars Nightfall World Preview Event will feature previews of the new environments, new missions, and new battle arenas. The event will allow players to create Nightfall-specific characters from the six core professions as well as the two new Nightfall professions, the Dervish and the Paragon, and try out new Nightfall skills. The entire Istani province of the new realm Elona will be open for player exploration, and players will be able to view the first Nightfall in-game cinematics. In addition, two new arenas will make their debut, the Sunspear Arena and Churranu Island."

It has been confirmed that the event will be open for all. No current accounts are necessary to participate in this event. Unlike the Factions Preview Event, there is no need to obtain invitations from current Guild Wars players.
Incase you aren't sure if you are interested in Nightfall or not, here is your chance to "try before you buy" it. That's right folks, this is open to anyone! Don't have a GW account? That's fine. Didn't get an invitation from a friend? Not needed! Anyone can participate in this event, whether you have GW, or don't have it.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, a chance to try Guild Wars for a couple days... I'm psyched.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
Alright, a chance to try Guild Wars for a couple days... I'm psyched.
Better than buying it and finding out you hate the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might just have to try this out, it sounds good - maybe something to tide me over until Dark Crusade...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dervish > Paragon!

Seriously though, I can see N/P's in the future for Minion Masters, imagine 10 minions, and all their attacks cause burning. That's going to be insane.

Granted the dervish skills were nerfed, they are still indestructable. I can solo pretty much every area thus far in the preview event. I soloed the hell out of a few level 10 chars when I was level 4. Being a Captain helped out a lot. (30 extra attrbute points)

Okay things I love and hate.

Love:
How you can control the bots, tell them to move to a place, stay, attack etc.
How you can completely customize your hero's down to runes, skills, attribute points and even their secondary profession.
How you can change your secondary proffesion at any outpost
How you can now salvage ANYTHING from a weapon, and pick what you salvage, so if a weapon is 15^50 (for those that don't know that's +15% dmg while health is above 50%) you can salvage that now.

Hate:
The new interface, I don't like pressing k and having both skills and attribute points, I'm used to pressing H for attribute points
How everything Nightfall related will be deleted =/ that sucks ass

I love the theme, the egyptian theme is really quite nice.

This is, by far, the best game of the three campaigns, if you don't like this, don't bother with the other two. But I'm loving every second of it so far.

Paragon's are amazing, as are dervish.

I find it hilarious how when a paragon throws their spear, they magically get another one in their hand haha.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I rolled with a Warrior for the tut, then went Dervish for the rest of the game.

I've never played GW before this... so I have to say, if this was a nice way to experience the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom