Growler- First attempt at box modeling

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm trying a new style of modeling. What do you think?

Best answers
I'm sure you would know that the model doesn't seem to match the ref... the nose/mouth part. Because I don't know much about modeling, I can't critique your polyflow. I can just say good luck, it looks ok to me

Best answers
the front kind of looks messed up u should add more polys into the face, but can really crit atm cuz its just a head shape and no features added

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you're a little bit too early to be posting crits. But regardless, welcome to civilization, I mean box-modelling

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SA_Gohan said:
I think you're a little bit too early to be posting crits. But regardless, welcome to civilization, I mean box-modelling
ya ya, it is a bit early, I was a little excited. It's like moving from ms3d to gmax.

Best answers
Edge extrusion works best imo. even for low poly, and definatly for high poly.

I would stick with mastering edge extrusion / poly by poly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bile said:
Edge extrusion works best imo. even for low poly, and definatly for high poly.

I would stick with mastering edge extrusion / poly by poly.
To each his own. :)

I also use edge extrusion for most of my models. I model it all from one single plane, but Box modeling has it's advantages too. I find box modeling best for animal heads and lower poly heads. :)

Best answers
offtopic: is that considered hijacking a thread.....

ontopic: ya box modelling is nice in some ways good for low poly faces ect but poly by poly is my fav

Best answers
sorry for that first offtopic.....

on topic : i like that low poly

offtopic again (sorry ) i ididnt want to create a new topic for that pic...and what do you think about it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
post it to the render thread then ._. there will everybody tell you something about it...

im not a fan of boxmodeling ._." but good start i think...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hijack erased.

please dont do that again, its extremely bad form, and will neither win you friends, or get you any helpful comments.

growler, youve gotten pretty good dude, just keep it up! start posting over on polycount and get some help from them =]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't really say much, except that well... his nose was smashed up guarding his pr0n collection. For a first attempt at box modelling, thats pretty good.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pretty wireframe, great poly flow :O best model yet from you imo

personally, I'd make his jaw bone more defined, goes for eyebrow too

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off, nice progress. Definitely a good starting place for your first box modelling.

Okay, you've got your edge loops in there, but your not really doing anything with them. There aren't really any cheeks, the jaw mushes into the bottom of the head and neck, and the loops you have going around the mouth start at the wrong place, and you don't need that many to boot.

- The polygons that circle the mouth first start at the nostrils, and then loop around the lower lip. You've got them starting at the bottom of the nose, which throws the entire lower portion of his face out of whack.

- He's got no jaw because you've become obsessed with making edgeloops!! Remember, You only need them at the eyes and mouth, everywhere else is fair game so long as your polygon's are almost always four sided. (Of course if you can figure out how to keep lots of edgeloops and still define a jaw, go for it)

- His face looks kind of flat. That's probably because you have a a pretty sharp turn between the front and and side planes of the face.

- His nose isn't properly defined. I mean its there, but the bridge of it is kinda of blending into the face.

Best answers
poly wastage out the ass m8

Good start tho

Key thing about box modeling is to get the shape before adding detail .. right now you have a boat load of polies in areas that need alotta shape fixen .. his head is kinda irregular shaped .. chin isnt really modeled in.. No nostril flare thingies whatever you wanna call them.. the lips have a strange shape .. and are waaaaaaaaay too high poly. you could weld soo many of those loops shut without loosing any quality, or deformation for animation.

Keep at it... ^^ looken good sofar, just work on the shape of the head, and jaw line.. and itll look great

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bile said:
poly wastage out the ass m8

Good start tho

Key thing about box modeling is to get the shape before adding detail .. right now you have a boat load of polies in areas that need alotta shape fixen .. his head is kinda irregular shaped .. chin isnt really modeled in.. No nostril flare thingies whatever you wanna call them.. the lips have a strange shape .. and are waaaaaaaaay too high poly. you could weld soo many of those loops shut without loosing any quality, or deformation for animation.

Keep at it... ^^ looken good sofar, just work on the shape of the head, and jaw line.. and itll look great
Thanks for the great crits guys.. ya, I did go a little crazy with looping and polys altogether.
I'll have another update up by tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom