Ground Combat

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
As the title suggests i want to know whether there will be proper ground battle mechanics?

What i mean by this is, in the previous version, while you could run and walk with their corresponding animations (Unlike the tenkaichi series), any melee move you did made you go right into flight mode.

I was wondering if we could just fight all our battles on the ground without being "forced" to fly. Even if we were thrown upwards, we should be allowed to fall to the ground instead of automatically activating air recovery. There should even be an option to only allow ground fighting in the server, basically turning off the ability to fly. Even having slightly separate sets of animations, basically those showing our feet in contact with the ground, would help a lot in adding to that kind of gameplay. Jumping should not be affected.

While i understand that Dbz battles are mostly about aerial combat, there are times when i just wanna bash some heads without having to worry about being attacked from above and below. Not to mention it makes it a LOT easier to keep everybody in view.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting idea, if implemented correctly, could work out. Let's call it "noob mode"

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It can actually be harder since you actually loose a dimension in which you can dodge.

Also, if we follow your train of thought, all third person fighters like God of War are actually noob games, right.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting idea, if implemented correctly, could work out. Let's call it "noob mode"
I wouldn't shoot it down (pun intended) that quickly. The problem is that melee doesn't really work as well on the ground, I'd expect a lot of rolling.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
God of War takes place 80% in the air lol. Kratos is hardly ever standing around. That said, DMC is a much better series. :p

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just giving an example. And i agree, DMC is a much better series.

BTW, i meant ground as in something you can land on, not the slightly above sea level ground.

Edit: Lugaru has THE best hand to hand combat system ever in a game. I have literally spent more time playing Lugaru then the entirety of GTAIV and Episodes of liberty city combined. And thats no joke.

Last edited:
Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe, as awesome as it would be to have a ground fighting system. It would definitely require A LOT more work than you could imagine. Balancing the game entirely would take a lot of time, I know we got beta testers and all that. But with how we want ESF to be played, we wont have an actual ground standing melee system... There are times currently when you do melee on the ground you do see some ground specific attacks, but to have a full fledged system of its own. If anything this wont be implemented into ESF.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I would love to disable fly and make it like Dragonball.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't mean make an entire separate ground melee system. Just like Demonoid and even i said before, just the option to turn off the ability to fly. I hope thats not too much work.

And i was think Dragonball when i thought this up. :D

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That could easily be done with AMXX and possibly XML. Though I don't know much about these guys and their XML.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well seeing as how the entire point of ESF is to outfly your opponent to get the hit in, rather than an actual fighter. I dont see a future for this idea.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn!

I miss them dragonball fights. :(

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Adding a cvar to disable flight should be really easy, if it isn't in already.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Be prepared to have an empty server.

Here is another idea, have flight only - touch the ground or walls & die.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if its going be unnecessary to add a "Disable Flight" option when creating a server, i hope that atleast automatic Air Recovery isn't going to be there any more.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I guess you could achieve this by lowering the Ki in mid air when the player is recovering. Shouldn't be that hard, and I think Hlev or someone else already made some kind of 'disable flight' plugin, so you can edit that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom