Graphics vs Gameplay: The Great Debate Returns

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We've had this debate numerous times, and I recently had a conversation with a friend that brought the Metal Gear series into the mix. I was trying to argue the point that quite often, better graphics are what compliment better gameplay, using MGS4 as an example.

He argued that graphics don't always make the game, and countered with MGS1. Here's where I feel his argument is flawed.

Yes, MGS1 isn't a graphically stunning game, judging by today's standards. But, when MGS1 came out, it got 9.9/10 from IGN for graphics.

Another game I see come up far too often in this debate is Ocarina of Time. Who doesn't love that game? It was brilliant. People argue that the graphics aren't that good, but could play it over and over again. Again, the same argument is flawed for the same reasons. Ocarina of Time is graphically beautiful, for the time it was released. IGN gave it 10/10 in graphics.

The only evidence I ever see people giving to argue gameplay over graphics, is to point out older games, and then compare the graphics to today's standards. Which is comparing apples to oranges.

Discuss!

Last edited:
Best answers
I thoguht i'd throw out xenogears, this is the only game i have ever played where i think the graphics actively make me like the game less(heck the graphics hurt gameplay in a few spots) and i STILL think it's one of the best games i've ever played.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thoguht i'd throw out xenogears, this is the only game i have ever played where i think the graphics actively make me like the game less(heck the graphics hurt gameplay in a few spots) and i STILL think it's one of the best games i've ever played.
I am actually inclined to agree with you here, but it is still rare to be able to think of an old-school game that I could pick up and fall in love with again, that wasn't graphically appealing, for its own time.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, look at Gothic, even Gothic 3 has worse graphics that other games of it's time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am actually inclined to agree with you here, but it is still rare to be able to think of an old-school game that I could pick up and fall in love with again, that wasn't graphically appealing, for its own time.
Chrono Trigger.

Released 13 years ago and I still play it. The gameplay is so appealing I can totally forget that it looks like crap.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Trigger.

Released 13 years ago and I still play it. The gameplay is so appealing I can totally forget that it looks like crap.
Same goes for FFVII.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Trigger.

I think Opty's argument is at the time of release, the game had exceptional graphics. I tend to think of this debate the way you do, though. If I can ignore the way a 10 year old game looks because the gameplay is compelling, then it must be pretty damn good. Even the worst games of this day and age look pretty good, so it's hard to pick out a game that looks like garbage but plays well without mentioning past releases.

I'm all for great gameplay, but if it looks pretty, that's a major plus.

Best answers
I gotta admin Chrono Trigger was one of the most epic RPG i've ever played. I love the gameplay and all the events through time and space. A game that i will remember for a long time.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like i said, the best example for "Bad Graphics < Good Gameplay" is the Gothic series. Also, to rephrase my last post, Gothic 3 fall into "Bad Graphics + Bad Gameplay = WTF Piranha Bytes".

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Grand turismo 3 = Good Graphics, yawning gampelay imo

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oblivion has Good graphics AND good gameplay. How's that?
No, Oblivion has terrible gameplay. I've never felt less like a swordsmen than when I played that game.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a fun game and I clocked in maybe 100 hours. But really, they couldn't have made the fighting worse. They could have tried to, but it isn't possible without outright breaking the game.

Best answers
Well, i use mods to improve gameplay. Though, you gotta admin that combat system is better than morrowind.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger looks like crap?

Not at the time it came out my friend.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Trigger looks like crap?

Not at the time it came out my friend.
You're not going to find a game that looks like absolute **** anymore. There are very, very few games that come out and look like garbage during the time of release. There's no way for anyone but you to win this argument because we're not allowed to talk about games that look horrible now compared to newer games, but have gameplay that either rivals or is superior to what is currently out.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not going to find a game that looks like absolute **** anymore. There are very, very few games that come out and look like garbage during the time of release. There's no way for anyone but you to win this argument because we're not allowed to talk about games that look horrible now compared to newer games, but have gameplay that either rivals or is superior to what is currently out.
But that's the point of my argument. That you'd be hard pressed to find a timeless game that wasn't graphically good, at one point in its life time.

Which is why pointing out timeless games is a flawed way to argue that gameplay > graphics.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But that's the point of my argument. That you'd be hard pressed to find a timeless game that wasn't graphically good, at one point in its life time.

Which is why pointing out timeless games is a flawed way to argue that gameplay > graphics argument.
The term timeless in this case means the game was good and will always be good regardless of the circumstances. In this case, the circumstances have changed in regards to its graphics because we are now in an era where realistic graphics are possible. These timeless games aren't good because of their graphics. They're good because of their gameplay, which is why we continue to play them 2 and 3 and 5 and 10 years later. Graphics add to the experience, yes, but gameplay is one of the most, if not the most, significant aspects of a game.

If MGS4 is timeless, it won't matter that the graphics look like my mspaint drawings in 10 years. The gameplay will either be good enough to keep me hooked, or it won't.

For many people gameplay > graphics each and every time. I'm not going to spend money to look at pretty pictures. No, I'm going for the interactive experience. If the experience isn't there, then it's just a showcase for graphics, which is fine if it's a movie posing as a game, which mgs4 seems to be, but more often than not, graphics alone just aren't enough. People didn't hail MGS1 because its graphics were amazing. No, we loved it for its story and for the way it played.

I don't understand how one's opinion on a topic that has no right or wrong answer can be proven to be true or false. It just doesn't make sense, and so your argument is flawed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom