Graphics Card or RAM increase...Hmmmm

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Video card all the way, 512MB on RAM is enough. MX video cards are made for photo / graphics design stuff, not for gaming. If i were you, get a new video card.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Does not compute.

"Hey, what do I need? A graphics card or RAM?"
"Not necessarily."
Except that's not at all what you asked. Before being smart, learn some grammar.
May I ask the same question when you can get decent graphics, but it's murder to actually walk around while seeing them?
Looks to me like "If I get better graphics, will I still get low frames per second when walking around?" I really didn't know what that meant either, so I just guessed.
Video card all the way, 512MB on RAM is enough. MX video cards are made for photo / graphics design stuff, not for gaming. If i were you, get a new video card.
The MX cards, at least the GeForce 4 level MX cards, weren't designed for graphics design, haha =P. They were (are) the lowest of the bunch and really aren't meant to do anything except 2D and some '3D'.

Best answers
Considering we're talking about whether to get a better graphics card vs more memory, I'd think it was fairly obvious I'm asking in relation to that question, because that IS what's being asked in the thread.

But since you insist, I'll rephrase

I have decent graphics, I can generally SEE the high level detail stuff, yet frames per second are relatively low. What do I need to upgrade? RAM (@512 DDR) or Graphics card (ATI Radeon 9200SE Atlantis)?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Considering we're talking about whether to get a better graphics card vs more memory, I'd think it was fairly obvious I'm asking in relation to that question, because that IS what's being asked in the thread.
Who could've known from that blind question you threw out there? You know that what you asked made no sense at all. If you feel like being smart about it, then I'll gladly leave this thread. I don't feel like dealing with this crap today.

I have decent graphics, I can generally SEE the high level detail stuff, yet frames per second are relatively low. What do I need to upgrade? RAM (@512 DDR) or Graphics card (ATI Radeon 9200SE Atlantis)?
It could be from any sort of insufficiency: a poor CPU, RAM, VPU. I'm going to say VPU in this case as a 9200SE is by no means new. Doesn't it also have a 64 bit memory bus? If so, then the 9200SE is definitely what's causing your poor performance.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
The MX cards, at least the GeForce 4 level MX cards, weren't designed for graphics design, haha =P. They were (are) the lowest of the bunch and really aren't meant to do anything except 2D and some '3D'.
Actually they were designed to be budget options for gamers short on cash or people who wanted only very casual gaming.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Actually they were designed to be budget options for gamers short on cash or people who wanted only very casual gaming.
Aka "2D and some '3D'." =P

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
GeForce4 Ti Series - Ferocious Graphics Power:
The ideal solutions for:
-Advanced 3D applications
-Extreme gaming
-HDTV/DVD playback

GeForce4 MX & GeForce MX Series - Enjoy The Views:
The ideal solutions for:
-Multiple display & desktop flexibility
-2D office applications
-Web surfing

GeForce4 Go Series - Go Far, Go Fast, Go Everywhere:
The ideal solutions for:
-Mobile business presentations
-Gaming on the go
-Multiple display flexibility

Now hence why i don't use MX cards.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm using a mx440 at the moment, & I can assure you that it's a pile of crap.

Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
GeForce4 Ti Series - Ferocious Graphics Power:
The ideal solutions for:
-Advanced 3D applications
-Extreme gaming
-HDTV/DVD playback
My bad, in my other computer I use a GeForce4 Ti4200... not an MX4200 (I said 420. meant to say 4200)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I bought it, came in the mail and I understand all of the instructions except for the 4 pin 5v/12 v thing.. Where would that be on my compute or do I have to buy tghat as well?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

The one on the right is the +12v connection from the PSU should connect on a very distinguished area on the card.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah yes I see that on the card, but where would I find that on my computer to connect it to?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It comes from your Power Supply Unit, the big box at the top of the back of your case. You should be able to narrow one down in your hairball of wires.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah I found it, however they seem to all be in use. One on the DVD rom, one on the CD writer, and one near the computer switch. There is a non used one, but it is connected with the cord that goes to the computer switch, so it doesn't reach.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The video card should've come with a splitter, like this:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, I didn't get such a thing, even neweggs didn't include it in the picture of what I would be receiving. I'm assuming I'll have to buy one separately now?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shouldn't be too expensive. Although, it's strange that it wasn't included...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also strange that I did not see this one the system requirements...Ah well, maybe Radioshack has it, if not, I can order it online for 89 cents =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom