Graphics card advice

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
Hmm. I guess what I really want to achieve is this: I'm probably not going to buy a next gen console, so I'd like my computer to be capable of reproducing the graphics on next-gen consoles (or damn close to it), if that's even possible now or anytime close to now. Do you think it would be wiser to wait, or wiser to snag that 7800GTX?
7800GTX is fine =).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
The x1900 cards just came out. ATI supposedly are better with image quality & settings and aa/af effects (ATI cards can currently run hdr & aa/af at the same time where as nvidia cards can't if I remeber correctly, plus the x1900 cards have 3 shader units assigned to each pipeline. 16 pipes with 3 shader units assigned to each pipe = 48). Benchmarks also show that when you turn aa/af on at higher resolutions that you'll see the x1900 pulls ahead.

I don't know what the pricing would be like on the cards currently, but you cal also get 256mb versions of the card.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 Price on some X1900XT cards starting from $519.
If my info is right, the 7800GTX was basically designed with HDR in mind... so I don't think that's a problem.

The 1900XT looks interesting though... faster clock by almost 200mhz, and seems to have more pixel pipelines? Though it's OEM, would that give me trouble? (being a non-techie) And why is it those cards are all labeled 512 but the specs all callem 256 o_O?

Well, anyway... by the time I can actually get one of these, the prices will (probably?) have dropped. If that's the case I just might go for an X1900XT since it just seems kinda better in terms of specs, and the OEM version at least is for a marginally (i consider 50 bucks or so marginal) larger price. Again, thanks for all the input guys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
If my info is right, the 7800GTX was basically designed with HDR in mind... so I don't think that's a problem.

The 1900XT looks interesting though... faster clock by almost 200mhz, and seems to have more pixel pipelines? Though it's OEM, would that give me trouble? (being a non-techie) And why is it those cards are all labeled 512 but the specs all callem 256 o_O?

Well, anyway... by the time I can actually get one of these, the prices will (probably?) have dropped. If that's the case I just might go for an X1900XT since it just seems kinda better in terms of specs, and the OEM version at least is for a marginally (i consider 50 bucks or so marginal) larger price. Again, thanks for all the input guys.
It's generally better to not judge by clock speed, as architecture is different from card to card. One may be more efficient than the other (6800 vs X800, respectfully). The X1900XTX dominates in shader performance compared to the 7800GT/X, because it basically has ~2x the shader performance, literally. It doesn't have more pixel pipelines. It has 16 while the 7800GT has 20 and the GTX has 24. It makes up for that by having three shader parts per pipe, which ATi multiply together ( =/ ) to get 48 pipelines. nVidia did the same with the 5800/5900. If you're going to be getting into those, which is the norm nowadays, then that may be fine and dandy for you, but either card will do exceptional in any game out today and tomorrow, most likely. I'd still recommend the 7800GTX, though, as they're just good cards.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
The X1900XT is superiour to the the 7800GTX in every way.
Only the X1900XT is retardly expensive.

Just wait for the 7900 of nVidia to come out(this month?), the prices of the 7800 will drop dramatically.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
The X1900XT is superiour to the the 7800GTX in every way.
Only the X1900XT is retardly expensive.

Just wait for the 7900 of nVidia to come out(this month?), the prices of the 7800 will drop dramatically.
http://theinquirer.net/?article=29314
Accordingly to this article, the G71 (7900) has been delayed till some time in march.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mm... well, I'm not actually going to buy a card until spring/summer, since I don't have any use for a better one right now. I'm trying to plan accordingly. By that time I'm guessing a 1900XT might fit my price range. Either that or a 7800GTX will become real nice and cheap for me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Amazing how ATI and nVidia are playing leapfrog. Rather than releasing all of one generation at once, theyre dragging it out over several months. I guess this must really piss off the people who need the latest and greatest, as their cards arent the best after only a month or so.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Amazing how ATI and nVidia are playing leapfrog. Rather than releasing all of one generation at once, theyre dragging it out over several months. I guess this must really piss off the people who need the latest and greatest, as their cards arent the best after only a month or so.
X1800 was very short lived, and the X1900 just be released, the X1800 was probably one of the shortest high end launches as it was superseaded with the R580 chips not long after it's release.

There are also plans to release a Geforce 7800gs, and from what I can see it performs well. These are jsut rumours but apparently it is possible to unlock them to ethier a gt or gtx, & two models of the 7800gs are also being released on agp (100 & 200 accordingly).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know what would be nice? A consistent naming convention. Whatever happened to a cards number telling you its power? Its all suffixes now, and if you dont know which model is faster, it can be confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom