Graphic upgrade from onboard to PCI not Pci xpress

Best answers
One of my two computers has really **** graphics and it does not have a agp or pci express slot. The gfx card i tyyed ti put in was a Creative 3D Blaster GeForce2 MX PCI
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8885/gf2mxpci8fs4es.jpg

I have turned the onboard graphics off and change the gfx boot settings in the bios to boot from pci it shows all the start up info fine then the screen goes black.

Anyone got any ideas?

Since no one has answered this thread could an administrator close it

Best answers
Hold it man, im answering now so that isnt necessary.

Have you installed your drivers for your card? It sounds like they arent working right or they may be corrupt.

Best answers
I think they were corrupt

im going to do a fresh reinstall of windoes and start all over again. The comps full of rubbish any way will post when its done. I'll also see if there are any more up to date drivers aswell.

Best answers
are you sure you wanna do a reinstallation of windows, this issue can be fixed without having to resort to that. But if you do wanna, then dont forget to save all of your info on a cd or dvd or on a different partition, and to format (not sure if windows does that when installing automatically or what)

Best answers
Nothing on it worth saving. What was on it that was worth saving is already on disk

Best answers
The graphics card? oh and before you do anything, install your mobo drivers first, Unless this is a prebuilt OEM computer like a gateway or a Dell, then the Windows XP cd should have the drivers on it and should've installed them automatically when you installed XP.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
to be perfectly honest, it sounds exatcly like the card is forcing a higher resolution or refresh rate than what your monitor can handle,

usually though they start off at a lower setting though, so im not sure if that actually is the case.

Best answers
the card sort of comes on when it want to but the setting are saying its at
640 by 480 pixels
and at 60 Hz
and at 8 bit colour

but the resolution is displaying 1024 by 768 pixels but the setting are saying what i stated and if i change anything the screen goes all weird. i tryed updateing the driver and still makes the screen go black on restart

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried searching for a bios update for your mainboard?

Best answers
i don't have enough knowledge in that area to even to know where to start looking. But i will try.

I think the card is dead. im going to take it back for a refund.

Best answers
Yeah, just go take it back man, besides you wont be doing any gaming with that kind of card anyway, its a geforce 2, go get yourself a nVidia GeForce 5200 or an ATi Radeon 9550 (both PCI) if you want a good gaming card, and they are both inexpensive (atleast the nVidia card is).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's a machine you intend to use for older games I don't see the harm in it, but to be honest I wouldn't waste my money on it expecting a real major difference. The bottleneck will be having to share the bandwidth avalible to a gfx card on a pci bus, sharing between other devices on the bus (modems, sound cards, other various hardware that may be in there).

Best answers
i only want it to play basic oldish games eg sims and rubbish like that and to go on the net. It plays those games already but the deatail is ***. I use my ohter pc for high end gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom