GPU and RAM (to be leeched soon)

Best answers
Well, since my brother is getting a new computer next week, I was thinking about stealthy ninja-ing his RAM and GPU..

Now, what he has is:
- ATI Radeon 9800 SE 128MB
- 1024 DDR-SDRAM - 133MHz

What I have is:
- Nvidia Geforce 4 ti4200 128MB
- 512 DDR-SDRAM - 133MHz

My first question is: is the GPU an actual upgrade? (GF4 -> Radeon)

Second question: is it possible for me to put his RAM in together with mine?
They're both DDR-SDRAM and both have 133MHz, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, no?

Oh, and I might ninja his 250GB HD to :p

I won't just take his system because the rest of his PC is worse than what I have now, only the RAM and GPU seem worthy enough to take place in this godly 5 year old beast :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure, get them both. The 9800SE won't be a major upgrade, but still worth it. You may even be able to turn it into a regular 9800 with the use of a softmod if it has a 256bit memory bus. The RAM leaves no question. The 250GB HD, send to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
It has a 256-bit memry interface, if that's what you're talking about :)
Sure. There's still a chance it may not work, but I'm guessing it will. I'll give you the info you need when you post.

If you feel like getting into a real time chat while doing it, just send me an AIM message.

Best answers
AIM is hardly used in Europe :) So I don't have it, but I do have MSN.. Or I can hook onto IRC if you'd like..

But I'll wait and see if my brother actually goes to buy that new computer :) I'll drop you a line when it's sure I'm going to get his stuff ^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dammit, Smith beat me here :(. Heh, you'll be like me & have 1.5gb of memory, except it's older and slower ddr266 =P.

Best answers
Ok, small update:
The RAM is working fine, but since I only have 2 slots, I was forced to go with only 1 extra stick of 512, thus my total is at 1024 right now..

The Radeon 9800 is in here to, but can't softmod it due to the 4 locked pipelines being broken (when activated, artifacts show up + extreme overheating)..
With my old overclocked Geforce 4 ti4200, I had 1670 marks in 3Dmark03.. With this Radeon (default), I'm getting 3296..

I also leeched his DVD-writer and CD-ROM stations, also faster than the stuff I had (+ I didn't have a DVD-writer)..

On top of that all, I "stole" his casefan and placed it near my GPU (pointing at it anyway).. Thus I'm quite safe to overclock the Radeon to :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Ok, small update:
The RAM is working fine, but since I only have 2 slots, I was forced to go with only 1 extra stick of 512, thus my total is at 1024 right now..

The Radeon 9800 is in here to, but can't softmod it due to the 4 locked pipelines being broken (when activated, artifacts show up + extreme overheating)..
With my old overclocked Geforce 4 ti4200, I had 1670 marks in 3Dmark03.. With this Radeon (default), I'm getting 3296..
Well that's a shame. Glad to see everything else is working fine, though! =)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
9800 > GeForce4 by quite a bit, actually.
9800SE is what he's got, Cucumba. It's the neutered brother of the 9800.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's getting quite a better 3DMark score, so I would still say it's better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
He's getting quite a better 3DMark score, so I would still say it's better.
The main reason behind that is because the GeForce 4 can't run the DirectX 9 part(s) of 3dmark03.

I'm not saying they're equal, but I'm also sticking by what I said before:
Smith said:
The 9800SE won't be a major upgrade, but still worth it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it can't even run DX9, what bloody good is it to start with? Definitely worth the upgrade, especially since it's just a hand-me-down, and not something you have to buy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
If it can't even run DX9, what bloody good is it to start with? Definitely worth the upgrade, especially since it's just a hand-me-down, and not something you have to buy.
I don't know why this is such an issue. I'm not telling him not to upgrade. I've only said that the 9800SE isn't as great as the 9800/Pro. What more is there to say? You're making an arguement out of nothing.

If you find any sign of me telling him not to upgrade, post it and I'll be quiet, but I haven't. Drop the non-existing issue.

Best answers
Oh well, it's all going well.. I'm able to run HL2 at maximum resolution (1280*1024) and everything is set to high :)

Only problem I'm having is that for some reason, my fps is quite a bit lower in Day of Defeat: Source than with my Geforce (even if everything is set to low).. But in other source games I get about double the FPS DoDS is running at..
People told me it's my CPU bottlenecking the Radeon, but wouldn't that apply to all games and not just DoDS?

Oh, and this card is getting quite hot from time to time.. Think I'll have to take a closer look at the fans (might take the CPU-fan of my brother's PC and attack it to the Radeon ^^)..

On a completely different note: I'm planning to add 4-5 blue UV LEDs to the bottom of my case (so the light is being cast from below my case), but I have no idea how and/or where to start =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom