Got a new pc, but theres a slight problem....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, my dad bought this new pc, sounded awesome.
2.5 ghz, 512 ram, 80gb hardrive, radeon 9100 IGP and a flat screen monitor.
(with windows XP Home Edition)
Anyway, installed a new driver for the video card, and then installed counterstrike. Well, whenever i run it, it stays at about 80fps and keeps dropping down to 60fps which is absurd (my 1.5 ghz pc runs counterstrike at 100fps with 32 people in)

Well, the only explanation i could think of was because of the radeon 9100 IGP, but i still would have expected it to run counterstrike a bit better.
Anyway, might there be a setting set on the pc that could be slowing it down or the monitor or something, or would i be better off sticking my radeon 9200 in there thats in the 1.5 ghz pc ?

Best answers
I have similar problems with Half Life myself. I have a 2ghz processor, Radeon 9600 pro, windows XP and 512mb ram and I still sometimes get low framerates. No idea what it is myself though. Have you tried some newer games to see if you get better frame rates on those?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, tried battle field 1942, and that was totally unplayable, where as on the other pc i can run it with quite alot of people in, on the big maps with half decent settings on and still get about 70fps

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
test new or other sound driver. it might sound weird but i had a similar problem and my soundcard caused that ....

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my half life did that as well when i changed cards, i used to get 100fps constant, but over the years its dropped to around 75 and drops to around 25 if theres alot on screen, and thats after upgradinging my video card 2-3 times, id sell my pc for parts for a new one but its a year and a half old machine, i wouldnt get enough for jack crap

Best answers
Half-Life is an *old* game. The newer cards aren't designed to play antient games like HL (even though alot of people play its mods). The new cards are moreso designed and aimed for handling the higher graphics of the new games, because alot of people still believe graphics make the game, which they do not.

I still hold strong that SNES has the best games ever made.

Best answers
yeah its as stupid as hell i have a xp 2600+, 512mb ram, radeon 9800 pro and when some1 throws a smoke granate i lose like 30 fps.... it falls down to 70 or even less. i guess the game's engine just wasent ment to draw so complicated thinks.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Flat screens have low refresh rates, i think the highest is 60 Hz, so if youre using Vsync, i think your highest fps will be 60.

Me on the other hand, have a 2 Ghz Athlon 64, raedon 9700 pro and 512 DDR Pc3200 Ram. My Fps is always 99. Since that's the max for HL. Trying turning off Vsync, after you've updated all your drivers that is.

Best answers
Vsync always totally kills my framerate. On almost everygame I play, turning vsync on cuts my fps down by quite a fair amount. Should this happen? Sorry if it sounds stupid, I just don't know a lot about these sorts of things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i updated my sound card driver, turned all the opengl settings to high peformace, turned VSync off etc... and then tried Splinter Cell : PT Demo.

Honestly, it was like playing on my old 600 mhz pc again ! fps must have been below 10 !

Surely something is wrong with the pc, because it shouldn't be like that, even if i do have a flatscreen (which mine reaches 75hz) and a radeon 9100 IGP =|

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can be that your pc has bin make wrong, an 512bm 400 mhz just cant work with a 333mhz motherboard.
look what's wrong on the boxes of all hardware, that say what you think is wrong.
btw, the mhz doesn't have to cound for the vid card.

Best answers
Wow.. people complaining about getting 70 FPS in Half Life... I remember years back, people wouldn't complain unless it was 20 FPS. Geez you people, don't you know that the human eye can only see a max of 60 FPS? It makes little difference.
If it's bothering you THAT much (which it shouldn't) then make sure you have your max_fps value set to 100 (if it's not max_fps then maxfps, can't think of it), otherwise use your 9200.

Best answers
Download the newest version of directX (DirectX9.0) from www.microsoft.com and how high is your memory and whats ur proccesor.. if u don't know go to start click run and type "dxdiag" without the ""

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Wow.. people complaining about getting 70 FPS in Half Life... I remember years back, people wouldn't complain unless it was 20 FPS. Geez you people, don't you know that the human eye can only see a max of 60 FPS? It makes little difference.
Ermm, its not that i care about my fps in counter-strike, its the fact that we had to spend £1000 on a pc that should be able to run the latest games (like the sc : pt demo) with no problem at all, let alone a 5 year old game. Please, that didn't help in the slightest.

---
Anyway, i think the pc already came with directX 9.0 (says it has it in the dxdiag) and it has a pentium 4 processor. I'll get back to you on the memory when i can get on the pc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/fps_max "100"
/cl_cmdrate "100"

Hopefully that helps :rolleyes:

OH and what resolution are you running in? Also whats your monitors refresh rate at?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Monitor refresh rate is at 75hz, and the resolution is at 1024x768

I was recommend to knock it up one, but that didn't help any :/

(btw, it says my memory is 448MB Ram)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should be able to have your monitors refresh rate at 85hz max at that resolution.. (depends on your monitor though)

Well.. im not really sure what else could be causing the slowness (not thats its slow but you dont seem satisfied, neither would I but yea.. >_>)

Hmm, well I guess we can try this:

Right click "My Computer"
Click on "Properties"
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Click "Settings" under "Performance"
Click the "Advanced" tab

No tell me the number on Virtual Settings (For ex: mine says 574mb)

I have a weak ass computer and I dont even know if thats good.. but I remember seeing this trick to boost performance a while ago in a thread so mabey someone who knows about this will post what you should have it at :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
If it's bothering you THAT much (which it shouldn't) then make sure you have your max_fps value set to 100 (if it's not max_fps then maxfps, can't think of it), otherwise use your 9200.
just so you know. The human eye can see up to 72 frames per second, your tv runs at 24 frames per second. You could run your game at 30 frames per second and 60 frames per second and see no difference if they were at a constant. But because they arent it looks all distorted. The only thing frames do is slow or speed up what it is your looking at.

For example if you are looking at a screen running at 30 frames per second it will look very fast because as your looking at something running at 30 your eye is looking at 72. And like math 30 and 72 dont match, causing it to look odd. so the reason people want higher frame rates is because the higher your frame rate the more you can see in less time, giving you more time to think and get your aim right. That is why people are complaining. fps has a lot to do with your skill in a game.

when i played 1.1 i started out with software so my fps went from 30-20-35 it went everywhere and i sucked. then i learned about opengl, and i got 60, and 60 was awsome i could fight way better. but when i turned v-sync off, i got 100 fps constant i did a lot better then when v-sync was on. and i didnt get tearing. just some information for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom