Google Shafts Youtube...Again...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Youtube members might recall a few months ago when we realized every profile page on Youtube had changed to a confusing, awkward format that I can't remember anyone liking, and was even the subject of a "GMod Idiot Box" skit.

Well, seems just now Google has decided they're not satisfied with merely ****ing with the UI of our private pages, but now they have to mark their territory further by entirely changing the previously straightforward and familiar video-page format to this clumsy abomination that's been altered to the point that it just doesn't feel like YOUTUBE anymore.

So now, video descriptions are BELOW the videos, the star rating system is gone in favor of a "Like it/Hate it" system. You have to press an obscure small button next to the author's description to see videos by them, so the related videos are in a solid bar of thumbnails lining the right side of the screen. The only thing I like about this so far is a feature that sums up the general consensus on opinions of the video with a "highest rated comment" on top of all the other comments.

Oh, and did I mention everything is ****ing gray? Really, every UI element is either white or gray, I've never seen anything so bland and singularly unappealing. The careful balance of red throughout the video pages made the white-space not feel as prevalent, but now it's suffocating, it feels more like what happens when your Internet acts up and you see a partially loaded page without all the flash or java-scripted elements functioning.

Google, I like you on the most part. You've got the best free email I know, Search engine rocks, Google Earth is bordering on creepy it kicks so much ass, and your additions of captions and HD to Youtube among other things has been a blistering success that has since erased the stigma Youtube once had of being a place solely for watching bad-quality videos, half of them being some ****ty Pokemon AMV. But for the love of God, there was NEVER a problem withe the user interface. Maybe in places, but not to the degree of changing it the way you've just done. People LIKE Youtube the way it is, it's not broken, don't try to FIX it.

If you want to fix anything, compromise and bring back the overall look, same goes for the profile layouts. Nobody likes them, nobody ever did. Sure you added a couple potentially convenient features, but then you forgot the ergonomics of the thing. In a reverse sort of analogy, it feels like having a more comfortable keyboard with all the keys arranged in different places.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can understand why you're upset and sometimes change is bad, but I think that, for the most part, people just don't like change whether its good or bad. I'm not going to complain about the redesigned UI, I'm sure I'll get used to it within a week and everything will be peachy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't get too upset over this, there are worse things in life.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aside from the fact that its been like that for over 2 weeks now. I see no problems. I kinda like the feature that when you search you dont go out of the current video you are watching, but rather the results display below the current running video without even affecting the video itself.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use Youtube a lot, and believe me, the video pages only just changed today. It was NOT like that for two weeks. Plus, they certainly didn't have this odd ASCII setting that lets you watch certain videos in ASCII art form.

But look, I'm all for them adding to the site, but they never needed to change the visual aesthetic. It's how Youtube always was, and always should be. The new UI isn't an artistic choice, it's no art at all. I feel like I'm looking at an interactive PDF file, but more monochromatic.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ive had it like that longer then 1 day. Atleast a week or so.

Though i do have the grease monkey script for youtube installed. (real handy to have XD)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
If this is about the fancy silver overlay I noticed a few times these weeks, I like the change. Looks better in my opinion.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Btw, wanted to add that I very like the fact that the movie description is below the movie now rather than the right.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The logo and the ASCII option for videos is april fools.

By using text-only mode, you are saving YouTube $1 a second in bandwidth costs. Click here to go back to regular YouTube and happy April Fools Day!

(I liked last year's more, redirecting all the front-page videos to a rick-roll)

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not that bad, the only thing I hate about it is how they're managing the playlists. It's ****ing retarded.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think many people really like the new UI. It's kind of a step down from the last one (with the exception of video statistics, those are a fun waste of time).

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The new UI is starting to grow on me actually.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love how they try to make subtitles with "audio recognition"

click on the cc and select "transcribe audio".

edit

screw this, doesn't work embedded.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HAHAHA. Those subtitles are hilarious.. I loved how it said "no" while the music was playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom