Google Buying Valve [Apparently]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As long as afterwards, they keep making games. I don't want Google to buy them just for Steam. If this affects the quality of any new Valve releases, I'm gonna cry. :'(

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they decide not to screw with Valve's gaming division, other than maybe providing additional funding (not like they'd NEED it) then I'm okay with it. Youtube didn't turn out bad afterward.

But I swear, there will be BLOOD if anything they do ****s up HL2 Episode 3, TF2's additional releases, or the next Portal game. Valve has been almost like the Pixar of the gaming world, aside from obviously not being the first of it's field.

I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

G
After what they did to YouTube?

Google had better stay the hell away from Steam.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, look at that:

Update: Valve has issued a series of succinct responses that deny a Google buyout.

"Rumor," Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi told Shacknews, while clarifying to MTV Multiplayer that the entire affair is a "complete fabrication."

Original Story: "Well placed sources" reportedly tell UK tabloid The Inquirer that software giant Google is primed to buy independent developer and Half-Life series creator Valve "any minute now."

If the dubious rumor is to be believed, Valve's PC digital distribution client Steam is a major factor in the acquisition, as many speculate that Google will further expand into content distribution and the gaming market.

"We do not comment on rumour and speculation," a Google representative told MCV. Valve has yet to provide an official response, as the rumor surfaced overnight.

Valve had previously said it was "happy to have that talk" should the company be approached with a buyout offer, though at the time, marketing VP Doug Lombardi stated that the studio was "doing pretty well" and was "really happy with what we're doing."

Faylor's Take: Anything is possible, I suppose, but I really don't see this happening.

Plus, as Blue's News points out, I don't exactly trust the "well placed sources" of a tabloid that specializes in speculation and sensationalism, not to mention one that rarely reports on games and is so far removed from the overall industry.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54784

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That doesn't really convince me. These companies usually deny everything until the deal is set and agreed upon.

After what they did to YouTube?

Google had better stay the hell away from Steam.
What did they do to Youtube? I haven't noticed any changes.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Plus, as Blue's News points out, I don't exactly trust the "well placed sources" of a tabloid that specializes in speculation and sensationalism, not to mention one that rarely reports on games and is so far removed from the overall industry.
Sounds like this person is thinking of the Enquirer and not the Inquirer.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They let youtube keep a lot of their autonomy and independence.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So because there's a thread about it on the steam forums in which idiots are partaking in a discussion, it can't possibly be true? Okay...

As for Valve saying no, most companies in this position usually deny everything. The only thing that will convince me this isn't happening is time.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did your heart skip a beat this morning when you saw the report that Google was planning to buy Valve? The makers of one of the biggest web companies on earth buying the makers of “Half-Life” and Steam?

Tech news site The Inquirer reported the story earlier today, stating that “WELL PLACED SOURCES tell us that Google is going to be buying Valve any second now.” [All-caps emphasis theirs.]

I contacted Valve pr man Doug Lombardi who replied to my request for comment on this news with just two words: “complete fabrication.”

Just to make sure Lombardi wasn’t being cagey, I asked if it’s be correct if we posted that (my words) “Valve says Google isn’t buying the company.” He said that would be correct. So… no sale!
Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/17/valve-on-rumors-of-google-buy-out/

G
That doesn't really convince me. These companies usually deny everything until the deal is set and agreed upon.

What did they do to Youtube? I haven't noticed any changes.
They made some horrible design choices that make it far harder to navigate freely and quickly. They dumbed down the new, ugly video client, added and changed a bunch of buttons that now change window instead of working IN the window thus interrupting your video and worst of all, they broke tabs. Stuff on the Favourites page and a bunch of other pages no longer opens in tabs, you have to open it in the same window.
Not to mention the extra censorship

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From all I've seen, they've done nothing but improve YouTube. You type into something called a search bar, then hit enter. I know, I know. So complicated, right? Everything else, who cares? It's still easy to use. Quit whining.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one love the new feature Goggle has implemented that lists common auto fill searches related to what you're typing. It's great in case I don't know how to spell something I'm looking for. And it almost garauntees what you're looking for exists if it comes up.

And I LOVE the high quality videos. That alone keeps me coming back to youtube, and not even needing to lookup the original versions of any video. Unless it's dinosaur old, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom