Google announces operating system, takes gmail + other apps out of beta

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool! :)
I can't wait for Google to make their own OS. I believe that it will be better than Windows anyway.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool! :)
I can't wait for Google to make their own OS. I believe that it will be better than Windows anyway.
The question is. How will it be supported. Im guessing if it deosnt include windows extention support. Itll end up like linux. A great operating system with allmost no game support.

Best answers
that's weird like a week ago I had a random conversation with someone that Google would at some point partner up with Linux or some other operating system to monopolize what they've got. Never thought they'd make their OWN OS. That's just ridiculous...

How are they gonna protect it from being hacked and manage compatability? They've gotta use Linux...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
How are they gonna protect it from being hacked and manage compatability? They've gotta use Linux...
Google managed to do just fine with all of their software, so I'm sure they'll do fine with the OS as well.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The appeal of their OS will be based, for me, almost entirely on how many apps are available from third parties for use on it. The majority of the reason why I don't use my copy of Ubuntu all that often is because, while it is absolutely marvelous at getting my basic computing done, it lacks the, essentially, epic amount of applications available for Windows (that, and laziness on my part; Linux has a wealth of apps, but some take too much monkeying around to get to work :p). The same, in my opinion, goes for MacOS X (though I don't care for that OS for reasons that go beyond the smaller number of applications available).

Polish is nice; an aesthetically appealing layout is nice. However, it won't amount to much for me if it doesn't capture the breadth of what's been made for Windows.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZOMG! Google never stops.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is...Is Google going to take over the world?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Foolish and puny Earthling developers(That how Morbo would have said that), they should have done it after vista was officially announced as a BAD OS, man that was a key area to make Microsoft go down down down.

Best answers
i doubt that they can make a better OS then W7.. they will need at least 5 years of work.
Hope im wrong :)

success

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Google makes Google Chrome browser. Microsoft releases a search webpage. Google makes an OS. It's like a chess game.. What will the next move be from microsoft?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel like Apple has the high end computer market (66% of all computers bought for over 1000$ are macs) and Google is moving in on the low end side of the spectrum as this looks to be aiming more towards netbooks. Microsoft might be happy in the middle.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel like Apple has the high end computer market (66% of all computers bought for over 1000$ are macs)
Perhaps I've just not used a Mac recently enough to know, but, despite the $1000+ price tag on your typical Apple computer, I didn't think they qualified as "high end" compared to a similarly-priced PC. Wouldn't that make the statistic you quoted a bit... misleading?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By high end, I just meant expensive.

Best answers
It could be more of a publicity stunt too. Like... we're so great, we're making our own OS. Buy our stocks so we can invest heavily in our next project.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well google always seem to come out with high quality software. Google maps, google earth, chrome, their search engine, gmail and much more; all Amazing applications that I use. However I think MS has an edge here. But let's see things play out. I don't expect google to half ass this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The google people will probably make a completely backwards compatable OS like Windows 7 but that appeals more to the general public, as in even more user friendly. Though seeing what windows 7 can do now and what's planned, MS should'nt worry much in the near future, 5 - 10 years - maybe, now - no.

Best answers
It sure isn't a bad thing if a big company like Google want to take part in the operating system market for PC's. Competition is especially good for us consumers, but bad when it comes to running specific software that's only available on another operating system (which is why a lot of us are windows users). Seems like Google are trying to get around that problem with web based applications.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
don't forget, it's open source too.

also, this is only going to be launched for netbooks.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well google always seem to come out with high quality software. Google maps, google earth, chrome, their search engine, gmail and much more; all Amazing applications that I use. However I think MS has an edge here. But let's see things play out. I don't expect google to half ass this.
Yeah man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom