Goku

Discord Member
Best answers
Well recently I had to format my comp so i lost all my models.......and i was bored so i started modeling this
Credits go to Dawidskiwan for his ref :]

Best answers
So far soo good , it will be gr8 if you'll make something special with his mouth , maybe animate it

Discord Member
Best answers
Well.....i'm not good at rigging or skinning.............Polyflow and modeling are my only good side.....If someone is willing to skin or rig when im finish ill gladly hand over the model....

anyhow here is an update

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhm 2 polys are the difference between the updated and outdated?

get some more progress to show off....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Pixel: He added more to the side of the head.

@Shadowcast: That looks a lot like my first DBZ model did when I started it. As a tip, you're going to be hit hard with crits from the other modellors here if you keep that gridlined style and start with the face, cause you'll have huge problems with the back of the head later.

What I'd do, is start out with a whole head, by starting with a box with one division down the center, and two divisions across horizontally. Then start using the vertices to create a VERY rough example of the shape, and then add detail as you go. That way, you already have the back of the head. It saves a lot of time.

Also be aware that your model will take a LONG time to make, at least until it's correct in the minds of the modellors here (the serious ones anyway). I started my first one at the beginning of summer, and its STILL not finished because I have to keep remaking it. Polyflow is a B**** to understand too, so expect this to be a long and grueling process.

Good luck man. Oh, and for further information on that technique, look at the "mass-blocking" video tutorial on " poopinmymouth.com ". It''l give you a basic idea on how to set the beginning vertices.

Best answers
J-Dude said:
@Shadowcast: That looks a lot like my first DBZ model did when I started it. As a tip, you're going to be hit hard with crits from the other modellors here if you keep that gridlined style and start with the face, cause you'll have huge problems with the back of the head later.

What I'd do, is start out with a whole head, by starting with a box with one division down the center, and two divisions across horizontally. Then start using the vertices to create a VERY rough example of the shape, and then add detail as you go. That way, you already have the back of the head. It saves a lot of time.

Also be aware that your model will take a LONG time to make, at least until it's correct in the minds of the modellors here (the serious ones anyway). I started my first one at the beginning of summer, and its STILL not finished because I have to keep remaking it. Polyflow is a B**** to understand too, so expect this to be a long and grueling process.

Good luck man. Oh, and for further information on that technique, look at the "mass-blocking" video tutorial on " poopinmymouth.com ". It''l give you a basic idea on how to set the beginning vertices.
I model the same way :/.
And I think many people start modelling the head by extruding from the eyes and the mouth... I could never made a head with a box modelling technique, it?s not my style.
Anyway he started completly wrong. If he started extruding from the eyes, he did it wrong, you can see that from his polyflow... and the polyflow isn?t good. he has too many useless polys.

Discord Member
Best answers
I havent extruded anything.............im working poly by poly:]
I cant work on it till weekend..........I hate school
I ll try to fix the polyflow

Best answers
shadowcast said:
I havent extruded anything.............im working poly by poly:]
I cant work on it till weekend..........I hate school
I ll try to fix the polyflow
Did you really set every vertex by vertex and then created every poly by poly? Extruding the edges would be much simplier and less time comsuming...

Discord Member
Best answers
Yup.........I dont mind it........once you get a hang of it.........its pretty fast ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Kreshi: I think it depends on what res he's making the character. But yeah, polys are being waste at the point right below the eye. You might as well weld the vertices at the bottom of the eye to the edges just below them, because they don't seem to serve a purpose. And btw...you can extrude edges? I thought that was just a face/poly feature *blinks*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
@Kreshi: I think it depends on what res he's making the character. But yeah, polys are being waste at the point right below the eye. You might as well weld the vertices at the bottom of the eye to the edges just below them, because they don't seem to serve a purpose. And btw...you can extrude edges? I thought that was just a face/poly feature *blinks*

god..... just..dont...talk something like that.... "depends on what res...." please

god, maybe he does one poly, you say lowpoly, then he subdividies and its unnaturally highpoly?

..... there is no decision how to work for what resolution, you just do it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...obviously for a HL model, you'd have to really keep things rough and low poly, in which case here there'd be tons of wasted polys. But if this were say, for a high res video that depends on accuracey, then it wouldn't be so bad, because eah poly is rounding off a feature that's otherwise too sharp.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
erm, what PiXel meant (i think >_>) is that what kreshi was saying had no relation to poly use at all, extruding edges is just a quicker way of working, it doesn't really increase the poly count, just means you get those polies there all in the correct places in about 1/10th of the time.

About the model, it looks like its coming along well atm, though i agree with kreshi, edge extrusion is much easier and less time consuming, remember to bring those cheekbones forward a little otherwise you're not gonna get such nice views from 3/4 view D:

Discord Member
Best answers
Ok thx for all the help
I started using edge extrusion and its pretty easy and fast
well here is a small update.......i think i fixed some of the polyflow.........made the ears........and soon ill start the hair

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Well...obviously for a HL model, you'd have to really keep things rough and low poly, in which case here there'd be tons of wasted polys.

.... no.... the HL engine is able to handle even a highpoly, also Wasted polys are poly wich have "no use" as it would be a waste to use them.... thats why they got the name for....

its for example a planar polygon used as a 2 polygon but it could be replace as 1 polygon withouth destrubing the polyflow....

shadowcast... it looks all ok, get more into it, work more, you look to much at what you?ve done for now, later you will say, damn it looks sucky, ill stop...

you have better start from the beginning on very fast so the interest is still there.

Best answers
who cares if it take 3 minutes with pbp for 10 polys or 1 minute with extruding as long you have time + it should make fun, no matter how long it takes you to finish it. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh?! You're telling me what he's doing works, and that it automatically has good polyflow??? If so, then I'm Soooooo trying this out! I want to finally finish that friggin model, lol! I'm stiuck on the arm tho, since Axman's refs aren't for all sides...kinda' clueless as to what to do, it's like a gaping hole. Well anyway, looking nice from where I'm standing. Am I to assume the hole where the mouth is will be filled with an edge-looped mouth, or will it be squared?

Discord Member
Best answers
IM not sure about that polyflow deal but ok............
Here is some more progress........still the hair to go(damn it....this will make me rip of half of mine but heh:talk: ) also put in a lil extra.......a render :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom