Gods of War (your opinion)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting Gods of War. What's your opinion of it from 1-10, and if you know a better (PS2) game please list.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good game, but given how similar the gameplay is, your probabaly better off w/ devil may cry 3 its better by leaps and bounds.

GOW is just to slow, and the combos arent as free-form as i was lead to belive by the videos. you also only get 2 different weapons in the course of the game. (if i remember right)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i liked the game, interesting puzzles, and combat is pretty fun.
you get 2 weapons, but they each have 5 levels, and each level adds like 2 extra moves

only problem i have with it is that the directions arent... well... it doesnt tell you what to do for puzzles, like theres this one area, where there are movable stones in the room, and you have no idea how to solve the puzzle or what to do.

but its pretty cool, good story line and stuff.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
God of War is a lot better than DMC3. On a sidenote, I checked and Gamespot gave GOW a 9.3 rating and an Editor's Choice award, while DMC got an 8.6.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get DMC3 first, it took me 70 hours to unlock everything.

If your shoulder still hasn't healed in that time then God of War is for you. It's like DMC - Speed + Boobs.

Oh, and Gamespot rankings don't mean it's better, it's just the reviewers oppinion. Every gaming magazine i've seen that's reviewed the two put DMC3 on top, and as I own them both, I do too.

Best answers
I've been waiting for this game for a while. Looks really impressive from what I've seen, hopefully it won't dissapoint.

it doesnt tell you what to do for puzzles
Well it wouldn't be a puzzle if it told you what to do now would it? I assume it's not like DMC, in which every puzzle involves hitting stuff with your sword until it breaks/opens/moves?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's definately more to do in DMC3, but God of War is better. Gameplay, graphics, interactivity... just a really well-crafted game. DMC3 was cool, but the dialogue was a bit cheesy (could be a good or bad thing depending on your taste). DMC has more replay value though.. I only played through God of War once and was thinking about trying god mode... but it just didn't offer as much as DMC3 did. DMC3 has so many different styles (gunslinger, trickster, swordmaster, royal gaurd) then you end up unlocking two more (which i can't remember right now). You can play the game 6 times in a completley different way each time.

God of war is more impressive, DMC3 is more fun.

Best answers
I played it, beat it, loved it lol. I thought it was one of the best games iv played in a long time. I recommend getting it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:

If your shoulder still hasn't healed in that time then God of War is for you. It's like DMC - Speed + Boobs.

Oh, and Gamespot rankings don't mean it's better, it's just the reviewers oppinion. Every gaming magazine i've seen that's reviewed the two put DMC3 on top, and as I own them both, I do too.
you forgot big boobs, and thongs

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not just Gamespot's reviewers.

God of War:Based on 6,095 ratings: Average Rating: 9.5 SUPERB
DMC3: Based on 4,162 ratings: Average Rating: 9.3 SUPERB

The fans and reviewers opinions agree with each other. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bubble burst, even if there's only 0.2 in it.

DMC3 and GoW aren't as directly similar as everyone thinks, DMC3 has better combat, but that's all it has. GoW has more adventure, deeper puzzles and is less linear. They're two very different styles of 'Action Adventure' game. Despite that, DMC3 still lasts longer and I found it's deeper combat system, more weapons + styles and greater versitility to put it above GoW.

Have fun beating DMD with a broken shoulder though :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Bubble burst, even if there's only 0.2 in it.

DMC3 and GoW aren't as directly similar as everyone thinks, DMC3 has better combat, but that's all it has. GoW has more adventure, deeper puzzles and is less linear. They're two very different styles of 'Action Adventure' game. Despite that, DMC3 still lasts longer and I found it's deeper combat system, more weapons + styles and greater versitility to put it above GoW.

Have fun beating DMD with a broken shoulder though :p
Nah, I can play ps2 very well :)

On topic: People are saying both ways are really good and its confusing me :p
MaybeI should get both? I've been saving for a ps3... but it comes out somewhat 2007 (i've heard). By that time I'll have a job :).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're going to get them both then start with GoW, it's easier. Moving on from DMC3 to GoW (slower, simpler combat) would make it too easy. Whereas GOW's God Mode would set you up nicely for DMC3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, for DMC3, do I gotta beat in chronological order (like dmc1,2) to get it? (storyline, characters, etc)

Best answers
Well, chronological order would be DMC3, DMC1 then DMC2 ;)
Still, I'd reccomend playing them in order, you get to appreciate the additions and stuff that way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
omfg you must not have played gow very much. the combat system is very diverse, you need to play it more, and dmc is just abunch of button mashing,

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, so I have about 240$. I'll buy DMC2 and 3, GOW, and another game.

Can anyone else name a good game for ps2 thats not DMC or GoW?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Timesplitters: Future Perfect is one of the best multiplayer shooters I ever played. It's Goldeneye 2005 basically--very fun in a group.

If I had to recommend one for the money, I'd say Psi-Ops. It's old but cool.

I didn't really like DMC3 because they took away too much--instead of being an all-around awesome badass, you can only do one of Dante's several signature things at a time.

Any game where I have to keep dying to level up my skills just so I can beat the first boss has something wrong with it.

God of War was a phenomenal game--they could've done more with it but it is still a great game. The puzzles are tricky but there aren't that many, and some of the combos are just nuts by the end (Sword of Artemis can cut some enemies clean in half at max level, heh).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
omg dude do NOT buy dmc2. it sucks. get 3 and gow.

dont want you wasting 50 dollars.

Best answers
I thought DMC2 was pretty good. Better than DMC1 gameplay wise at least, though the story did suck (and they ruined Dante's character). DMC3 is definitely worth buying though, one of the better games I've played this year without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom