Gmax vs Milkshape?

Scientist Slaughterhouse - Fun or not?

• Its awesome!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its alright.

• Waste of a download...

• DIE YOU WHINY LITTLE SCIENTIST! BWAHAHAHA!

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats better? They are both free, which is easier to use, which is more effective, which can produce the best results.

And can i do that thing where you load up a ref pic, then plot points to make models and stuff?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
google both, and try both out. gmax wont be as simple as milkshape, but itll have better features as well, and more flexibility.

make your own choice =]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gmax is completly free, Milkshape has a 30 day trial, but costs $20.00 to register.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats what i was getting at, BOTH of them arent free, lol

i say milkshape is better mainly cuz of its import/export functions. AFAIK theres not many games you can produce content for with gmax alone

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats true but i think you could get free plugins for exporting certain types of files for gmax

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
would the world really implode if some1 released a free modeling program you can actually do **** in...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can get plugins to import/export .smd files and you can use MDL compiler to compile the model. So if you are just doing stuff for HL1, then there are ways to do it without milkshape. The only problem I have with milkshape is the lack of BASIC MODELING TOOLS. Juding from the last time I used milkshape [ms3d 1.7.2] the tools are very annoying to work with. The extruding tool for example is very difficult to use to. Because you can't actually extrude out a set of faces in the direction you drag, you have to type in numbers, and for a brainless guy like me thats very inconvienient :p. I say go with Gmax, I think you will find it to be more comfortable to work it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yup gmax should be better. in ms3d it would take one hell of a time to click one face without it clicking other faces.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
gmax is a complete ***** to convert models for though.

Best answers
DarkSniper said:
yup gmax should be better. in ms3d it would take one hell of a time to click one face without it clicking other faces.
haha, not when you hold shift. you can easily select and deselect with shift without losing the other selection =)
I'm a master at regrouping xD, if you're a new to modeling and want to make stuff for games then ms3d all the way o/\o *highfive*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is not even a decent question imo.

Gmax is way better IMO, why? 'Cuase you can use it and if you like upgrade to a very professional program, 3ds max. That is widly used in games and movies around the world. Where milkshape is prolly just weaker at modeling and everything else but has some nice export functions...

You can just get a plugin for max. With even more functions than Milk.

You can do more with max. Less with milk.

Think about it. Might be a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil bit harder to learn but not really... Since there is prolly more max tuts out there.

oh and why the heck would you get the milkshape trial when you can get the 3ds max trial...

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom