GG skins models too sometimes!

🌠 Staff
Best answers
Posted this on the nnk forums, but yup, learning to skin ><, its a pain in the ass. That and I had to pick a character that was white too =( As far as what im gonna do with this model i have yet to decide. Thanks to Kama for his teachings, much more to learns, hope to see more from me.

Enjoy Casshern!, The GG rendition based on the Casshern Sins anime!

Oh, and btw, the glowy eyes arent made with photoshop =) YAY rendering tricks!

Last edited:
whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll get there, maybe a character with more actual texturing next time would help too :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice Casshern

Well im no expert on skins (nor models) so ill just give you a random crit ^^

I think you gave him to much muscle defenition. And the C sign looks kinda distorted because of that.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice Casshern

Technically it's texturing or painting a color map, skinning is a secondary part to rigging where you map vertex weights on the mesh to the rig.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Technically it's texturing or painting a color map, skinning is a secondary part to rigging where you map vertex weights on the mesh to the rig.
Not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure that form of skinning only refers to 3D Studio Max, which of course not everyone uses. But I have only used Max and Lightwave, so I don't know for surez.

Anyway the skin is alright GG. I don't know the character but from the ref shots posted it looks like the chest emblem is wrong and the black lines on the suit should be thicker around the thigh and shoulder area. Also his eyes look pretty distorted from the front and a little cross-eyed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure that form of skinning only refers to 3D Studio Max, which of course not everyone uses. But I have only used Max and Lightwave, so I don't know for surez.

Anyway the skin is alright GG. I don't know the character but from the ref shots posted it looks like the chest emblem is wrong and the black lines on the suit should be thicker around the thigh and shoulder area. Also his eyes look pretty distorted from the front and a little cross-eyed.
I'm talking about Maya... the be all and end all :p

Max, Maya and XSI all use this convention, the only rigging/skinning programs that matter.

Also GG what do you use to UV? I'd seriously consider switching to roadkill if you don't already use it.

Last edited:
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Nice Casshern

I think you gave him to much muscle defenition. And the C sign looks kinda distorted because of that
Eh, thats where i kinda went off on my own on the model. I felt he was too plain and it woulda been boring to skin somethign that didnt have a little definition =/

Ya, its not the greatest skin, i picked a funky color to play with. Even kama was tellin me white was gonna be interesting. I suppose I can attempt to fix the emblem. as for the distorted Eye, ill look into it, since im new to this whole texturing thing, i thought it looked ok =/

Also GG what do you use to UV? I'd seriously consider switching to roadkill if you don't already use it.
I used just the plain 3ds max UV mapping system. it worked out pretty well I think.

As far as this model goes, its skin practice, i spent a good solid week workin on this one. so after i fix it up a bit ill probably store it and move on. I have a whole assortment of quick models im going to be making to practice skinning on. =O

🌠 Staff
Best answers
Skin numba 2!!!!!!!! of my skin practice models =x, most of you older folks will prob remember this one <<

crits/comments appreciated as always, (btw this is only a piece of this project, theres more to come at a later date due to esf/nnk mod work i must get too T_T)

ps. wheres, it was uv mapped in roadkill just for you ><

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Skin numba 2!!!!!!!! of my skin practice models =x, most of you older folks will prob remember this one <<

crits/comments appreciated as always, (btw this is only a piece of this project, theres more to come at a later date due to esf/nnk mod work i must get too T_T)

ps. wheres, it was uv mapped in roadkill just for you ><
Haha nice one, roadkill is pretty good hey? The edge functions make unwrapping so much faster.

🌠 Staff
Best answers
its faster to unwrap everything, but to get the maps how I want it exactly takes about the same amount of time just about that UV mapping in max does

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said on MSN, love it! <3

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It means "You ain't afraid of no ghost"

Looks hot though XD